Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » Disney Cruise

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
“The Great Adventure of...
By MerryCarey
05-17-2012 11:16 AM
30,966 Views  0 Posts
Bells The REAL First Christmas
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:34 PM
0 Posts
Gift 4 Re-Gifting: Yes or No?
By MMC Editor
01-25-2013 09:05 AM
Last post by Bradmac
04-14-2013 05:01 PM
43,519 Views  2 Posts
Gift 2 Book Review: Good King...
By MMC Editor
10-29-2012 12:50 AM
86,235 Views  0 Posts
The Art of Wassail
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:19 PM
43,898 Views  0 Posts

Old 01-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

usafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Disney Cruise

Hey everyone,

Just curious to know if any of you have ever been on a Disney cruise? My wife and I just secured our family reservations for New Years Eve 2012. Of course, it is a Christmas surprise for my two children. I'm thinking of special and unique ways to present this to them as a Christmas gift. If any of you have any ideas, please share...I'd appreciate them. I'll have to post their reaction on youtube or something. I got a kick out of watching other family's videos...just type in "Disney Christmas surprise" and you'll see all kinds of heartwarming home videos.

I never thought I'd be spending New Year's Eve on a cruise, but from the experiences I have read on the internet, it seems fun. Because we have young children, my wife and I are typically home bodies on New Year's Eve. We don't drink or typically partake in the festivities that are common with New Year's Eve, but part of the reason why we secured a Disney cruise is because of how family conducive it will be for us. The trick will be getting my daughter (who will be 3 1/2) to stay up until midnight for the fireworks and stuff. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Like anticipating for next Christmas, counting down to this trip makes the year seem long. I'll just have to take it one day at a time and enjoy the year for what it is worth. Hopefully 2012 will be a good year for our family.
Christmasstar (02-18-2012), lauriebear (01-25-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 07:00 PM
*<[:{) Ho ho ho!!!

Last Achievements

Thanked 70,038 Times in 13,920 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Sounds like a great time, I am jealous. I know you will enjoy it Disney always does a great job. I don't know a good way to surprise them yet, maybe have someone dress up as Santa and tell them about it as a surprise.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,380 Times in 9,029 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Lucky you! I am assuming you are cruising out of Galveston? We just took a Carnival Cruise out of there in October. I heard that Disney will be there November 2012 and we are thinking about taking the grandchildren on one.

I am sure someone on here will have some clever tips on how to present it to them. I hope you post the video when you do!

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Last Achievements

usafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Yes, we are cruising out of Galveston. I was surprised to see that Disney would include Galveston as a port. I've never been on a cruise so this will be a first for all of us. My wife has been to Disney World before but not on a cruise.

The agent I secured the cruise with stated that Disney is using Galveston 2012 as a test year. If it does well enough they may opt to continue with it, but she did mention that there is no guarantee that Disney will port in Galveston in 2013 as ships (outside of Florida or LA) can alternate between other ports. So if you do want to book a Disney cruise out of Galveston, this may be the only year to do it as there's no telling if/when they return to Galveston after 2012.

Where did your carnival cruise sail to, if you don't mind me asking? We're sailing from Galveston to the Cayman islands, to Cozumel, and back. Did you do any excursions? I haven't received anything that explains how this works (in terms of setting all this stuff up). Hopefully it isn't too difficult. I have had friends that told me that Cozumel isn't as great as it can by hyped up to be. I wonder if we can just stay on the ship that day?

As far as surprising my kids for Christmas, I thought about packing in a box one huge mickey helium balloon and several smaller helium balloons. Attacked to the string on the mickey balloon could be something like a toy boat. The thing is, my son will be 7 by then, so he may get it. My daughter will be 3 1/2, so I don't know if she'll necessarily understand it at first. I'm sure she'll be able to grasp the excitement of it once we're aboard.

I'm getting excited. I wish there was a way to fastfoward to that moment on Christmas morning. Again, just have to take it one day at a time and enjoy other parts of 2012.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
We went to Cozumel and Progresso. You do not have to get off the ship but you might want to just to check out the little shops they have right there at port. You should pick up some vanilla in Mexico! Some of the best and a great price. I wish I would have bought more. We didn't plan any excursions, we just went mainly for the ship experience. It was my husband, mom and dad's first cruise and my second cruise.

I am not sure if you already have a passport. You can travel with your birth certificate and photo id but they recommend a passport so we all got one for the cruise. With a passport you can fly out of your ports if there is an emergency whereas without one it is more difficult. Either one works fine though! Don't let that one worry you!

What kind of room did you get? Inside, balcony, or just a window stateroom? We got a suite but it is WAY cheaper on Carnival than a suite is on Disney cruise. I doubt we could ever afford one on there!

You can pre-order gifts to be in the stateroom before you board the ship. You can even have the room decorated, for a fee of course. I bought my husband a t-shirt and cap that was in the room before we boarded the ship with a birthday greeting card on it since his birthday was just a couple of weeks later.

Carnival is nice but when we looked into Disney it is a whole lot nicer and very kid friendly. They have so much to do on there for them. Just remember, you will be pampered BIG TIME! Just relax and enjoy every minute of it!!!

We stayed at a hotel in Galveston the night before we left that has a view of the ships arriving in. That was impressive! We watched our ship come in the day of our cruise. You can even leave your car at the hotel parking lot for the duration of the cruise for a small fee and walk right to the port in the morning! Their parking is closer than the port parking and I think their fee is like 50 bucks (or more?) I will pm the info to you if you are interested.

Send me a message if you have any more questions. I had a ton of them since it had been 20 years since my first cruise and had to be refreshed on a lot of things.

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

Old 01-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Last Achievements

Thanks for the information! I'll have to PM you if I have any other questions.

The room we booked is a stateroom with a 4 foot porthole. We were looking into the rooms that have the balcony, but they were significantly expensive plus we felt a little uneasy having a balcony with a 3 year old. Not that our kids would ever be unsupervised, but just the thought of knowing that a ledge only seperates one from the open sea is nerve racking.

The good thing is, because we booked with a disney agent, we received $275 on board credits. The funny thing is, when looking at the prices of things, that $275 won't last very long. At least it is something. I have no doubt we'll probably spend more than we anticipate. That always seems to be the way it is when we go on vacation.

The only thing we have to do now is secure passports. I understand the need for them incase something happens where we need to fly back to the states, but the $500 to obtain four passports is steep, particuarly since we won't opt to use them much outside of this cruise. I've thought about just forsaking the passports and just using birth certificates, but the way murphy's law tends to work, we'll end up needing the passports that we bypassed...or end up not needing them when we spend $500 to secure them.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
It must be wonderful to cruise with Disney...

Last week we have visited the river Ems overpass of the "Disney Fantasy". She was build in the Meyer Shipyard in Papenburg. That´s about 23 Miles away from the North-sea. So she has to drive over the small river Ems.
So awesome....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6nS_...kTyJaPBSd2IxC2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqtta...kTyJaPBSd2IxC2
Old 01-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Old 01-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Last Achievements

That is amazing...what a sight to see. I bet that river is pretty wide but looks small when a disney cruise ship is sailing down it.
Sabine (01-28-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Since just about everything is included on the cruise (food, food and more food) we only put in $150.00 onboard credit and spent about 50 bucks! Even room service is free! We are not into drinking or gambling and we bought very little merchandise. They issued us a check at the end of the cruise for the remaining balance. We prepaid all our tips in advance then gave a little extra to a few who went the extra mile. I don't know if Disney has that option or not. I do know that Disney has a lot of things for kids onboard that will be nice to buy! Some of the entertainment for the kids cost as well. You are all going to have so much fun!

I don't blame you one bit for not wanting a balcony when you have small children. I even found it frightening at times just looking off of ours! We were on deck 7, that's a long ways down!

Sabine, that is an amazing photo! Those ships are incredible when you see them at port!

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Sabine (01-28-2012)