Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » I need some suggestions!

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,842
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,850)
Welcome to our newest member, HVEKU

Old 09-26-2012, 06:40 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

jinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry disposition
I need some suggestions!

Hi MMC friends,

This is going to be our First Christmas being married and we're so excited! The problem is, we both had traditions at each of our parents homes that involved parents & brothers & Sisters! We will still be seeing them on Christmas Day of course, but we need some feedback on what married couples without Children do on Christmas morning before heading to all the in-law get togethers. Do you cook breakfast together? We are getting each other one big present and stockings this year, so what are some traditions you guys have (or had) on Christmas morning when it was just two of you??
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jinglebellrock512 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-26-2012), Holiday (09-26-2012), Spyells (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,299 Times in 5,928 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
It's still just the two of us after nearly 18 years ... Mr. and I have a quick and easy breakfast together (often involving Sara Lee butter streusel coffee cake ... a holiday tradition in our home!), put on some Christmas music, sit on the floor under the Christmas tree, and open gifts that we've received from friends. (I keep a list of what we got from whom to update our Christmas binder.) Then we open our gifts to each other. We're very fond of books and movies, so we usually have several small packages for each other, and we take turns opening them. (The giver chooses which gift the recipient will open next.) It's a nice, quiet, festive time together that we enjoy. Then around noontime we head out to Mr.'s parents' home for the family celebration. After we come home in the evening, we usually go to the basement and screen some Christmas films (real 16mm films).

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-26-2012), Holiday (09-26-2012), momnan30 (09-27-2012), Spyells (09-26-2012), xmastidings (09-27-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,637 Times in 1,569 Posts
Festive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the Wisemen
Hey congratulations on your first Christmas as a married couple!
If you have plans for the later part of the day then why not just go with the flow on Christmas morning. It will be just the two of you so you can enjoy an extra special breakfast and enjoy opening your presents under the tree at a leisurely pace. Just enjoy your time as a couple and let the morning unfold.

Have fun and most of all enjoy it!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Festive Spirit For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-26-2012), Holiday (09-26-2012), momnan30 (09-27-2012), xmastidings (09-27-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,509 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Before kids... we would turn on the Chritsmas music, lights. Make breakfest together and enjoy our breakfest in the living room. We would either leave the christmas music on or put on a christmas movie and exchange gifts.

We would go visit my in laws for a while then go pick up my dad and head back to our house where I made dinner for us.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-26-2012), Holiday (09-26-2012), momnan30 (09-27-2012), xmastidings (09-27-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 22,608 Times in 3,644 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by jinglebellrock512 View Post
Hi MMC friends,

This is going to be our First Christmas being married and we're so excited! The problem is, we both had traditions at each of our parents homes that involved parents & brothers & Sisters! We will still be seeing them on Christmas Day of course, but we need some feedback on what married couples without Children do on Christmas morning before heading to all the in-law get togethers. Do you cook breakfast together? We are getting each other one big present and stockings this year, so what are some traditions you guys have (or had) on Christmas morning when it was just two of you??
Well, we have been married for 15 years & we have no children - like you we both have big families (brothers/sisters/parents/nieces, nephews, etc, etc, etc) - my family has traditions, but husbands really doesn't. My hubby is a UPS man, so by Christmas Day he is exhausted. He is not a Christmas lover (like me) at all! BUT I won't let him bring me down! My family is definately more "crazy for Christmas" than my hubby's family. To them it's kind of just another day & another family get together. My family makes it more special than that for sure!

*Usually* on Christmas morning I make "Christmas Morning Rolls" & I will have something else with them. Sometimes it's sausage bread, sometimes it's Omelets for 2. (I will post the recipes incase you are interested) Some Christmas morings he likes to sleep in, so I will bring him breakfast in bed (though he ususally ends up getting up to eat...lol) We exchange our presents to each other & then it's time to get ready for family parties.
2 years ago I had my parents, my 2 brothers & sil who are from out of town, & my hubby's parents over for brunch. That was the best Chrsitmas morning ever!!! My sister usually has them all over (minus my inlaws of course...ha ha ha) for Christmas brunch but it didnt work out for her that year, so I did it. It was great!
Our biggest celebration & my favorite day of the year is Christmas Eve....which means I'm usually a little sleepy myslef on Christmas morning. So our Christmas morning is nothing spectacular, but it's still nice. After all the running in December, it's ok to have the morning at home!
Whatever you decide to do, I hope you totally enjoy it & have a wonderful Christmas morning!!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-26-2012), momnan30 (09-27-2012), xmastidings (09-27-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 22,608 Times in 3,644 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Christmas Morning Rolls

1 (24 count) bag frozen dinner rolls or frozen bread – I usually use about 18
3 ¾ oz. box Butterscotch pudding (not instant)
½ C. butter
¾ c. brown sugar
¾ tsp. cinnamon
½ c. chopped nuts (pecans)-optional

Arrange rolls in greased angel food cake pan. Sprinkle dry pudding mix over rolls. Cook butter & remaining ingredients over low heat until sugar is dissolved & it bubbles. Pour over rolls (hot). Cover tightly with foil. Let it stand on counter overnight. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes & invert onto serving dish.

Hearty Ham Omelet
3 T. butter, or marg. Divided
1 C. diced fully cooked ham (I used a couple slices of bacon & skipped the ham)
1 C. diced, cooked potato
¼ C. shredded cheddar
1 T. milk
½ tsp. prepared horseradish (opt.)
1 bacon strip, cooked & crumbled
4 eggs
2 T. water
¼ tsp. salt
dash of pepper

In 10” nonstick skillet, melt 2 T. butter over medium heat. Add ham & potato; cook & stir until potato is lightly browned. Stir in the cheese, milk, horseradish & bacon; cook until cheese is melted. Remove & keep warm.
In same skillet melt remaining butter. In a bowl, beat eggs, water, salt & pepper. Pour into skillet; cook over medium heat. As eggs set, lift the edges, letting the uncooked portion flow underneath. When eggs are nearly set, spoon the potato mixture over half of the omelet. Fold omelet over filling. Cover & cook for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.

Sausage Bread
1 loaf frozen bread dough. Thaw & let rise on floured surface
1 roll Hot & Spicy sausage fried & drained
1 ½ c. shredded hot pepper cheese
½ c. shredded mozzarella cheese
½ c. shredded cheddar cheese

Spread mixture onto bread evenly & drizzle w/ 1 beaten egg. Roll into log & bake at 350º 35-45 minutes until brown.

Creamy Chicken – Cherie Williams
1 can crm. Chicken soup
1 can crm. Celery soup
boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Combine soups & pour a small amount on bottom of crock pot. Put in chicken breasts. Pour rest of soup over chicken. Cook on low several hours (6-8 hrs). Shread chicken with a fork & mix together. Eat as a sandwich, or it’s good on top of mashed potatoes. Will need to add salt, or seasoning or it will be very bland.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-26-2012), Gingerbread Latte (09-27-2012), momnan30 (09-27-2012), Spyells (09-26-2012), xmastidings (09-27-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
As somebody who was married with child, I may not be the best person to answer this question, but I'll gladly offer my opinion. On Christmas morning, if you're like me and grew up on the big Christmas breakfast, I recommend preparing breakfast together. I like to do homemade cinnamon rolls. If I use a recipe that calls for a long rise, I make them before going to bed and bake them first thing in the morning. If I were kidless, breakfast and a cup of coffee by the tree with my wife would be ideal. Maybe watch a romantic Christmas movie or listen to your favorite Christmas CD. The best advice I can give is to RELAX! Once kids come, Christmas will be more exciting, more rewarding, and much more exhausting.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-26-2012), Festive Spirit (09-26-2012), Holiday (09-26-2012), momnan30 (09-27-2012), Spyells (09-26-2012), xmastidings (09-27-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

jinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry disposition
Thank you everyone! Maybe I'm just over planning for Christmas when it should be just going with the flow! Thanks for those recipes! I will try all of them because they all sound so yummy!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jinglebellrock512 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-26-2012), Holiday (09-26-2012), xmastidings (09-27-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,299 Times in 5,928 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I re-posted these separately in the Recipes forum for your future searching convenience and for folks who don't visit this thread. Thanks for sharing these, Holiday!

Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Christmas Morning Rolls

1 (24 count) bag frozen dinner rolls or frozen bread – I usually use about 18
3 ¾ oz. box Butterscotch pudding (not instant)
½ C. butter
¾ c. brown sugar
¾ tsp. cinnamon
½ c. chopped nuts (pecans)-optional

Arrange rolls in greased angel food cake pan. Sprinkle dry pudding mix over rolls. Cook butter & remaining ingredients over low heat until sugar is dissolved & it bubbles. Pour over rolls (hot). Cover tightly with foil. Let it stand on counter overnight. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes & invert onto serving dish.

Hearty Ham Omelet
3 T. butter, or marg. Divided
1 C. diced fully cooked ham (I used a couple slices of bacon & skipped the ham)
1 C. diced, cooked potato
¼ C. shredded cheddar
1 T. milk
½ tsp. prepared horseradish (opt.)
1 bacon strip, cooked & crumbled
4 eggs
2 T. water
¼ tsp. salt
dash of pepper

In 10” nonstick skillet, melt 2 T. butter over medium heat. Add ham & potato; cook & stir until potato is lightly browned. Stir in the cheese, milk, horseradish & bacon; cook until cheese is melted. Remove & keep warm.
In same skillet melt remaining butter. In a bowl, beat eggs, water, salt & pepper. Pour into skillet; cook over medium heat. As eggs set, lift the edges, letting the uncooked portion flow underneath. When eggs are nearly set, spoon the potato mixture over half of the omelet. Fold omelet over filling. Cover & cook for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.

Sausage Bread
1 loaf frozen bread dough. Thaw & let rise on floured surface
1 roll Hot & Spicy sausage fried & drained
1 ½ c. shredded hot pepper cheese
½ c. shredded mozzarella cheese
½ c. shredded cheddar cheese

Spread mixture onto bread evenly & drizzle w/ 1 beaten egg. Roll into log & bake at 350º 35-45 minutes until brown.

Creamy Chicken – Cherie Williams
1 can crm. Chicken soup
1 can crm. Celery soup
boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Combine soups & pour a small amount on bottom of crock pot. Put in chicken breasts. Pour rest of soup over chicken. Cook on low several hours (6-8 hrs). Shread chicken with a fork & mix together. Eat as a sandwich, or it’s good on top of mashed potatoes. Will need to add salt, or seasoning or it will be very bland.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
momnan30 (09-27-2012), xmastidings (09-27-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,276 Times in 13,281 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by jinglebellrock512 View Post
Hi MMC friends,

congratulations!

make sure to find a very special decoration to remember it by!

You can do what ever you want on this your first Christmas together, but make sure to document and take pictures for the memories so they will be there for a life time and for your future dozen kids and four dozen grandkids too.