Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Archives > Hall of Fame » Christmas Countdown - 2013

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Hall of Fame Over the years we have had many memorable discussions and events. Archived here are closed discussions we like to look back on from Christmas past.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,840
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 08-27-2013, 11:48 AM
MMC Associate Editor -- Christmas Foods

Last Achievements

Thanked 47,616 Times in 7,651 Posts
Meceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
I was hoping he'd see my post and give her a try. I love the three movies with Edna May Oliver! And the mystery books and stories are good, too ... not so much for plot, but for characters and dialogue. The story goes that after Stuart Palmer saw how Oliver played Miss Withers, he began to write the character of Miss Withers based on Edna May Oliver's interpretation! I recall one book where Miss Withers goes to Hollywood and keeps getting stopped for autographs by people who think she's Oliver.

For those who don't know, Hildegarde Withers is a mystery story detective from the 1930s to the 1960s created by writer Stuart Palmer---she's an old-maid schoolteacher who is friends with a salty police chief in New York City and keeps involving herself in murder cases and annoying her friend by solving them.
I'm going to have to try and find this series. A library trip is in order. Thank you for the info, Merry! I hope you are having a better day, too!!

There seems a magic in the very name of Christmas ~ Charles Dickens

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face ~ Victor Hugo
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Meceka For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (08-27-2013), Holiday (08-27-2013), made582 (08-27-2013), MerryCarey (08-27-2013), Ryan (08-27-2013), Seawaters (08-27-2013), snowflake22 (08-27-2013), sugar142286 (08-29-2013), xmas365 (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,619 Times in 12,678 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
You are SO RIGHT, Joyfully Yours.

Originally Posted by Joyfully yours View Post
Totally agree with you there.........something soothing about Fall, the busy summer has ended and now we can get into the "relax mode of the coming seasons. Time for quiet contemplation, writing, baking, and just taking life a little bit slower. I love all the seasons, each one comes at the appropriate time to refresh us one and all!
Have a great day!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,284 Times in 5,923 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Meceka View Post
I think I have seen "The Penguin Pool Murder" - if I remember correctly, I rather liked it.
If you saw it, I'm sure you liked it! It's about a murder at a public aquarium. An old-maid schoolteacher who was there with her pupils when the body is discovered sets out to solve the murder. Followed by "Murder on the Blackboard" (a schoolteacher is murdered) and "Murder on a Honeymoon" (a murder takes place on the way to Catalina Island---much of the film was shot on location there, and many of the locations still exist).

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (08-27-2013), Holiday (08-27-2013), made582 (08-27-2013), Meceka (08-27-2013), Ryan (08-27-2013), Seawaters (08-27-2013), snowflake22 (08-27-2013), sugar142286 (08-29-2013), xmas365 (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 11:51 AM

Last Achievements

Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Oooo. That sounds so good.

Originally Posted by xmas365 View Post
Good morning, all

Quickly popping in before I have to drop off the boys at my in-laws house and head to work. It is the last day of summer vacation for JP, so the real fun will begin tomorrow when it's time to wrangle him out the door in time. I have my inventory tonight so I work this evening and tomorrow evening, but I have this upcoming weekend off so 2 nights in one week is fine with me. Our local orchard opens for business this Saturday, my wife wants to go there and see if they have a Halloween tree to decorate in the house for October, she has been wanting one for a few years now, and after Labor Day it is free game to start decorating for Fall/Harvest/Halloween.

Have a great day!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:52 AM
MMC Associate Editor -- Christmas Foods

Last Achievements

Thanked 47,616 Times in 7,651 Posts
Meceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Good afternoon, MMC!

I hope this finds everyone well. I am feeling under the weather so stayed home. There is a bit of a breeze coming in the window right now so it is comfortable. I think a nap is definitely in order, though. Hopefully I will dream of Christmas!

Be MERRY!

There seems a magic in the very name of Christmas ~ Charles Dickens

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face ~ Victor Hugo
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Meceka For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (08-27-2013), Christmasstar (08-27-2013), Holiday (08-27-2013), made582 (08-27-2013), mgramsey (08-28-2013), Ryan (08-27-2013), Seawaters (08-27-2013), snowflake22 (08-27-2013), sugar142286 (08-29-2013), xmas365 (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 AM

Last Achievements

Great to see you, Jude and Noel's Mama! How are things in your neck of the woods?

Originally Posted by judesmama View Post
Hi everyone, miss you guys!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,284 Times in 5,923 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I'm going to have to try and find this series. A library trip is in order. Thank you for the info, Merry! I hope you are having a better day, too!!
You might find the books by Stuart Palmer, but you probably won't find the DVDs at the library. They've just been released on DVD by Warner Archive, so they've never been released in stores (well, there was a laserdisc of "The Penguin Pool Murder" years ago). TMC shows them on cable now and then.

Here's a list of the books (from Wikipedia)---many of them are in print:
  • The Penguin Pool Murder (1931)
  • Murder on Wheels (1932)
  • Murder on the Blackboard (1932)
  • The Puzzle of the Pepper Tree (1933)
  • The Puzzle of the Silver Persian (1934)
  • The Puzzle of the Red Stallion (1935) [also known as "The Puzzle of the Briar Pipe"]
  • The Puzzle of the Blue Banderilla (1937)
  • The Puzzle of the Happy Hooligan (1941)
  • The Riddles of Hildegarde Withers (1947), an anthology of short stories
  • Miss Withers Regrets (1947)
  • Four Lost Ladies (1949)
  • The Green Ace (1950) [also known as "At One Fell Swoop"]
  • The Monkey Murder and other Tales (1950), and anthology of short stories
  • Nipped in the Bud (1951) [also known as "Trap for a Redhead"]
  • Cold Poison (1954) [also known as "Exit Laughing"]
  • The People Vs. Withers and Malone (1963), written with Craig Rice
  • Hildegarde Withers Makes the Scene (1969), completed by Fletcher Flora after Palmer's death
  • Hildegarde Withers: Uncollected Riddles (2002), an anthology of short stories

My day's going a little better than yesterday, although not as well as I'd like. But I'll take it!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (08-27-2013), Holiday (08-27-2013), made582 (08-27-2013), Meceka (08-27-2013), Ryan (08-27-2013), Seawaters (08-27-2013), snowflake22 (08-27-2013), sugar142286 (08-29-2013), xmas365 (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 22,608 Times in 3,644 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
I just don't understand creative copywriting. Specifically, how a campaign that consists of long statements printed in all-cap bold block letters on buildings and walls and sidewalks with no punctuation and NO mention of the client can drive business to (un)said client ... I spent quite a bit of time penciling in the correct punctuation, but I'm sure it'll all be rejected 'cause it interferes with the design. I say **** the design and use proper punctuation so readers can understand the message instead of having to puzzle it out! But then again, I'm not a highly paid Creative Person. Such is the life of a proofreader, the silent red-pencil cry in the creative wilderness ...
(((HUGS)))

Originally Posted by Seawaters View Post
We have been trying for six months to get our building permit to begin construction on our new kitchen/den area. Hubby drew up the plans in AutoCAD, sent them to an architect, then sent them to the engineering firm, and then to the county building inspector. The building inspector, of course, had to find something wrong, so it was back to the drawing board, so to speak. The engineering firm assigned one of the engineers to our project. Hubby made the changes that the building inspector wanted and we sent it back to the engineers for their signatures. During that time, the engineer assigned to our project, left the firm for another job. We had no clue why it was taking so long and finally called the owner of the engineering firm. He told us the first engineer had quit, blah, blah, blah. They re-assigned our project to someone else, and we are finally seeing some movement!!! We hope to get approval this week, but the county building inspector is notorious for finding lots of things wrong that he tells you about "piece-meal." He sometimes does things differently from the codes, too, like requiring a certain fuse box (normally more expensive) when the code calls for a different one (less expensive). I think his lack of experience is making him more "strict" than he needs to be. Also, he is a "my way or the highway" kind of guy. Hubby is no slouch in the inspection business. He was an inspector for the US Forest Service for the last few years on the job, prior to retirement. When you ask the county guy to show you the specific requirement in the code book he gets ticked off at you and then things start slowing down, if you know what I mean, like "how dare you question me." In addition, the money we have to pay just to get the needed permits is close to $5,000. The square footage for the addition and screened-in patio is 1,320 square feet. Because of this, we have to pay a school tax up front of close to $1,000. It seems like it is "always something, never nothing." Hopefully, things will get into high gear this week or the next. We have to worry about the weather: Hubby is doing the work by himself (my oldest son will be helping with the trusses and a little bit of the initial construction), and because of the delays so far, we have to worry about fall/winter because of the rain that we normally get.

Okay, enough of my whining! I have to go to the dentist's office sometime today to get the insurance info to the front office. What fun. Not! So, I will look at some more posts and read more email and TTYL.
(((HUGS))) to you too!!! I hope ou are able to to get your permit very soon!!! Why is it never easy when dealing with inspectors??

Good afternoon, MMC!

I hope this finds everyone well. I am feeling under the weather so stayed home. There is a bit of a breeze coming in the window right now so it is comfortable. I think a nap is definitely in order, though. Hopefully I will dream of Christmas!

Be MERRY!
Hope you are feeling better quick!!!!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (08-27-2013), made582 (08-27-2013), Meceka (08-27-2013), MerryCarey (08-27-2013), Ryan (08-27-2013), Seawaters (08-27-2013), snowflake22 (08-27-2013), sugar142286 (08-29-2013), xmas365 (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 12:01 PM

Last Achievements

It sounds like you are busy! Do you have a lot of work to do on your website?

Originally Posted by kizzy View Post
Hi everybody! been a busy day here so far, ive sorted loads in my shop and done lots of work on my website. ready to get the car from the cdar park and take a load of stuff home to deal with, but i have to wait until 4pm before i can close the shop door and get on with itso i am having a cup of tea and a biscuit (or 3!) while i have a little break!.
Originally Posted by made582 View Post
Hope your hubbies appointment well and that it's not to bad!!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:02 PM

Last Achievements

Somehow I KNEW you would comment on this post!

Originally Posted by made582 View Post
Sounds like a great way to spend a sunday!!!!