Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,832
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 12,459 Times in 1,595 Posts
merrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by Lacim84 View Post
My parents live in Arkansas and I live in Texas, about 10 hours apart. Granted, it is easier because they don't visit during the holidays. They make a point to stay away during that time, which I'm rather thankful for.

However, it doesn't stop them from constantly bringing it up. I NEVER bring up the subject of holidays, religion or anything of that nature simply because I know how the conversation will end. My Mom is a very persistent women, she truely believes I will one day change my ways, and stop celebrating holidays.

And yes, we thankfully have a wonderful circle of friends and a hand full of family members that we share a love of Christmas with. My husband's parents are like mine, they do not observe holidays either. But we do have a few extended family members that we get together with, including my brother-in-law and his wife and kids.

Most importantly, we have eachother. And as long as I have my husband and my two amazing kids, I'll be a happy woman.
you have a great outlook on things girl!! good for you. wow, isn't that something......your b-i-l celebrates the Christmas season too...was he raised in the same home as your hubby? if so that speaks volumes!!!

anyhoo, you just join in here w/ us & celebrate all you want doll!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Downtown Pittsburgh Santa
Last Achievements

Santa Johnny Boy has shown a merry dispositionSanta Johnny Boy has shown a merry disposition
22 16x16

Lacim84,

Thank God that we live in a country where one is allowed to make choices!

I play Santa Claus in a department store at Christmas time (the best job in the world) and I am surprised how many foreign families come to visit me because they don't (or aren't allowed to) celebrate Christmas in their country.

I remember the time, there was a married couple in their 30's who wanted to sit on Santa's lap because in their country, it was, "the most illegal thing that one could do".

They appeared to be middle eastern but I don't know exactly which country. The were dressed normally and I would not have thought of them as being anything but American born. I gave them the full Santa treatment, "have you been good?, doing your chores?, what did you want for Christmas?", etc. They both laughed and had a picture taken.

When the picture was brought over, the woman looked at it and cried. She told me, "We could have been put to death for having done this. Thank God we're Americans now."
caninemom3 (09-24-2012), Gingerbread Latte (09-27-2012), Holiday (08-30-2012), ItsAWonderfulMovie (06-24-2013), joyful (08-30-2012), Lacim84 (05-25-2012), lauriebear (06-11-2012), merrymistletoe (05-26-2012), snowflake22 (05-31-2012), Solice (06-13-2012), xmastidings (06-29-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,269 Times in 5,920 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Santa Johnny Boy View Post
Lacim84,

I play Santa Claus in a department store at Christmas time (the best job in the world) and I am surprised how many foreign families come to visit me because they don't (or aren't allowed to) celebrate Christmas in their country.

I remember the time, there was a married couple in their 30's who wanted to sit on Santa's lap because in their country, it was, "the most illegal thing that one could do".

They appeared to be middle eastern but I don't know exactly which country. The were dressed normally and I would not have thought of them as being anything but American born. I gave them the full Santa treatment, "have you been good?, doing your chores?, what did you want for Christmas?", etc. They both laughed and had a picture taken.

When the picture was brought over, the woman looked at it and cried. She told me, "We could have been put to death for having done this. Thank God we're Americans now."
A beautiful story ... with Memorial Day around the corner, it's a reminder of the freedoms our armed forces have fought and died for. Thank you.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (06-07-2012), ItsAWonderfulMovie (06-24-2013), lauriebear (06-11-2012), merrymistletoe (05-26-2012), Santa Johnny Boy (06-05-2012), snowflake22 (05-31-2012), Solice (06-13-2012), xmastidings (06-30-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
I wish I had some more profound words of wisdom, but I don't. I do agree that when your mother brings up the topic you should if possible, ignore it and change the topic, if you cannot just state, I would rather not discuss this with a non-believer, I respect your decision not to embrace Christmas, I ask you extend the same respect to me and keep your negitive comments to yourself, be clam, and respectful, although I do not think your Mother will stop it may become less. This might be very important to establish ground rule around your you g children too, they may get confused by comments said by your mother. Sometime the ones we love do not realize that they hurt us, they may think they are doing it for your own good or out of love for you, not even knowing they are hurting the ones they love. Good luck with everything.
merrymistletoe (06-22-2012), snowflake22 (06-12-2012), Solice (06-13-2012), xmastidings (06-30-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 12,459 Times in 1,595 Posts
merrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemen
Lacim84,

thank you so much for sharing this w/ us all here. this young lady's emotions were so genuine & innocent. just a reminder of how blessed we really are. thanks again Santa Johnny Boy!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Christmas Decoration Expert
Last Achievements

JeanetteDi has shown a merry disposition
Lacim84,

This is such a great story!! I Love it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeanetteDi For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-06-2014), xmastidings (06-30-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 12,730 Times in 2,167 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
This is a very delicate matter because I feel that you want to be close to your family but yet, live, breath, enjoy and believe in the things that make you, truely happy deep inside.

Well, the truth is, that we simply (in this life) cannot please everyone (especially family), no matter how much we try to, someone will always be un-happy. So, I say live life for yourself and for your immediate family, be happy with your everyday life with no regrets, believe in what you want to believe in and if your family cannot respect that, then so be it. You cannot change the way other people think unless they themselves, are open to change and want to change themselves.

I myself, believe in Christmas, the spirt of Santa Clause and everthing that associates itself to it Christmas, and because so, I have had family members and co-workers make jokes of me for years because I listen to Christmas music all year long, my house looks like Clark Griswolds at Christmas time, I am a part of MMC family (at least I think so) and watch Christmas movies all thru the year.
I just look at it this way, they can just go-ahead and continue to live their life the way they choose and be miserable and I will live life by the way I choose and be happy; happy because I believe, happy to be here and happy to have friends that believe in Christmas as much as I do.....

If you are happy, that's what counts the most; (This may sound a little cold, but it is not intended to be so), but, if your family cannot respect that, well, just tell them that, you love them, your door is always open, but that you, have to live life to make you happy, not them and that they need to respect the way you feel, for you, respect the way they feel.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
Lacim84 (06-30-2012), snowflake22 (03-06-2014)
Old 06-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

Lacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elf
Thanks everyone for the advice and kind words.

My parents came to visit a few weeks ago. My Mom saw a picture of my son on Christmas morning hanging on the wall, she didn't say anything but went to the guest bathroom and stayed for a while. When she finally emerged I noticed she had been crying.

I don't like hurting her but I will stand my ground on this. I finally had to give her an ultimatum.

I gave her the choice to come and visit and keep her opinions to herself or do not come at all. I had to tell my parents if the subject is brought up again, that they would not be welcome in my home anymore. I respect them and their beliefs and show them respect when I'm at their house, I expect the same.

I'm washing my hands of the constant debate with my family. I told my own mother to tread lightly because she is pushing me to a breaking point. And I would hate to have to keep my children away from her and my dad.

My heart is heavy.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
It's a difficult position but I think you've handled it appropriately. You understand that she has a different belief system and you respect that but you also have every right to expect that she will respect YOUR belief system as well. Especially in your home.

I'm sorry things have been made so stressful.
Holiday (08-30-2012), Lacim84 (07-12-2012), Mumof2 (07-12-2012), snowflake22 (03-06-2014)
Old 07-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,459 Times in 328 Posts
MerryNoel is a gift to othersMerryNoel is a gift to othersMerryNoel is a gift to othersMerryNoel is a gift to othersMerryNoel is a gift to othersMerryNoel is a gift to othersMerryNoel is a gift to othersMerryNoel is a gift to othersMerryNoel is a gift to othersMerryNoel is a gift to othersMerryNoel is a gift to others
Just wanted to offer a big old Christmas filled HUG!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryNoel For This Useful Post:
Holiday (08-30-2012), Lacim84 (07-12-2012), snowflake22 (03-06-2014)