Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,434
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
santahat Light on a Snowy Day
By MMC Editor
11-07-2011 07:41 AM
0 Posts
Who Put the X in...
By MMC Editor
06-22-2010 10:45 PM
0 Posts
Christmas in Italy
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:22 PM
46,084 Views  0 Posts
Top Ten Questions for...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:08 PM
54,599 Views  0 Posts
Little Girl's Christmas:...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 07:55 PM
53,877 Views  0 Posts

Old 11-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 11,466 Times in 1,960 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
I just bought a pre-lit tree a couple of weeks ago because of the same problem of it getting old, needles falling all over the floor, etc..., (couldn't really find one without being pre-lit) and when I got it home, I cut all of the lights off and saved the bulbs; IE replacements....!

Now, I'm sure, that someone would ask why did you do that, well it's because I do not want to go thru the headache of trying to chase down the issue of if one light goes out, then they all go out and also, now I have a new tree that I can put the lights on it myself, where I want them and how many I want at any given time or year...

The Bell Still Rings for me,
as it does for all who truly Believe!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
shellie12 (11-07-2012), snowflake22 (02-04-2014)
Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,269 Times in 5,590 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
Good luck finding a tree that is NOT pre--lit that you like. Why is it that so many of them are pre-lit? I'm one of those who puts a lot of traditional stuff on my tree...that means a mix of miniature and C-7s (with reflectors)...and that means NO pre-lit trees for me. Every pre-lit tree I have owned I have regretted. Especially the FLOCKED tree.
I've found an unlit one online on balsamhill.com as my fallback tree if I can't find just what I want locally. (They have a good selection of unlit trees, BTW---pricy, but many include the stand, a storage bag, and a pair of gloves to protect your hands while shaping the branches.) I'd rather find one locally, 'cause I'm finicky about Christmas trees, so I'd rather see it personally before I buy. The only tree I ever bought online (a pre-lit one) I sent back, because it used non-standard bulbs, so I couldn't replace burnouts. (Another strike against pre-lit trees, I guess!)

I guess most trees sold are pre-lit because folks are too busy to "roll their own" and want to save time. But I found from experience that you spend extra time in the long run hunting down burnouts, once enough bulbs quit to put out a string or two. One of my least favorite activities of the season.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
shellie12 (11-07-2012), snowflake22 (02-04-2014)
Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

Lacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elf
I always buy unlit just because I like options on which lights to use each year. I bought a 7 1/2 foot unlit at Garden Ridge this year and I'm very pleased with it.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,385 Times in 9,029 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Sorry to hear that happened!

That is why I am scared to buy a pre-lit tree. I have always feared it would do exactly what you described. I guess I will stick with my 10 year old tree until it falls apart.

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (02-04-2014)
Old 11-06-2012, 01:38 PM
*The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess, Real Halloween.com

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,111 Times in 545 Posts
JanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the tree
Yeah I am NOT looking forward to the restringing part. :/ I think I will let my kids have the task of taking the old lights off...

Tonya- no I can't take them back.. owned them too long and warranties are up.

©♥Jana's Creations♥
{My photography Blog}
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JanaBanana For This Useful Post:
Adam (11-06-2012), snowflake22 (02-04-2014)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

christmasjingles has shown a merry dispositionchristmasjingles has shown a merry disposition
I have read that, usually, the lights on a pre-lit tree are good for about 3 years, so, if any of you is considering buying one, keep that in mind. Also, pre-lit trees are quite a bit more expensive. I bought a 7 1/2 ft pre-lit at a yard sale a few years ago for $50. The owner said it was 3 years old, but turns out it was a few years older than that. Last year, there were at least several bulbs burned out. I guess I will be crossing my fingers when I put it up this year.

Jana, I'm sorry this happened to you. Like someone else said, I would have thrown a major tantrum having to go through all that.

and, I am another one who does it 'the old fashioned way' by swearing while going around and around the tree. I am SO glad to know I am not alone, lol. (I got the pre-lit just to eliminate some of that, but I always add some lights anyway.)

anyway, any time I am looking to get a pre-lit, you can bet I will not pay full price. I will either buy another one from a yard sale, thrift store, or else buy a new one that is majorly discounted in an after Christmas sale.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christmasjingles For This Useful Post:
Adam (11-06-2012), GingerMel (11-08-2012), JanaBanana (11-06-2012), snowflake22 (02-04-2014)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Yikes Jana! I have been there, done that too!

My parents tree after about 3 years, decided it was done lighting. It was crappy taking the lights off of it. There are green clips to keep the wires on the branches. I had to pull them off, by the wire, and then cut the lights off/pull the wires off.

My mom decided she wanted LED and now I hate them. This was before the warm white, normal shaped bulbs came out. They are small dome lights. They have held up for a few years now.

I don't know if its because of the production of the tree, as to why the lights just stop working. Meaning, is it because they have to "man handle" the tree so much? Putting the lights on, clipping them in place, bending the branches, stuffing it in a box, taking it out, stuffing it back in again. Or is it because the lights on it are cheap to cut down the wholesale cost of the tree?

I would think about maybe going for a more "premium" light strand when you put new lights on it. Perhaps check if a bulb is removed, or smashed/broken if the lights stay on after. Or see if you can find reviews on certain brands of lights/check warranty on new ones.

Good luck and let us know what brand you end up buying etc.

When I did re-string the lights on the faux tree, I had to wear gloves!!!! The tree branches kept poking/scratching my hands.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
JanaBanana (11-06-2012), snowflake22 (02-04-2014)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 12,456 Times in 1,595 Posts
merrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemen
Janabanana i understand completely....we have a new 1 & after finishing it about 1 hour later i notice some are out. aftersearching i found 1 busted, what's w/ that? like you said they say they will keep burning but NOOOOO. uugghhhh!
Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

sammylar1304 has shown a merry dispositionsammylar1304 has shown a merry disposition
I have never had a pre-lit tree, i always buy a real tree because of the way they smell (it just wouldnt be christmas without it). I dont mind if the lights are not working because its all part of the fun, we all stand there round the socket......plug them in........flick the switch and..........nothing hhahahahahah, we will all then bundle in the car and wonder into town to buy some more whilst maybe getting a cocoa with marshmallows at the same time
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sammylar1304 For This Useful Post:
ClaireLovesChristmas (11-07-2012), Festive Spirit (11-07-2012), snowflake22 (02-04-2014)
Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Christmas Altair

Last Achievements

Thanked 20,029 Times in 2,876 Posts
shellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
hiya
i think pre lit are the worst ever
i sell them in the shop but would never have one myself
As you have found out they are not the eastiest of things to sort out.
What i can make of them is that if the lights go out and you cant get them sorted the tree is lost. well i suppose you can take all the lights of and you have a tree. but iis a waste
Just thinking iin your case it could be the maiin bulb that is gone and where you wood find that at it is usually has a whiite bit on it.
snowflake22 (02-04-2014)