Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » It isn't Christmas without...

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,440
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Just Like Jesus
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:34 PM
0 Posts
Christmas Tree Decorating with Wreaths
By JeanetteDi
10-26-2011 04:05 PM
78,850 Views  0 Posts
The Story of Stan...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 06:32 PM
55,655 Views  0 Posts
The Tradition of...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 05:47 PM
62,588 Views  0 Posts
stocking Top Ten Reasons You...
By MMC Editor
09-23-2013 04:07 PM
13,744 Views  0 Posts

Old 01-29-2006, 10:54 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
>>Oh what is with the oranges. I never heard of oranges for Christmas.

Oranges are a big Christmas tradition with a lot of folks and it dates back hundreds, maybe thousands of years. St. Nicholas, as legend has it, during his time as a bishop heard of a family in desperate need. The family had three daughters and their father could not provide any dowry for his daughter to marry. Without a dowry she was destined to a barren life as a spinster. And having three daughters meant his problem was compounded.

The situation was so bad that he considered selling his oldest daughter into slavery just to have the means for a meager dowry for his two remaining daughters.

Word of his situation reached Bishop Nicholas, who in the dead of night donned his red-hooded cloak and tucked his long white beard inside of it and brought to the man and his family a small portion of gold to resolve the issue.

The legend is told many ways. Some say he merely left it on the porch. Others say he threw it up over the chimney when it landed in the girl's stocking as it hung by the fire to dry. Some say it wasn't a bag of gold but rather a ball of gold that he left in the toe of her stocking.

The orange is symbolic of the Bishop's gold and that is why many, through the years and even today, give oranges or, more importantly, put the orange in the toe of the stocking.

Jeff <--- has told this story before (one of my favs)
Old 02-19-2006, 04:43 PM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,408 Times in 809 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Thanks for the story, Jeff. I don't think my mother is aware of it. She claims she placed the tiny oranges in our stockings to weigh them down a bit and to eat so we wouldn't fill up merely on chocolates, cookies and assorted nuts.

The first or second time I received them, I enjoyed them so much that I asked for them in my letter to Santa. Isn't that a hoot.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:48 PM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,408 Times in 809 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
8) I agree that it wouldn't be Christmas without a Christmas Tree adorned with pretty lights and decorations. When I was younger, I loved tinsel - I thought it looked very expensive and that we were the wealthiest people in town.
Tinsel is great if you are decorating a Real Christmas Tree, but if your tree is artificial, I find it much too difficult to work with. I use garland for artificial trees. Lately, I have gone with blue and silver wide ribbon instead so that my ornaments are more visible.
And yes, the music and the special films and the trivia are wonderful highlights too.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:00 AM
Merry Fourms Member

Stargazer is a new face around here!
My.. I really can't pick one thing! It's just...everything that comes with it. The whole package together makes everything so incredibly magical. But I'd have to say, either the decorations or the carols. The roaring fireplace, the traditional carols playing, hot chocolate in a mug, friends all around you, the lights twinkling everywhere, the warmth, the snow outside...amazing.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

digbugsgirl has shown a merry dispositiondigbugsgirl has shown a merry dispositiondigbugsgirl has shown a merry dispositiondigbugsgirl has shown a merry disposition
I agree with you Stargazer. There's not one thing that I could pick. It's all one big package. Well, if I had to choose I would say the spirit. It certainly isn't Christmas if you don't have the spirit.

Brandy
Old 06-16-2006, 08:39 PM
On the Naughty List

sheepsnot is a new face around here!
I just wanted to tell the both of you how much I appreciate your being here on MMC. You have injected new life into our happy group. These summer months are slooooooooooowwwwww going here. Thanks for your memories and ideas.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Mistletoeologist

ReineV has disabled reputation
my family!!! I like the Christmas tree and the decorations and all, but really, it's not Christmas without my family. They make my holidays beautiful.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:17 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself

elfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happy
charlie brown!!!!

xo

"Elfworks is right." *Jeff Westover

HAVE SPATULA. WILL TRAVEL......
www.thyca.org
http://www.aace.com/public/awareness...kCheckCard.pdf

OH HAPPY DAY! THE END OF KAKISTOCRACY IS HERE!!

"NO, NO, NO ! I mean JINGLE BELLS ! You know... Santa Claus and Ho Ho Ho and Mistletoe and presents to pretty girls..." * Lucy Van Pelt
"All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!" * Lucy Van Pelt
Old 09-02-2006, 05:33 AM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
rudolph, its just not the same without a rudolph viewing
Old 09-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Santa Clausologist

caseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elf
being with family