Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Decorations » Traditional or Trendy Tree?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Decorations Christmas is a hands-on art. From the lights we put on the house to the decorations we put on the tree to the great foods we eat in the process, Christmas is a time of doing -- and this is the place we gather to talk, plan and share.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,094
Threads: 53,938
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,013)
Welcome to our newest member, RMcGuigan

Old 06-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

Lacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elf
Traditional or Trendy Tree?

For the past couple of years I've decorated our tree with multi colored lights and colorful ornaments because it's what my little boy liked. This year, since he's a bit older and doesn't mind a change, I'm going with white lights and more traditional colors and ornaments and with a hint of a snowflake theme. I've always been more drawn to that anyway. But I've noticed more and more people are going for more trendy or themed trees.
One friend of mine had a peacock & bufferfly themed tree! It was beautiful and very different. Another friend had a blue hot pink tree with pink & purple decor. Very interesting and surprisingly pretty! What do you like?

What is your Christmas tree style?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 12,844 Times in 2,188 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
We have a 6.5 foot Christmas tree and we like going with the multi-colored lights (about 700-800 of them) and that's my job. After the lights are on, the favorite ladies in my life (my wife and daughter), decorate it. We have a mixture of decorations from the traditional balls, candy string garland, crystal icicles, babies first christmas, our first decoration we bought has husband and wife, a decoration or two from our both of our grandparents christmas decorations (one of our ways to show our love and respect for them) and a mixture of Disney christmas ornaments. We top the tree with an lighted Angel. We have nicknamed our Christmas tree, our little memory tree.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (07-14-2012), Christmas-A-Holic (06-13-2012), GingerMel (09-17-2012), Lacim84 (06-11-2012), snowflake22 (06-11-2012), Spyells (09-29-2012), yolie8174 (07-17-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,598 Times in 5,981 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Our tree is all about tradition and memories---it's difficult to decorate it or un-decorate it without tearing up a little, but in a nice way. It's a small tree, and nearly every ornament that goes on it has a memory or a story attached to it.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (06-11-2012), GingerMel (09-17-2012), Lacim84 (06-11-2012), snowflake22 (06-11-2012), Spyells (09-29-2012), xmastidings (06-11-2012), yolie8174 (07-17-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,824 Times in 9,580 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Same here, MerryCarey!

It is all about memories and tradition for me. We have ornaments dating back when my husband and I were both kids and we continued to add ornaments the whole time our children were growing up and adding more each year as our grandchildren grow up. With each and every ornament I be sure to write the year it was purchased (if it's not already on there). It is amazing how the memories flood back with each ornament we place on the tree each year. I have always decorated with colored lights, even when I was a child. As MerryCarey mentioned, it is emotional taking it down each year.

Being trendy and/or changing out the decor each year is not an option for me. It works for some people, just not me. I actually tried it one year and did not get out the old ornaments. I really missed not having them on my tree.

If I ever decide to do a themed tree I will purchase another to decorate and place in one room. I will also put my tree full of memories up as well in another room.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Lacim84 (06-11-2012), MerryCarey (06-11-2012), snowflake22 (06-11-2012), Spyells (09-29-2012), xmastidings (06-11-2012), yolie8174 (07-17-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

Lacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elf
Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
If I ever decide to do a themed tree I will purchase another to decorate and place in one room. I will also put my tree full of memories up as well in another room.

That's a good idea, that way you get the best of both!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:48 PM
*Harlowe's Mom*

Last Achievements

Thanked 103,436 Times in 18,523 Posts
snowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
stocking

Our big tree is more of a traditional tree, in a rustic kind of way. We do white lights, pinecones, have a wooden star w/ cranberries on it for the tree topper, and a country -primitive hand stitched tree skirt. It has some ornaments from our childhood, some woodsy ones we've bought on vacations to our favorite place up north, and ones we've collected throughout our relationship. Every year we pick out one new & special ornament for each other. This is also the tree where we put my Hallmark Keepsake ornaments. To finish it off, we toss some white, glittery snow on it.

We also have a smaller tree, which is a 4 ft. tree we decorate w/ multi-colored lights. We put my husband's comic book/superhero ornaments on this one, as well as some of my favorite cartoon ornaments, and tinsel. It's so fun! This one stays upstairs in our bedroom near a sitting area, so we can see it from where we sleep.

And we have a few miniature trees that we scatter about the house in various vignettes. One was one made by a friend of mine that has since passed away (she was a beautiful floral designer)- it has little burgundy bows on each branch, vintage gold balls, and a glittery/gold spray to highlight the branches- that one really means a lot to me. And another is a ceramic one just like My Grandma used to have, with multi-colored lights & all kinds of cute, painted on ornaments.

I believe you can never have enough Christmas trees!!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,510 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
We have multiple trees and each one is decorated differently.

The tree (3 ft pencil tree) in the kids bedroom is filled with disney, looney tunes, various cartoon character ornaments and has white lights.

The tree (4ft) in the family room is the hubbys sports themed tee, this has multi colored lights .

Dinning room tree (4 feet pencil tee) is rustic with wooden hearts and stars, little metal bells and cranberry beaded garland.

The main tree in the living whichis 7 ft tall has over 700 mutli colored lights and is decorated with a an assortments of decorations from mine and DH's child hood, ornaments the kids have gotten over the year and ones the kids have made.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (06-13-2012), snowflake22 (06-12-2012), Spyells (09-29-2012), xmastidings (06-13-2012), yolie8174 (07-17-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 06:16 AM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,926 Times in 1,651 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
Traditional! We buy special ornaments every year that remind us of something we did or something the kids liked... I have all of my ornaments from childhood, too! (For our real tree) I put a funky little blue tinsel tree with blue lights in the kids' room because they love it! And we have a big fake tree in our room with some lights on it. I think I'll do pinecones this year, too. Oh and my tiny tree! I have a 4ish foot tree in my living room year-round. I got it right before Christmas last year. Not sure how I'll decorate it but more on the "rustic" side.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to judesmama For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (06-13-2012), Spyells (09-29-2012), xmastidings (06-13-2012), yolie8174 (07-17-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,824 Times in 9,580 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Clarification, I actually do have quite a few Christmas trees just one main tree that is 7 ft. tall, the rest are under 2 ft. tall with no particular theme. If I plan to do a themed tree I will purchase another tall tree.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
xmastidings (06-13-2012), yolie8174 (07-17-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 75,237 Times in 15,029 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
We have three trees also a 7 foot tree that is traditional it has white and red lights on it with gold bead garland and simple ornaments and bows.

Our 6 foot tree is more of an "our tradition" tree it has C7 lights, bubble lights, white and colorful chaser lights on it, it has gold tinsel garland on it. Those are all things that were on my trees when I was very young, so I have kept those traditions going, it also is the tree we put our "fun" ornaments on like our Hallmark ornaments, also our favorite things from pop culture go on that tree like Herbie the Love Bug, Disney Characters, Harry Potter, and lots of Santas mixed with traditional ornaments.

The third tree is a little 3 footer that goes in the window, it has mini lights and bubble lights, with some small wooden ornaments.