Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,832
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 05-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener
Last Achievements

jiminmanjr has shown a merry disposition
Half-faded C7 bulbs

Happy May, everyone!!

The other day I glanced at my box of Christmas lights. These are the lights I hang on the roofline of my house. You can see a picture here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/1684d8f5.jpg

As can be seen, the "tops" of the bulbs have faded. The tops were facing the sky, and after a couple years, they are showing their age.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a "fix" for these lightbulbs? Is there a paint that could be applied? Something that could bring back the red color??

And if not... Any suggestions of what to do with these bulbs? They all still work, they have just faded.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you!!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 74,665 Times in 14,904 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I don't know a good answer for that, but if someone may know it might be JeanetteDi http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/member.php?u=7692 She works for Christmas Lights Etc. She might be able to help you out, I know I've had questions she has answered for me. I hope I helped a little.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:21 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,930 Times in 2,417 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
I've had this issue before. Extended exposure to the elements is definitely the cause -- all those bright sunny days, I suppose.

But I've never heard of a fix for it.

I've sent an email to Jeanette to see if she can help us out. Maybe Tim knows, too.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

Storeytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I would most definitely replace them as the cheapest fix. C7's are cheap, especially if you buy them online. I know one decorator that used to paint his bulbs that were faded. He used stained glass window paint.

I'll guarantee you, that would cost more than the C7's though, not to mention the time involved. Plus, if they're old enough to have faded that much, you wouldn't want to invest time & money in painting them only to have them burn out after a short time.

One of our vendors here, Christmas Lights, Etc., has a box of 25, Red C7 bulbs for $5.75. That's only 23 cents a bulb. See here:
http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/...lbs--15118.htm

If you really want bulbs that will never fade and will last you light years (no pun intended) longer than traditional C7's, replace them with C7 LED retrofit bulbs. It will cost more up front, but will use a fraction of the electricity, and like I said, will not fade and last a long, long time.
http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/...-25--18548.htm
Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by Storeytime View Post
I would most definitely replace them as the cheapest fix. C7's are cheap, especially if you buy them online. I know one decorator that used to paint his bulbs that were faded. He used stained glass window paint.

I'll guarantee you, that would cost more than the C7's though, not to mention the time involved. Plus, if they're old enough to have faded that much, you wouldn't want to invest time & money in painting them only to have them burn out after a short time.

One of our vendors here, Christmas Lights, Etc., has a box of 25, Red C7 bulbs for $5.75. That's only 23 cents a bulb. See here:
http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/...lbs--15118.htm

If you really want bulbs that will never fade and will last you light years (no pun intended) longer than traditional C7's, replace them with C7 LED retrofit bulbs. It will cost more up front, but will use a fraction of the electricity, and like I said, will not fade and last a long, long time.
http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/...-25--18548.htm

Not to come off like a jerk or anything but a Light year is a measurement of distance not time
Old 05-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Christmas Decoration Expert
Last Achievements

JeanetteDi has shown a merry disposition
Hey jiminmanjr,

The damage I'm seeing in those lights are definitely sun damage. Though it is possible to repaint with transparent glass paint, we actually do not suggest painting the incandescent bulbs. Color matching would be difficult, and chipping may also become a factor. Since incandescent bulbs are relatively cheap, I would suggest replacing them.

A factor to consider if you are buying replacements is the dip count. Bulbs that have been dipped in dye more than once tend to hold their color longer and have truer color. A good retailer will tell you how many times their bulbs have been dipped. Double dipped and triple dipped bulbs make for great incandescent C7s and would have a longer life when it comes to sun damage.

Hope this helps!

-J
The Following User Says Thank You to JeanetteDi For This Useful Post:
xmastidings (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

Storeytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by Billy Battles View Post
Not to come off like a jerk or anything but a Light year is a measurement of distance not time
You're only half right Billy Boy. By scientific definition you are correct. But, light years has become a slang phrase in American English that can mean a vast amount of anything including time. Context, context, context young man.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 12,730 Times in 2,167 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
I as well, find it easier and cheaper to just replace them. I usually put up anywheres between 5000 - 10,000 lights up every year and for the longest time I was running strings of the C7's along my driveway and about once a week I would come out in the morning and the string was cut in half. After setting up a camera, I found out it was rabbits.

So, instead of throwing out the whole strand, I would remove all the bulbs and put them in a bag for spares. So, if ever you have a bad strand, remove and save the bulbs, you will find that this will also save you some money in the end.....
The Following User Says Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
Storeytime (05-09-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener
Last Achievements

jiminmanjr has shown a merry disposition
Thanks for all the information and experience, all! I know that painting the bulbs would be extremely time-consuming, but I wondered if it could be done in some way (just to try it).

I will check out the link from Storeytime and see about ordering some replacement bulbs.

Ho Ho HO!!!