Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Music » 1920s Christmas Music?

Music Scripture doesn't say it be we know those angels were singing at the manger. And music has been the heart of Christmas ever since.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,431
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,408)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Dear Santa: Getting...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:36 PM
43,543 Views  0 Posts
The True Story of Silent...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:58 PM
54,878 Views  0 Posts
Bells The Nativity Part II:...
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:43 PM
58,627 Views  0 Posts
santahat The Legendary Christmas...
By Jeff Westover
09-26-2012 12:27 PM
62,914 Views  0 Posts
"Lill's Travels in Santa...
By MerryCarey
10-26-2011 08:48 AM
59,472 Views  0 Posts

Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Webmaster Partner, Why Christmas?

Last Achievements

whychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
13 16x16 1920s Christmas Music?

For our Christmas party this year, my church house group is doing a 'murder mystery' (where you have a meal and there's a 'whodunit').

It's got a 1920s theme and I've been tasked with getting the music!

I wondered if anyone (especially the master of music Mr RJD) knows if there's any good stuff out there?

So far I've found: http://www.amazon.co.uk/1920s-Christ...dp/B006HMLSHO/ which sounds pretty cool!
Old 11-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,239 Times in 5,586 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Looks like some of those songs go into the 1930s and '40s, if you're not too particular about sticking to the 1920s exclusively.

We have a CD album that was originally released on cassette as "The Legends of Christmas." VAI Audio now sells it on CD as "The Greatest Hits of Christmas Past." It has a few from the 1920s, most from the 1930s, some from the 1940s, but it's a wonderful album. We've bought multiple copies of it. Here's a link: http://www.vaimusic.com/holiday-titles/1225.html

When RJD comes along, he'll get you fixed up right!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
RadioJonD (11-22-2012), whychristmas (11-22-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
What a great question, and I know I RJD will be the best to answer it. But it got me thinking that what we consider the golden age of Christmas music started around the mid-1930's with the surge in radio ownership. Until that time music would have been heard live or played in the home via sheet music, music box, or record or cylinder player. Due in large part to the interest in seasonal offerings, early Christmas recordings are among the most desirable of the early recording formats. I do find it interesting to think that even today we can turn on a station playing Christmas music and we're hearing tunes that go back over 70 years. Everyone knows White Christmas, but I'd wear out a set of tires trying to find someone who can sing a verse of Vernon Dalhart's "Santa Claus, That's Me!"
Here's a link I found: http://www.vintagemusicroom.com/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
christmasjingles (11-22-2012), MerryCarey (11-21-2012), RadioJonD (11-21-2012), whychristmas (11-22-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:18 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,206 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
"Where Will You Be Christmas Day" on the Dust to Digital Label

"Voices of Christmas Past" on the Dawn of Sound Label (and on Archive.com!)

Last edited by RadioJonD; 11-21-2012 at 10:26 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
christmasjingles (11-22-2012), whychristmas (11-22-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:34 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

...In fact, I had forgotten just how useful Archive.com can be! Use various searches to find more 1920s Christmas!

Three by the Westbrook Conservatory Entertainers.

1920s-Holiday CD
christmasjingles (11-22-2012), whychristmas (11-22-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 03:39 AM

Last Achievements

whychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I knew you guys would come up with some good stuff! Thanks for the points to archive.com RJD, love the 1920s Holiday CD!

That reminded me that I got some old cylinder records a few years ago. I got them from a post that's no longer up, but I found a comment with many of links in: http://worcesterite.com/forums/music...as-mp3s-thread (see the long comment with the links - not all of those are still working...)

Many of those come from: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/g...e/index-e.html which has loads of old cylinder things.

There's also: http://archive.org/details/cylindertransfer with some christmas songs on.

I love this old stuff! The vintage music room CDs look good (some of their tracks are these old public domain tracks) but being the UK, downloads are easier!

I've got loads of great stuff now. The party is going to be rocking Christmas 1920s style!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whychristmas For This Useful Post:
HollyJolly (07-11-2013), RadioJonD (11-22-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Also Google "cylinder preservation and digitization project".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
RadioJonD (11-22-2012), whychristmas (11-22-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 01:47 PM

Last Achievements

fyi, the tags on the files in the '1920s Holiday CD' are all over the place - don't think any of them are right!!! Still good stuff though...
Old 11-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post
...In fact, I had forgotten just how useful Archive.com can be! Use various searches to find more 1920s Christmas!

Three by the Westbrook Conservatory Entertainers.

1920s-Holiday CD
Listening now to the second link---wonderful stuff, similar to the VAI album, which we love. We'll be downloading this one!

The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
RadioJonD (11-22-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 05:30 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by whychristmas View Post
fyi, the tags on the files in the '1920s Holiday CD' are all over the place - don't think any of them are right!!! Still good stuff though...
You're right about that! I was wondering if there were actually enough '20s tunes for your project. As we have collectively looked, I think so.