Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Home & Family » Hosting Christmas for the first time this year, how do I fit everyone in?

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,437
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Nobody Believes Me
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:30 PM
Last post by Joyfully yours
08-30-2013 05:10 AM
55,820 Views  4 Posts
Bells Christmas Before Christ
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:38 PM
59,824 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree Using Outdoor...
By JeanetteDi
09-18-2011 03:26 PM
Last post by Christmas-man
11-23-2011 07:45 AM
92,365 Views  1 Posts
How does Santa get...
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:49 PM
51,709 Views  0 Posts
Christmas with the...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:57 PM
55,749 Views  0 Posts

Old 08-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,085 Times in 711 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
Hosting Christmas for the first time this year, how do I fit everyone in?

hi guys,

title says it all really, how do i do it? got inlaws, divorced parents, large extended family etc... every year since our daughter was born we rush around on christmas day trying to fit everyone in, up and out by 9am and don't get home until 8pm, it's stressful and it isn't fair to our daughter, who is at a wondeful age for christmas this year and will want to be at home with her toys.

we just got a house (in an apartment at the minute) and we move in, in september. it's a nice size, but not big enough to invite everybody at once.

my mum & dad are divorced, my mum would rather jump off a cliff than spend christmas day with my dad! since mum and dad split, my sister and i would spend christmas day with him and his family, and now i think it's time my mum got to have a christmas day with her kids, so mum will definitely be coming to me this year for christmas lunch, as will my sister, aunt, my cousin and her 2 kids.

inlaws are lovely people, but very different to my side of the family, plus brother in law is extremely anti social and also wouldn't want to eat dinner at our house, he is very fussy and always cooks christmas dinner at his parent's house so it wouldn't work inviting my side of the family and my fiance's side of the family at the same time.

my dad may very possibly be going abroad this year for christmas, if he doesn't i will have to see him at some point on christmas day as he'll really want to see my daughter.

i was thinking of inviting inlaws for a special champagne christmas breakfast around 10am on christmas morning, so they get a couple of hours with us and DD, then visiting my dad and exchanging gifts from about 12.30pm until 2pm, then going back home for dinner with my mum and my side of the family. boxing day (26th dec) is a big deal in the U.K so was thinking we could visit DH's extended family on boxing day, or do a gathering for them at our house?

i just know someone on either side of our families won't be too happy about the arrangements somewhere along the line, but i feel it's important to start creating our own traditions and spend christmas in our own home.

i know it's only august, but december will be here before we know it. do you think what i'm proposing is fair? how do you work it so everyone gets to see eachother?

Despite my username, I am female!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JOHNOR For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (08-22-2012), Holiday (08-06-2012), Meceka (08-06-2012), snowflake22 (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 01:49 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,049 Times in 3,684 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
so far what You wrote there sounds good....and You are right....December will be here in no time....so better plan now than later on.

champagne breakfast, visit the dad, home for the traditional dinner....sounds very good and even tho You guys will leave the house once to visit Your father, it wonīt be too stressfull and You can see it like going for a longer walk....and then the dinner with mama....as I wrote above....sounds perfect......all You need to do is....prepare stuff for the dinner before, so not everything has to be peeled and chopped and on and on....ya know what Im saying

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (08-22-2012), Meceka (08-06-2012), snowflake22 (02-01-2014)
Old 08-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
thanks tanja, you are right about preparing the food in advance, i will have to start doing my research.... i'm not known for my cooking skills!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JOHNOR For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (08-22-2012), snowflake22 (02-01-2014)
Old 08-05-2012, 03:47 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,049 Times in 3,684 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
lol....just some burgers and fries .....just kidding tho.....but chicken is easy to make...a turkey is just a tad bigger

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2012, 05:03 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 144,200 Times in 26,527 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Your plan sounds good. My sister kinda of does it the same way. My brother in law's family like to sleep in even on christmas, so we go over to their house in the morning and have our christmas with them. Then after lunch his family comes over. We usually stick around and exchange with them too because we all get along. It makes it nice because your not rushing to get through with everyone before you have to cook and you have time to clean up in between. In your case you could rotate who comes over when so it doesn't look like your playing favorite's with someone.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (08-22-2012), JOHNOR (08-06-2012), snowflake22 (02-01-2014)
Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,558 Times in 3,709 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
Some festive bunting and a few card tables will turn any garage or car port into a Christmas Wonderland for the "relatives overflow"...
Christmasstar (08-22-2012), Holiday (08-06-2012), JOHNOR (08-06-2012), snowflake22 (02-01-2014), whitney37354 (08-06-2012), xmastidings (08-14-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,316 Times in 3,114 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
It sounds like you have a pretty good plan going! I agree with having food made in advance - it sounds like you will be hopping that day!! Last year I hosted my families Thanksgiving, which was around 45 people. I borrowed a carpet remnant from our neighbors & put it in the garage. We set up 2 long tables/chairs & I put some fall decorations out there. (Our garage can be heated) - It worked out really well!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,469 Times in 910 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Sounds like you are working on some great ideas. My parents are divorced and my mom wants nothing to do with my dad and his wife. We host Christmas Eve, Christmas Breakfest and Christmas Dinner beacuse we refuse to take our kids away from their home at Christmas.

My mom is there for the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner while my dad and his wife come over for Christmas breakfest. I make breakfest casseroles ahead of time and just pop them into the oven Christmas Morning.

My mother in law lives out of state so we cant celebrate in person with her.

The day after Christmas we ceberate with Hubbys siblings and their families and with my father in law, his wife and her kids. We rotate houses each year.

You may not be able to please everyone but the only people who really count here is you, your hubby and daughter.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

thanks so much guys! minta, you are right, it's about our daughter and ensuring she has a lovely family christmas full of memories.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JOHNOR For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

sgrover has disabled reputation
First, your plan does sound good. When we have my family and in-laws over, we sit at kitchen table, card tables in living room, a couple on the sofa eating at the coffee table, we manage! What my family usually does though, is the Hostess makes the main meat, buns, whatever, and everyone else brings a dish or two to pass. Salads, potatoes, stuffing, casserole/veggie dishes, desserts. Could you bring that up? Works out great, everyone feels included and it's not all the stress on you. I'd also mention it soon, if this is different than what you've done in the past, give people time to think about it, and plan around it. Good luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgrover For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (08-22-2012), JOHNOR (09-02-2012), snowflake22 (02-01-2014)