Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Newswire Christmas Newswire.comBringing you news and headlines about Christmas from news sources around the web and from sites of the Merry Network, presented by Christmas Newswire. Members also use this area to share links to local Christmas news and events. Christmas is a year round newsmaker.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,094
Threads: 53,939
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,013)
Welcome to our newest member, RMcGuigan

Old 08-29-2007, 07:34 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

MarthaK has shown a merry dispositionMarthaK has shown a merry disposition
Remembering a Big Christmas Heart

I ran across this article while doing research. I hope when I'm gone people will remember me this way.

August 8, 2007 Wednesday 6:39 PM GMT

Man killed in crash remembered for his Christmas village

SECTION: STATE AND REGIONAL

LENGTH: 267 words

DATELINE: WEST CORINNE Utah

The family of a man killed in a car crash hopes his legacy will live on in the Christmas village he created complete with reindeer and festive hay rides.

Before his death Saturday, Donald Schulze, 54, operated a Christmas village in his backyard, which included a mini-aviary, a gift shop and a pasture for reindeer. He and his wife, Fay, also gave hay rides and hot chocolate near Christmas.

Schulze's sister, Iva Gerhardt, said she hopes the family can keep his dream going and that people will continue to visit the village.

"It brought him so much joy, and it was starting to get big he wanted it to be magical," Gerhardt said. "It will be weird this year without him."

Fay Schulze said her husband's greatest joy was dressing up like Santa Claus and sharing the reindeer and village with visitors. He loved to see children react to the reindeer, she said.

"He talked about reindeer from the day I met him. It (the village) was a dream come true for him. He lived for it and loved to make the kids happy," she said. "He never thought it would be so successful."

She said her husband shaved his beard the day after each Christmas, then let it grow the rest of the year preparing for his role as St. Nick.

Even when he wasn't dressed in his Santa suit, kids would see the beard and believe he was really Santa, she said.

Don's niece, 12-year-old Kodi Kihostadius, said she always looked forward to helping at the village during the Christmas season. "He liked to give candy canes and chocolate to the kids," she said. "He was cool and made it fun."

Information from: Standard-Examiner, http://www.standard.net

Old 08-29-2007, 07:53 AM
Santa Clausologist

Cedarfarm is a good elfCedarfarm is a good elfCedarfarm is a good elfCedarfarm is a good elfCedarfarm is a good elfCedarfarm is a good elf
Oh Martha, that was lovely.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

haagarr has shown a merry dispositionhaagarr has shown a merry disposition
That is beautiful I used to live close to there to bad I did not no about it I would have visit
Old 08-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

little miss icequeen has shown a merry dispositionlittle miss icequeen has shown a merry disposition
This brought tears to my eyes. Beautiful.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
holly

This was truly a heart felt story. Very touching.