Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » Electric Candles - Where Are The Good Ones?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,848
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,200)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 09-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

Clark Griswold has shown a merry disposition
Electric Candles - Where Are The Good Ones?

Maybe you all can help me with my quest. I made a terrible mistake last year of purchasing electric candles that had the dreadful dusk/dawn sensor on them. They were terrible. Oh they worked, but heaven forbid if ANY light was on in the room. I trashed them after christmas.

I am looking for electric candles with on/off switches that have the gold brass looking cord that lamps do (not the off white cheap cord), brass base and NO sensors!

Where can I find them?? All the ones I find a cheap, china made with those cheap cords. Where has the quality gone?

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

haagarr has shown a merry dispositionhaagarr has shown a merry disposition
Look in the more upscale department stores, I would say a name brand like GE. I hope this could be of some help.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:01 PM
MMC Forummaster & Tech Elf

dominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companion
I HATE General Electric with a passion. Nothing I've purchased from them has lasted more than a couple years. I bought a set of chaser lights from them with covers that were supposed to look like C9 bulbs. I got one bad set from the get-go. The second set I got after returning the first lasted a season and a half. By early December of the second year I had them, the orange stopped working; not wanting to go up on the roof with snow I just dealt with it. A week later the blue stopped working as well.

It's not just Christmas lights, either. Phones, TVs, fans... the list goes on. I try my best to not buy their products any more.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

reindeerelf has disabled reputation
santahat Electric Candles

Check out Christmas Tree Hill (http://www.christmastreehill.com/hosligbul.html).
They also have a great selection of bulbs.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by reindeerelf View Post
Check out Christmas Tree Hill (http://www.christmastreehill.com/hosligbul.html).
They also have a great selection of bulbs.

Thank you! They look very good and not like the cheap 3 dollar candles. Planning on picking some of these http://www.christmastreehill.com/ches95elwinc.html .

Now my next question, I used suction cup holders last year for the cheap candles, however these new ones have a 3" base. This will not fit in the holder. They will sit on our sills, but will overhang a little more than 1/4". They should be fine, but I need something to secure them or extend the sill out so everything is ok.

Thanks for everyones help so far
Old 09-08-2007, 02:48 PM

dominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companion
If you don't mind the adhesive on your sill or window, 3M makes a terrific velcro-like product called Dual Lock. Instead of looped fiber and hooks, it's a "self mating" product (meaning it attaches to itself instead of having two parts) that's made up of tiny plastic balls. Very secure stuff. With this stuff, you would have a mounting point each year.

For something more temporary, I've had good luck with 3M Command adhesive strips.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

RavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elf
thanks for that tip Dominick
Old 09-08-2007, 05:11 PM

Yes, thank you. Do you think those strips will stick to the felt that is on the bottom of most candles?
Old 09-08-2007, 06:32 PM

As long as the felt doesn't pull off of the candle, I think it would hold.

Raven, good to see you around!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:35 PM

I will give it a whirl and see how it goes.