Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » Christmastime Charities

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,439
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Lower Your Thanksgiving...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:48 PM
49,919 Views  0 Posts
Xtree1 The Christmas Legend of...
By MMC Editor
10-29-2012 02:18 PM
37,861 Views  0 Posts
Mostly Homemade (and...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2011 03:31 PM
46,017 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree Decorating with Rope...
By JeanetteDi
08-30-2011 08:04 AM
65,954 Views  0 Posts
Korat Christmas
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:32 PM
47,424 Views  0 Posts

Old 12-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
Christmastime Charities

One of my favorite things about this time of year is the prevalence of charities and the spirit of charitable giving that so many have. Everyone know about the Salvation Army and Toys for Tots, but what are your favorite charities that might be local or have an unusual mission? Here are my favorities

Charity Newsies: a 105 year old organization here in Franklin County, Ohio (the 2nd largest in Ohio and home of Columbus) was formed when some local businessmen saw a newsboy selling papers on a frigid evening. They took of the task of selling the boy's papers to get him out of the cold. The mission of the Newsies is to provide new clothing to school age children, having clothed over 500,000 kids in their history with a current average of over 13,000 kids clothed per year. Our largest fundraiser is on the 2nd Saturday in December when we take to the streets, rain, snow or shine, and continue of tradition of selling newspapers with 100% of the proceeds going to the charitable cause.

White Christmas Food Program This is an effort of local schools and churches in our area in which nonperishable food is donated by the groups and distributed (along with a fresh chicken, eggs, etc) a few days before Christmas to several hundred families in need. All the sorting, boxing, and distribution of the food is done by any volunteer who shows up. For the past several years I've taken our oldest daughter to help, even before she could read the food labels, so that she can develop her own sense of giving.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
Mumof2 (12-01-2012), reindeerelf (12-06-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 04:49 PM
One Happy lil Elf
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,149 Times in 816 Posts
Mumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happy
Back home,My Nephew always hosts a Toys for Tots Christmas party.To get in all ya do is bring a new,un-wrapped gift.I sure do miss that.Always alotta fun.
We always put money in the pots for local charities here.They used to have the Angel Tree down here,but I haven't seen it this Year.

Pray for Peace People Everywhere!
Victoria
Old 12-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

reindeerelf has disabled reputation
Christmas Ball 3

Our church does a Christmas gifts for the homeless program that focuses on warm clothing. We support a number of shelters and organizations that reach out to those less fortunate,. My partner and I have coordinated the effort for 15 years. This year we have retired. Not to worry however, because another volunteer worked with us as a trainee and has now "picked up the batton" and we are continuing to contribute gifts and time to the effort.

It is a real eye opener to work on such a project. The people who run these shelters and organizations are amazing. They all could make considerably more money elsewhere but they truly believe in what they are doing. They also see how the number of those in need--many of whom are what are now called working poor--continues to increase every year and they do not have the resources to help all of those who need it. I spite of it all they maintain a positive attitude and are very grateful for any assistance they recieve. I would encourage anyone who has the time to get involved in this type of program. Not only will you see that something must be done about the increasing poverty in the richest nation on the planet but you will meet some truly inspirational people.
redkaga (12-07-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
The church where I work partners with a couple of other area churches to do something called "Jubilee Christmas".

The families chosen to participate are invited to "shop" for their children at our event. The parents are invited to choose one $35 gift, one $25 gift and one $15 gift for each of their children. The shopping areas are broken down by age and gender and are OVERFLOWING with toys. No one is ever "stuck" choosing something that no one else wanted.

The parents are paired with a volunteer who carries the gifts they've chosen and helps them through the process - they will even provide a ride if the family doesn't have transportation.

Once they have chosen their gifts they move to the wrapping station where any needed batteries are provided and the gifts are wrapped so the parents don't even have to worry about buying wrapping paper.

They are also given two stocking stuffers for each child along with gift certificates for a local grocery store so they can buy food they need for Christmas dinner.

It's an awesome way to give back at Christmas time!