Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Archives > Hall of Fame » Christmas Countdown - 2008

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Hall of Fame Over the years we have had many memorable discussions and events. Archived here are closed discussions we like to look back on from Christmas past.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,131
Threads: 54,237
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,523)
Welcome to our newest member, SShoebrid

Old 12-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Official MMC Countmeister

Last Achievements

Thanked 25,312 Times in 2,896 Posts
Crown 84 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintCrown 84 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintCrown 84 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintCrown 84 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintCrown 84 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintCrown 84 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintCrown 84 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintCrown 84 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintCrown 84 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintCrown 84 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintCrown 84 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Christmas Countdown - 2008

** OFFICIAL THREAD - CHRISTMAS COUNTDOWN 2008 **
After meeting great success at its initial launch at Christmas.Com during 2004 (1217 posts) then over 2,700 posts for 2005, our official countdown thread was imported to The Christmas Place in 2006 where it garnered 3,756 posts!
In late July of 2007, the thead made its appearance in this forum. Despite a late start, it still attracted 1,956 posts.
Well, here we are ready to go again, at the start of 2008.

A word of explanation. We are running a dual countdown in this thread - one for Christmas Day and one for the start of the Christmas Season (November 13). Most of us have agreed that we look forward to the entire Christmas Season rather than just to Christmas Day.
Why November 13? No reason, really. It just seems about the right time to regard the season as arriving. It is exactly 6 weeks before Christmas Day and is about the time the country at large is beginning to get into the holiday spirit. Most of the stores have decorated. And starting the season then gives us exactly 50 days (Nov 13 through Jan 1) to enjoy being "within" the season.

We also like to note "milestones" along the way such as the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 marks. At 90% complete, we launch the "home stretch" as we coast into the final days before the season begins.

Well, climb aboard, enjoy reading the posts, and follow the count, which begins today at 317 to the Season and 359 to Christmas Day.
(See the special leap year note at the end of this post.)

Here is a convenient list of our Season countdown milestone markers. For the equivalent figure to Christmas Day itself, just add 42 days to any date below.

January 17 = Day 300
February 12 = 1/4 mark
March 15 = 1/3 mark
April 27 = Day 200
May 15 = 1/2 mark
July 14 = 2/3 mark
August 05 = Day 100
August 14 = 3/4 mark
October 07 = 90% (The Home Stretch begins)
November 13 = THE SEASON ARRIVES!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
- CROWN

**A brief note for those who appreciate precision.
Yes, 2008 is a leap year which slightly alters some of the milestone dates.
I did not re-calibrate the milestone marker chart since the change would only alter the 300 day marker by a single day and the percentage markers by a fraction of a day. The 200-day and 100-day markers would not change since they fall after Feb 29.
If I think about it, I will point out the change when the marker date in question arrives.

Last edited by Crown 84; 12-31-2007 at 10:36 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crown 84 For This Useful Post:
CharlestonNole (12-19-2008), Christmasstar (05-24-2011), dowab (12-13-2008), irishgirl (06-05-2008), Iron Eagle (12-28-2008), MaureenMulligan (11-14-2008)

Old 01-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Invalid Email

Icee Racer has shown a merry disposition
I can't wait to begin another countdown to the 2008 Christmas / holiday season.

207 Days Until The July 25, 2008 (Halfway Through The 2008 Countdown)
318 Days Until The Official Start Of The Holiday Season!
358 Days Until Christmas Day!

Let the year round buildup to the holiday season begin now.

Last edited by Icee Racer; 01-01-2008 at 01:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Icee Racer For This Useful Post:
MaureenMulligan (11-14-2008)
Old 01-01-2008, 02:54 AM
Mistletoeologist

sila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
itss here the 2008 countdown! thanks crown xxxxxxxxxx
and a happy new year to you all xxxxxxxxxxx
Old 01-01-2008, 04:22 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,158 Times in 715 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
Whoo hoo the 2008 countdown has begun, only 300 odd days to go!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,673 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
I agree..let's start the countdown only 358 days to go. And of course I can't wait. In the meantime I will continue to take more decorations down today..but can't wait to decorate again next year. I am thinking I may start even earlier than I did this year. There never seems to be enough time. And I don't want to wait a month or so before Christmas. Anyhow...Happy New Year Everyone!
Old 01-01-2008, 10:43 AM
MMC Musicmaster & Programming Director of Merry Christmas Radio

Last Achievements

Thanked 2,677 Times in 564 Posts
JayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companion
We're back in the saddle again!!!

Happy new countdown everyone! And thanks Crown!!!

jay
Old 01-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Mistletoeologist

sila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
i will take the decorations down on friday
just think this thread will be here next xmas!!!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 10:55 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,271 Times in 2,303 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Thank You Crown!

Crown organized the current countdown as we know it with milestones along the way to peak our interest!

The first countdown to appear at Christmas.com was in 2002 and was started by savingstar, so I guess this the sixth year for some of the old timers! This will be my fourth or fifth ride on the countdown!

Great 2008 Everyone!
The Following User Says Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 35,525 Times in 6,831 Posts
Binger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Binger signing on... again... Happy New year to all and to my special friend Crown who imported this thread through cyberspace to this location... I am here and ready to rock....YABBA!

CELEBRATE LOVEMAS~
DARLENE LOVE ON LETTERMEN, DECEMBER 23, 2014!
The Following User Says Thank You to Binger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 35,525 Times in 6,831 Posts
Binger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBinger leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I took everything down today- it is all packed up- all in the basement- place looks bare, but I know it wouldn't be special if I left it up year long! Hey- I am already looking ahead to the 17th and the first milestone.

CELEBRATE LOVEMAS~
DARLENE LOVE ON LETTERMEN, DECEMBER 23, 2014!
The Following User Says Thank You to Binger For This Useful Post: