Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Controversy & Opinion » UK Consumer Champion's interesting views on gift giving.

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,845
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Webmaster Partner, Why Christmas?

Last Achievements

whychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
18 16x16 UK Consumer Champion's interesting views on gift giving.

In the UK, we've got a great guy called Martin Lewis who runs a site called 'Money Saving Expert' and he's a real consumer champion and all round good bloke!

This year he's got a campaign to ban 'unnecessary' gifts and presents: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalis...-presents.html

I think he's got a very good point. I love giving and receiving gifts, but doing it for the sake of doing it (and often under pressure both financially and culturally) seems very wrong and against the true spirit of Christmas.

I love the idea of his 'pre NUPP' (no unnecessary present pact): http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/nupp/

When I was a teenager, my family just used to give each other 'the most useless thing you can find for under 1'! It so much fun and you really had to be imaginative! (I managed not to spend anything one year! I think my killer gift I gave was a calendar for that year with a week left on it!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whychristmas For This Useful Post:
Festive Spirit (11-20-2012), snowflake22 (03-06-2014)

Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,637 Times in 1,569 Posts
Festive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the Wisemen
I love Martin Lewis. He makes some very good points here. There is too much financial pressure for all teh wrong reasons and liek you said this isn't the true meaning of christmas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Festive Spirit For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-06-2014)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,322 Times in 5,934 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by whychristmas View Post
In the UK, we've got a great guy called Martin Lewis who runs a site called 'Money Saving Expert' and he's a real consumer champion and all round good bloke!

This year he's got a campaign to ban 'unnecessary' gifts and presents: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalis...-presents.html

I think he's got a very good point. I love giving and receiving gifts, but doing it for the sake of doing it (and often under pressure both financially and culturally) seems very wrong and against the true spirit of Christmas.

I love the idea of his 'pre NUPP' (no unnecessary present pact): http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/nupp/

When I was a teenager, my family just used to give each other 'the most useless thing you can find for under 1'! It so much fun and you really had to be imaginative! (I managed not to spend anything one year! I think my killer gift I gave was a calendar for that year with a week left on it!)
Some of his ideas are remarkably similar to those of the Society for the Prevention of Useless Giving (the Spugs), which formed 100 years ago in New York City! They were very much against "doing it for the sake of doing it (and often under pressure both financially and culturally)." Their story is here.

When Christmas presents become a financial burden or one-upsmanship instead of a gift from the heart, it's time to stop and think about what Christmas giving really should mean. I saw a statistic recently (I think I'm repeating this accurately) that 45% of people with income less than $50K would prefer to skip Christmas altogether. It would be a shame to have Christmas die out because of a perception that the public can't afford to celebrate it. Christmas means---or should mean---so much more than gift-giving.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Festive Spirit (11-21-2012), Meceka (11-20-2012), snowflake22 (03-06-2014)
Old 11-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Webmaster Partner, Why Christmas?

Last Achievements

whychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Wow that's cool! SPUGS ftw!!! I've tweeted it to Martin Lewis - I think he'll like that!

Would you mind if I used the info on your post for a page on whychristmas? I'll link back to the post of course...
The Following User Says Thank You to whychristmas For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-06-2014)
Old 11-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,322 Times in 5,934 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by whychristmas View Post
Wow that's cool! SPUGS ftw!!! I've tweeted it to Martin Lewis - I think he'll like that!

Would you mind if I used the info on your post for a page on whychristmas? I'll link back to the post of course...
Let me know if Martin Lewis responds---I never dreamed the Spugs would find their way back to him! He would have been a perfect Spug Captain.

Yes, you may use the info for a post, and thank you for the link back. (Considering the comments Lewis's article has been getting from folks who read the headline but not his article, I hope I'm not letting myself in for trouble!) My info is all based on New York Times articles from 1912 and 1913. I found them when the NYT archives were still available on Google.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Festive Spirit (11-21-2012), snowflake22 (03-06-2014)