Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » So is this the low point for "Christmas spirit"?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,081
Threads: 53,857
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,291)
Welcome to our newest member, Blitz

Old 05-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

KWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elf
So is this the low point for "Christmas spirit"?

Around this time of year, I think this is the low point in "Christmas spirit". Winter is over now, so no more cold weather to generate feelings of Christmas (whenever a cold snap in the weather comes through in March, I crank out the Christmas music all over again!). And it's not Summer time yet, with the excessive heat generating a desire for cooler weather (remember Mel Torme's "The Christmas Song" was written in a hot summer!). And I usually enjoy 4th of July celebrations as that signals the start of the 2nd half of the year (with Fall and then Christmas coming quickly after the 4th of July, or at least that's how it feels to me)...And Easter's over now...

And I went to Hobby Lobby today and there wasn't nearly enough seasonal items out. I usually enjoy going to Hobby Lobby for their seasonal items (mostly for Christmas, but I like their Easter displays as well, and their Fall decorations, etc).

But today they only had 1 and a half aisle's devoted to 4th of July seasonal items, and then 1 aisle devoted to summer decorations (which usually means tropical island decorations for your backyard). And that was it. The rest of the store that was usually set aside for holiday items was just devoted to generic furniture and paintings (the usual Hobby Lobby stuff).

So that kind of summed it up for me: There's not nearly enough "Christmas spirit" in the air around this time of year. At least for me. Anyone else feel this way around this time of year?!?

Just more incentive to throw on Christmas music, I suppose...
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to KWasser For This Useful Post:
Adam (05-14-2012), ballcoach (05-03-2012), Bradmac (05-04-2012), Caroline79 (05-23-2012), Christmasstar (05-04-2012), gabulldawg (05-12-2012), kgstyles (05-04-2012), merrymistletoe (05-07-2012), snowflake22 (03-30-2014), xmastidings (05-07-2012)

Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,366 Times in 5,936 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Hm---maybe this isn't the low point. Maybe it is in the world at large, but not here on MMC. According to the Countdown thread, we're more than 1/3 of the way to next Christmas. And if you accept November 13 as the beginning of the Christmas season (held by many MMC members as the traditional start of the season), there are fewer than 200 days to the start of the season, and as of May 15th, we'll be halfway there. This year's first Merry Podcast was released this week---that helps with the holidays spirit! And I'm seeing enthusiasm and anticipation for Christmas in July starting to grow---after all, it's only weeks away! So in a way, like so many blossoms this time of year, the Christmas spirit is coming out of its dormancy and gathering strength to bloom all over again!

When it seems like the Christmas spirit is at a low ebb, that's a good time to visit MMC and explore all its corners. This is where the Christmas spirit lives until the rest of the world is ready for it again! (And yes, keeping Christmas music in your personal soundtrack does help!)

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (05-04-2012), Caroline79 (05-23-2012), Christmasstar (05-04-2012), gabulldawg (05-12-2012), snowflake22 (03-30-2014), xmastidings (05-07-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,932 Times in 2,418 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
I think you're definitely on to something. I can tell you that our website traffic hits bottom in April...just after Easter....then it swings the other way. The overall numbers are different every year but the trend is exactly the same.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Adam (05-14-2012), Christmasstar (05-04-2012), gabulldawg (05-12-2012), snowflake22 (03-30-2014)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 74,768 Times in 14,924 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
To me the low point is after all the decorations come down in January, and it seems so far away. Right now I feel the "turn" towards Christmas coming back around, Hallmark is getting ready to unveil their ornaments at the stores in less than 2 months. Other stores will soon start putting their first Christmas merchandise out, and Christmas in July is close enough to smell the cookies now.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,352 Times in 4,546 Posts
ballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I'm with 365!

Have glove will travel
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ballcoach For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (05-04-2012), gabulldawg (05-12-2012), snowflake22 (03-30-2014), xmas365 (05-04-2012), xmastidings (05-07-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Mayor of The North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 29,174 Times in 4,629 Posts
Bradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by xmas365 View Post
To me the low point is after all the decorations come down in January, and it seems so far away. Right now I feel the "turn" towards Christmas coming back around, Hallmark is getting ready to unveil their ornaments at the stores in less than 2 months. Other stores will soon start putting their first Christmas merchandise out, and Christmas in July is close enough to smell the cookies now.
Christmasstar (05-04-2012), gabulldawg (05-12-2012), snowflake22 (03-30-2014), xmas365 (05-04-2012), xmastidings (05-23-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

KWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elf
Hmm, I don't get excited as much with just anticipating Christmas in July, I just enjoy Christmas in July when it finally arrives. I consider it a teaser for the festivities to come this Fall. Like the 4th of July holiday, I consider "Christmas in July" to be somewhat the start of the holiday season (a welcome to the last half of the year)!

But I don't get pumped up for that until the last week of June. Which is right around the time that Hobby Lobby starts to set up their Christmas decorations (they start slowly, but you can usually see them adding Christmas items from late June onward)!

So yeah, the last half of April, all of May, and maybe the first half of June, is kind of free of the "Christmas Spirit"...not here on this forum though, I know that's what this forum is for: to get Christmas Spirit all year long!!!

Originally Posted by xmas365
Yeah, but for me, the cold weather usually generates Christmas feelings straight up until April (even if it's a warm winter, the trees still haven't quite bloomed until early to mid March, so it still FEELS like winter, even if it's warmer than normal).

Plus, at our house, we didn't fully take down Chrismas stuff until late January. And even then, it was mostly all out in the garage - we didn't put all of it away up in the attic until early March!

And you brought up Hallmark, but as you said, that's still over a month away, from them releasing ornaments...so yeah, it just struck me that this is a peculiar time of year...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KWasser For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (05-04-2012), gabulldawg (05-12-2012), snowflake22 (03-30-2014), xmas365 (05-04-2012), xmastidings (05-23-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,105 Times in 413 Posts
jayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Have to agree with xmas365 the lowpoint is after all the decorations come down in dec/jan,the fact we are in may already suggests time is flying by once again and before we know it october will be here and thats when i normally start my preparations for christmas and the fact im from the uk and our weather is always terrible our christmas spirit is around all year.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:44 AM
Christmas Altair

Last Achievements

Thanked 20,036 Times in 2,880 Posts
shellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
For me i have to agree with a few after the decorations come down rounds jan 6th i always feel a bit low. was not to bad this year think it because i had mmc
But its always in my heart. and you dont feel odd or get looks for saying about christmas in march or april.
For ie yesterday in the shop i had a few limited edition elvis and the beatles record picture with disc,s in them. a lady bought one for her son for christmas and i was saying this to another person. and they said What thinking about christmas in may is she mad !!!!!
Christmasstar (05-05-2012), snowflake22 (03-30-2014)
Old 05-05-2012, 05:58 AM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,854 Times in 1,630 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
When the decorations come down in the stores and I see trees in the trash, THAT is my low point. I keep the spirit alive in my house by keeping my trees/lights/etc up until February! Then I focus on Valentine's, my son's bday, St. Patrick's, Easter, etc... then, it's almost Christmas in July! I get excited about the anticipation... because by that time,fall decor will be in stores AND we get a whole day of Christmas programming at least once a month on the home shopping channels from July onward!

The MErry Podcast really got me excitedthis week!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to judesmama For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (05-05-2012), Christmasstar (05-05-2012), snowflake22 (03-30-2014), xmas365 (05-05-2012), xmastidings (05-23-2012)