Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » Weird Christmas Traditions

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,127
Threads: 54,231
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,429)
Welcome to our newest member, cmas333

Old 10-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 53,987 Times in 9,777 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
(I'll preface this by saying that these 16mm prints are legally struck prints (not bootlegs) that have been legally acquired from decommissioned film libraries and private collectors, and we don't screen them publicly, which could violate copyright. Having said that ...)

The collection includes the 1951 Alastair Sim version of "Scrooge," the 1935 Sir Seymour Hicks version of "Scrooge," "We're No Angels," "Pocketful of Miracles," "It Came Upon the Midnight Clear" (a TV movie), "It's a Wonderful Life," "Babes in Toyland" (Laurel & Hardy, a.k.a. "March of the Wooden Soldiers") ... plus some lesser-known reels, such as Castle Films and Official Films Christmas reels made for the home market, a few kinescopes of Christmas shows, and the Oscar Award-winning short "Star in the Night."

We also have a video projector so we can watch DVDs on the movie screen.
THANK YOU!!! I should have known to ask you sooner but Wayne and I saw this on TCM last December. I never heard of it and thought it was very good. After watching it I forgot to take note of the title of the film and had no idea how to look it up. I just did a search on IMDB and yes, that is the film I was looking for!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (10-03-2012), Solice (10-07-2012)

Old 10-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 53,987 Times in 9,777 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Festive Spirit View Post
On the night of Christmas Eve , I always look out the window at the sky just before I go to bed. I always did this when I was little and I guess I was hoping to catch a glimpse of Santa Claus.

I still do it now without even thinking about what I'm doing It's become almost a reflex action yet only on this particuliar night. The first time my husband noticed me he asked me what I was looking for.....I couldn't really give him an anwser.

Am I still hoping to see that magical man in the red suit..........?

......shhhhh don't tell anyone
That is so cute!!! I am so glad you shared that!

I am a grandmother and I still scream and get giddy when Santa comes through on his sleigh at the end of the Macy's Parade.

It's also a tradition since I was a child to watch the weather on the news so I can see Santa come across the radar. It's very important to me and I really do get excited! He's on his way!!!

Originally Posted by lauriebear View Post
I don't do that for I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my tree and I put it up on Black Friday when everyone is shopping (I worked retail in high school & college and I WILL NEVER SHOP ON THAT DAY - sorry not meant to hurt anyone who does). Another one I still do that she did (and mind you my Nana wasn't all "into" Christmas, she thought I was a little nuts LOL) we have a Birthday Cake for Baby Jesus, most of my girlfriends before they had kids thought this was silly, now so of them have picked this little tradition up, that makes me smile and I know it makes Nana smile too. One other thing that some of my friends have comments on is that I do not put the Baby Jesus out until after mid-night on Christmas Eve, the church I go to (I am a Methodist) doesn't do this so Nana & I didn't and now I still don't, my Mother - In - Law and my Husband tease me a little but good teasing. Now some may think this is odd, but we hang a spider from out tree for the story of the Christmas Spider, my husband bought me a new one a few years ago and that was very touching he said he had some time trying to get one.
That hurt my feelings. JUST KIDDING!!! Of course Black Friday is not for everyone, very hectic! We go out but rarely buy anything, just take in the free entertainment at the mall. It's a blast!

I love your tradition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
ballcoach (10-07-2012), Festive Spirit (10-24-2012), lauriebear (10-03-2012), Solice (10-07-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 39,192 Times in 6,088 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
THANK YOU!!! I should have known to ask you sooner but Wayne and I saw this on TCM last December. I never heard of it and thought it was very good. After watching it I forgot to take note of the title of the film and had no idea how to look it up. I just did a search on IMDB and yes, that is the film I was looking for!
If you buy the DVD of "Christmas in Connecticut," "Star in the Night" is an extra on the DVD. (P.S.--Our print looks better than the one in the DVD!)

"Star in the Night" is almost always the last thing we watch before we go to bed on Christmas Eve. It's our all-time favorite Christmas movie. One year an old film library went out of business and was selling their stock, and Mr. called them because they had that title on their list. Turns out they had six prints of it---so we bought them all, kept one, and gave the rest to film-collector friends for Christmas!

If anyone is unfamiliar with this little gem, I talk about it in Merry Podcast #10.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (10-03-2012), lauriebear (10-03-2012), merrymistletoe (10-24-2012), Solice (10-07-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
That is so cute!!! I am so glad you shared that!

I am a grandmother and I still scream and get giddy when Santa comes through on his sleigh at the end of the Macy's Parade.

It's also a tradition since I was a child to watch the weather on the news so I can see Santa come across the radar. It's very important to me and I really do get excited! He's on his way!!!

That hurt my feelings. JUST KIDDING!!! Of course Black Friday is not for everyone, very hectic! We go out but rarely buy anything, just take in the free entertainment at the mall. It's a blast!

I love your tradition!
LOL!!! You are too much, hmmm I might have to rethink this whole thing, I might like the free entertainment!!!
Christmas-A-Holic (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 39,192 Times in 6,088 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I just remembered another movie-related personal tradition. In our house, we're very fond of a Christmas movie called "We're No Angels" (1955), the plot of which includes a pet poisonous snake named Adolph "that looks like a little bracelet, all different colors." I crocheted a little snake out of multicolor yarn around a pipecleaner, and I always put him among the branches of our Christmas tree. I'm willing to bet there's no one else out there with a little Adolph on their tree!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (10-03-2012), merrymistletoe (10-24-2012), Neotericisis (10-25-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,244 Times in 496 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
My Christmas tradition isn't exactly ON Christmas BUT...
I usually leave the Christmas cards that people send me taped to the basement door all year long. It's in my kitchen and I can see the cards all year long. I usually only get enough to cover 3/4 of the door so they all stay up all year.

I don't leave much of the Christmas decorations out during the year but the cards stay up. They brighten my day more often than not.
ballcoach (10-07-2012), lauriebear (10-04-2012), merrymistletoe (10-24-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Christmas Deity

lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
I just remembered another movie-related personal tradition. In our house, we're very fond of a Christmas movie called "We're No Angels" (1955), the plot of which includes a pet poisonous snake named Adolph "that looks like a little bracelet, all different colors." I crocheted a little snake out of multicolor yarn around a pipecleaner, and I always put him among the branches of our Christmas tree. I'm willing to bet there's no one else out there with a little Adolph on their tree!
How adorable!!! I love this
MerryCarey (10-03-2012), merrymistletoe (10-24-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
Another tradition we've carried on is the placement of luminarias on Christmas Eve. When me moved into our old neighborhood I was 4 or 5 and there was an old man who would get residents to set out luminarias (is that the plural?) on Christmas Eve at dusk. For those who wouldn't participate or were out of town, he got their permission to do it himself and would light up every street in our housing development. We participated in the tradition, buying the supplies from a local Boy/Cub Scout troop that used it as a fundraiser. We had a big lot, but we laid out the white plastic buckets with sand in the bottom and inserted a utility candle all along the curb. By the time I was 10 or so I got to light them using a propane torch. If it was a calm night, the candles would stay lit until dawn. Over the years the old man died, new neighbors quit the tradition, the boy scout troop leader died and the troop merged with another, and today only a few houses in that neighborhood put out the luminarias. When my parents moved, they carried the tradition with them, and every Christmas Eve (unless it's windy or rainy) the white plastic buckets get a new candle and the driveway lights up for another Christmas Eve night. It's an unusual tradition in the almost no one does it anymore, but nothing was better than those years when our entire neighborhood was lit up on Christmas Eve.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (10-04-2012), merrymistletoe (10-24-2012), Neotericisis (10-25-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,904 Times in 3,908 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
Not necessarily "weird", per se (you be the judge), but every Christmas Eve, my daughter and I come home from Christmas Eve candlelight service and watch Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol together... I hope this continues even thought she's in her own apartment now...

If I have to watch it alone (my wife doesn't care for it), I'll just have to sing extra loud during the "All Alone In The World" segment... HEY! A new tradition!
lauriebear (10-04-2012), merrymistletoe (10-24-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Christmas Deity

Originally Posted by redkaga View Post
Another tradition we've carried on is the placement of luminarias on Christmas Eve. When me moved into our old neighborhood I was 4 or 5 and there was an old man who would get residents to set out luminarias (is that the plural?) on Christmas Eve at dusk. For those who wouldn't participate or were out of town, he got their permission to do it himself and would light up every street in our housing development. We participated in the tradition, buying the supplies from a local Boy/Cub Scout troop that used it as a fundraiser. We had a big lot, but we laid out the white plastic buckets with sand in the bottom and inserted a utility candle all along the curb. By the time I was 10 or so I got to light them using a propane torch. If it was a calm night, the candles would stay lit until dawn. Over the years the old man died, new neighbors quit the tradition, the boy scout troop leader died and the troop merged with another, and today only a few houses in that neighborhood put out the luminarias. When my parents moved, they carried the tradition with them, and every Christmas Eve (unless it's windy or rainy) the white plastic buckets get a new candle and the driveway lights up for another Christmas Eve night. It's an unusual tradition in the almost no one does it anymore, but nothing was better than those years when our entire neighborhood was lit up on Christmas Eve.
Oh my this really touched me - my eyes got a little misty just picturing a whole neighborhood aglow.
ballcoach (10-07-2012), merrymistletoe (10-24-2012), redkaga (10-23-2012)