Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,845
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 11-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

Snow is falling... has shown a merry dispositionSnow is falling... has shown a merry dispositionSnow is falling... has shown a merry dispositionSnow is falling... has shown a merry disposition
Christmas Eve

For me....Christmas Eve is almost better than the 25th itself!
My family have so many traditions, and quirks that it is, at least from my perspective, the best day of the year. All the people I know have completely contrasting ways of celebrating C.Eve. Some, play a round of golf. Some go on the town. What do you do?

For me....this sounds silly but it's what I do!...I get up quite early, 8am ish, and watch as many cartoon Xmas specials as I can Thenm after lunch, me and my mum go on the annual ''handing out cards'' marathon. We travel all over the countryside delivering the xmas cards to our friends...this sometimes takes the whole afternoon, and we arrive back as it grows dark, happy, and 16 mincepies heavier. It's great, as I don't see some of these people throughout the year. It's become a real tradition...while we're out my dad, sister, and little brother add the final touches to our decorations....freshly cut holly from the garden.

We arrive back, and the house looks that little bit better!

We then eat, put the little brother to bed....but not after watching the king of all xmas videos....''The Snowman''! After that, I read by the fire....maybe leave out a cookie and a carrot for 'ol Rudolf, and make my way to bed.

Then there's the sleepless nights. I don't know what i'm waiting for....But I can't sleep. Half of me's scared that It'll all be a big letdown.

But I look outside my window, praying for snowflakes...the carols are playing softly, and the tinsel twinks...I feel as happy as I can...

What do you guys do at Xmas Eve?

Snow is falling
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow is falling... For This Useful Post:
Chillywilly (07-19-2008)

Old 11-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Santa Clausologist

caseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elf
we go to my grandmother and hang out All Day (and i mean all day) we eat, play games open gifts, anything you can think of. This year eve falls on Sunday, so as soom as church is over we are going home to let the dogs out, gather up evrything that needs to be taken and to grandmothers house we go.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Ervserver

Christmas eve I look up the chimney every 15 minutes to see if Santa is there

Old 11-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

Misfit Toy has shown a merry dispositionMisfit Toy has shown a merry dispositionMisfit Toy has shown a merry disposition
Me too

Christmas Eve is usually the day family and them come over and we have the holiday bash. Xmas day I like nice and quiet and relaxing. For Xmas dinner we might have a few people over, depends on the year, we usually have a few. I like it small. Wake up, turn the fire on, turn on LOG (tv special or my LOG DVD) and OPEN and go through the stocking

Not to mention my dog wont even sleep Xmas Eve because he just stares at the door waiting for morning and then he darts right off to his stocking haha, he's so cute.

I even like watching the shopping channel on Xmas and part of Xmas Eve, because here they turn it into an all Xmas music and winter Xmas scenes video until they return boxing day (26th).
Old 11-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Mistletoeologist

ReineV has disabled reputation
I ADORE Christmas eve! I really enjoy it more than the 25th because of the awesome feeling of anticipation! My family gets together, has dinner, watches movies, bakes cookies and plays board/card games.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

mrshamm is a new face around here!
WE usually go to my Grannies for her Christmas party on Christmas eve but since Christmas eve is on a Sunday and my Grandfather and Father are both pastors, my Grannies party will be on the day before Christmas eve, my parents Christmas party will be after the Christmas eve morning service and then that evening my father has scheduled for my mom, dad, me, and my little brother to have a concert at their church in place of the evening service.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

ChristmasFanatic has shown a merry disposition
Christmas Eve has always been as fun as Christmas Day itself, for me. When I was old enough to drive and after I'd graduated from high school, I'd get my two younger brothers and we'd head to my Dad's for the afternoon. Dad would put out all kinds of snacks and we'd sit around and watch TV and just relax. My Mom and her sister used to trade off Christmas Eve get togethers...one year at my Aunt's, the next at Mom's, but once the grandkids began arriving and the houses became a wee bit too crowded, that tradition kind of ended and I'd spend Christmas Eve at Mom's and we'd simply prepare for Christmas Day and wrap any last minute gifts and relax and snack....and snack and snack! Last year, we had a small get together at the apartment, just Mom, my step-Dad a niece, nephew and my Grandparents. We prepared everything, so nothing had to be brought by the guests and we scheduled it for 1:00Pm until whenever. We all had a very nice time and by 5:00PM, everyone had left and we still had an evening to relax and enjoy. I guess we're doing the same thing, this year and I really can't wait.

When my folks were still married, the day was even more exciting and I think Mom and Dad spent the day trying to keep us a little calm. We'd attend church services that evening and then home for homemade cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate. I really don't have anything but wonderful memories for Christmas Eve and even a few bad years, I simply put out of my mind and enjoy the good years, even more.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,060 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
I love to attend church Christmas Eve but that's not always possible.

When we were raising our children I use to have Christmas dinner Christmas Eve, it gave the kids something to fill in the long evening and it freed me up on Christmas Day, I didn't have to cook, we just reheated leftovers. There are times we still have a Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve, it just depends.

Anytime I get to spend at home with my hubby just the two of us is the best. We just enjoy being together and sometimes watch a christmas movie.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

Ladybugkisses has shown a merry dispositionLadybugkisses has shown a merry dispositionLadybugkisses has shown a merry disposition
We sit around and listen to music and eat, eat and laugh.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Ervserver

eat....good idea