Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Newswire Christmas Newswire.comBringing you news and headlines about Christmas from news sources around the web and from sites of the Merry Network, presented by Christmas Newswire. Members also use this area to share links to local Christmas news and events. Christmas is a year round newsmaker.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,840
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 09-02-2007, 12:20 PM
MMC Newshound

Thanked 1,555 Times in 1,078 Posts
ElfBot has disabled reputation
Global Warming Reaches into Christmas

It was bound to happen. The political debates of global warming have reached Christmas. But the attackers who swear your SUV*is killing the planet are taking a fresh approach when it comes to Christmas. You’d think they’d be up in arms about the tons of wasted paper represented by Christmas wrap or perhaps we would [...]

More from Real Christmas...
Old 09-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I have never had a real tree ever. I have always talked about it, now I have motivation to get one.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:14 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

MissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elf
we've always had real trees but they drop like a million needles & they go red near the end
Old 09-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

EstherSmith has shown a merry disposition
We ALWAYS had real trees growing up. Now, I live in an apartment and real trees are not allowed. Putting up the fake tree is less fuss--you don't have to stand in the cold looking at dozens of trees, no chopping off the bottom of the trunk with the old, dull saw that we only used once a year, no spending hours adjusting the tree in the stand to make sure it's straight, no picking up needles on your hands and knees off of our old FOREST GREEN carpet...sigh...

But, given the chance to have a live tree again, would I do it?

YOU BET I WOULD!!!

Nothing beats the look and smell of a live Christmas tree.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

Clark Griswold has shown a merry disposition
What a crock.

I remember when everyone touted buying artificial trees was better for the planet. Now real trees are better for the planet? Right. I will beleive that when I see it. I think it's better for the person selling them to get more money. That's about it.

We used to do real trees every year up until two years ago. I talked my family into artificial. Mainly for the following reasons..

1 - It can be up and ready to go after halloween/thanksgiving or whenever it is we put it up.

2 - It is pre-lit. I connect the cords, plug it in - I am done! Don't get me wrong, I love decorating - but if I can save some time and some cursing - I will.

3 - They don't drop needles, they don't need water and they don't have sap.

4 - The stand comes with it and I don't need to level it

5 - Artificial trees today - rival mother nature. I can assure you the trees I have - if they smelled like trees - you would never know the difference. Even if you touched it.

6 - I don't throw it away, I don't waste 100 bux and I can save it for many Christmas' to come. Hell, quality artificial trees are airlooms. They are built that good!

So, save the live trees for those that want them and keep them planted to help make O2 for us and provide shade to keep the earths temps down.

Gotta love flip floppers!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

Storeytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
tree

To each his own, but I'm a real tree man from way back. It's as much a part of Christmas for my family as anything else is. The time my son and I spend together on the trek to get our tree would be worth well over 100 dollars. Our tree usually costs about 50 dollars. For me, it's the only way to go. But, as I said, to each his own.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:12 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,931 Times in 2,417 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
I agree, Storeytime. We use an artificial tree now because we have to -- not because we want to. Living here in the dessert guarantees that any fresh tree you buy or cut down will give you five days before it becomes a serious hazard or an utter mess.

But the artificial tree has it's problems too. We made the mistake of buying a beautiful flocked tree. Pre-lit, the works for about $200. We put it up around Thanksgiving and by the middle of December we lost half the lights. We fixed that with more lights. But this year I've got to trouble shoot each branch by flakey frosty branch to straighten it out.

It's messier than all get out.

Meanwhile, my kids are missing out on a tradition I adored growing up. We'd all pile in the station wagon and head to the mountains of Northern California to cut down our own tree. The arguments my mother and my sisters had while selecting the perfect tree were classic. The grumbling and swearing by my father as the tree was cut down and hauled to the car was legendary. The look of the tree and the wreath my brothers and I fashioned and attached to the grill of the old wagon was priceless. And the event of getting it home late in the afternoon, getting it in the house and set up and decorating it was magic we repeated Christmas after Christmas. I've give anything to be able to do that with my kids now.

But when you live in the land of barren nothingness you either get an Oregon import that is strip mined in the month of October and sold on asphalt for $100 or you have to win a lottery for 50 trees in the entire state that are sold on BLM lands. Both will cause you to lose your Christmas patience, if not your spirit all together.

As it is, I practically have to close my eyes when we pull the dumb thing out of the box. That's how little romance there is in it.

We've even stategically planted our own trees here in hopes of someday having our own. We figured it would take 5 years or so to harvest one. We're on year #7 and we're up tp about 3 feet and looking pretty sad. Our soil and our climate just can't sustain Christmas life.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:09 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

Merry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
santahat

While nothing can match the look or smell of a real tree, they really should be left in the ground where they belong. With that in mind, if you must have a real tree, try to get a potted tree that you can replant after the holidays!

If its not a replantable tree, be sure its properly recycled. A chipped tree provides valuable mulch and ground cover as well as animal bedding for zoos and shelters.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
tree

I have both real and artificial one as well. Wow! I now confused!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

emski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elf
I would love a real tree, but my husband is allergic, so we use an artificial tree. In the past, I've always purchased cheapie trees, and they end up looking so sad. I think this year I'm going to splurge and get a really nice one.