Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Archives > Hall of Fame » Christmas Countdown - 2013

Hall of Fame Over the years we have had many memorable discussions and events. Archived here are closed discussions we like to look back on from Christmas past.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,657)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
"A Christmas White...
By MerryCarey
11-11-2011 07:26 AM
57,902 Views  0 Posts
Top Ten Questions for...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:08 PM
54,598 Views  0 Posts
Santa Speaks 2000
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 10:54 PM
43,669 Views  0 Posts
Dear Santa: Say a Prayer
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:37 PM
Last post by Christmasstar
07-11-2011 05:27 PM
1 Posts
Time-Saving Thanksgiving...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:57 PM
74,311 Views  0 Posts

Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 AM
*Harlowe's Mom*

Last Achievements

Thanked 82,158 Times in 13,834 Posts
snowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Seawaters View Post
My speech:

Some of you may remember Charles Kuralt of CBS News fame, a fellow North Carolinian. When he was ready to retire, he said that his inner voice told him he had to give up his big salary and his corner office and leave his Sunday morning program to somebody else. The voice told him that he did not have a world of time left to do all those things he had promised himself he would do someday. In his own words, Kuralt wrote, “I had worked at CBS for 37 years. Without a single misgiving, I sat down at my desk at home and typed a short letter to my boss: ‘Dear Eric, I feel it is time to resign from CBS News. Accordingly, I ask that you find a replacement for me on my show, Sunday Morning, as soon as possible—by the end of this month, I hope….’ I delivered this letter that same day. The second it was out of my hand, I felt a wave of giddy release. I felt like singing. The thing was done, and I was on my own. CBS announced my departure as my ‘retirement,’ and Dan Rather read the announcement so solemnly on the air that many people, upon hearing it, assumed at first that I had died. It wasn’t an obituary notice I had meant to hand in; it was a Declaration of Independence. I wanted Roman candles, not funeral wreaths. Even the word ‘retirement’ suggested a withdrawal I was nowhere near ready for. I knew I might retire somewhere down the road, but I desired an adventurous passage from here to there.”
I am no Charles Kuralt, but I am now ready to give up my big salary and my corner office and to leave my classroom to somebody else, Tara Be**ns.
Some of you know that I am known as The Mean Teacher and, yes, I AM a mean teacher. I am a MEAN teacher because I insist that each student do the best s/he is capable of doing.

I am a MEAN teacher because I insist that students hand in their assignments on time.

I am a MEAN teacher because I do not accept incomplete assignments.

I am a MEAN teacher because I require students to think carefully and to make his/her own decisions.

I am a MEAN teacher because I hold each student responsible for his/her own behavior.

I am a MEAN teacher because I make students keep the classroom, themselves, and their belongings neat and clean.

I am a MEAN teacher because I do not allow free time in class until all classwork is done.

I am a MEAN teacher because I give homework regularly, every single night except for Friday.

I am a MEAN teacher because I call on students who don't raise their hands to answer questions.

I am a MEAN teacher because I require all students to treat each other with respect.

I am a MEAN teacher because I make life miserable for my students by insisting they always tell the truth.

I am a MEAN teacher because I help produce students who are respectful, responsible, and successful.

Yes, I am a MEAN teacher because THE WORLD NEEDS MORE MEAN* TEACHERS!

MEAN = Making Excellence A Necessity)
You're right, the world needs more *MEAN* teachers like you!!

I had a teacher like that in H.S. and he taught me the most about life, in and out of the classroom.

You have so much to be proud of!!

Have an excellent last day!! Xo
Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 AM
Mayor of The North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,609 Times in 4,412 Posts
Bradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by ballcoach View Post
Please, please, please...don't put this on my facebook page....because we are waiting to tell our family because of the difficulties we have experienced....

but....

I'm going to be a Dad...shhhhh.....
Yippee!!

Congrats to you and your wife, my friend!
ballcoach (01-31-2013), caninemom3 (01-31-2013), Christmasstar (01-31-2013), made582 (01-31-2013), merrymistletoe (01-31-2013), mgramsey (01-31-2013), Seawaters (01-31-2013), snowflake22 (01-31-2013), xmas365 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:54 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 12,452 Times in 1,973 Posts
brent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa envious
Good morning everyone!

We're closing in on the first weekend of February! In Ottawa, people seem ready to leave the coldest month of the year behind us. I don't mind January though. We had a good mix. A couple record setting days for warmth and also a stretch of very cold days where we were lucky to reach out of the -30c's! Judging by the long range forecast, there is no forecast for a warm or cold spell. This will be great for the outdoor rinks. It would be nice to have at least a few more weeks of enjoyment out of them.

Last night was relatively quiet. The gym was fun, as usual. The only real frustrating part right now is having to run 40 minutes for rehabilitating my knee. I've gotten over the fact that I cannot powerlift just yet, but 40 minutes on a treadmill isn't the greatest of times. It is all for a good cause, however. I can't wait to finally be medically cleared for high impact activities. The good news is that there is an end in sight. It can't be any later than the end of February. We'll see after my appointment next Thursday.

Lots of happenings on here. Congratulations, again, to ballcoach on his most excellent news of a baby! All the best health and happiness to his wife, too! Congratulations to Seawaters on her retirement part as well. Wonderful events!

Most of my colleagues are at a meeting this morning. I am left with only a few things to do... Or that I want to do. Have a great Thursday, everyone! The weekend (and February) is only a day away! Get ready to turn that calendar!

"The bells, the bows and the flashing lights, the mistletoes and the 'Silent Nights. It's all for show, but that's all right. That's not why I love this time of year..."
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to brent For This Useful Post:
ballcoach (01-31-2013), Bradmac (01-31-2013), caninemom3 (01-31-2013), Christmas-A-Holic (01-31-2013), Christmasstar (01-31-2013), made582 (01-31-2013), merrymistletoe (01-31-2013), mgramsey (01-31-2013), Seawaters (01-31-2013), snowflake22 (01-31-2013), xmas365 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:57 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 12,452 Times in 1,973 Posts
brent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa envious
Originally Posted by snowflake22 View Post
You're right, the world needs more *MEAN* teachers like you!!

I had a teacher like that in H.S. and he taught me the most about life, in and out of the classroom.

You have so much to be proud of!!

Have an excellent last day!! Xo
I agree. Great speech, Seawaters! The world needs more MEAN teachers. I'd be the same way - if I finally found a position. My favourite teacher was the exact same way and he was my most influential teacher. I'm sure that you had a similar effect on many students, too!

"The bells, the bows and the flashing lights, the mistletoes and the 'Silent Nights. It's all for show, but that's all right. That's not why I love this time of year..."

Last edited by MerryCarey; 01-31-2013 at 07:10 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to brent For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (01-31-2013), Christmasstar (01-31-2013), made582 (01-31-2013), merrymistletoe (01-31-2013), Seawaters (01-31-2013), snowflake22 (01-31-2013), xmas365 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,369 Times in 9,026 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Giordan was almost overwhelmed with his award as Student of the Month. His face turned red and he said, "But I don't have a backpack to keep the award safe!" The principal gave him a special folder for it. I wish all of you could have seen him. He was smiling and grinning from ear to ear. So, so special!
That is so sweet!!!! He will remember your kindness forever!

Very happy about your party and great speech! You deserve it very much my friend!
One of the best days of my life has come to an end. Now, the nightly prayers for a healthy baby will begin (although there have already been about 50).

Isn't it funny...the only people in mY life who know are people that I have never met....

I think that speaks volumes for the tight-knit community we have here.

Thanks for the well wishes. It only made my night better.
It is awesome we all have each other as we Countdown to Christmas sharing all our wonderful experiences life brings us!

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
ballcoach (01-31-2013), caninemom3 (01-31-2013), Christmasstar (01-31-2013), made582 (01-31-2013), mgramsey (01-31-2013), Seawaters (01-31-2013), snowflake22 (01-31-2013), xmas365 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,269 Times in 5,590 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint

MEAN = Making Excellence A Necessity)
You are my favorite MEANie!

One of the best days of my life has come to an end. Now, the nightly prayers for a healthy baby will begin (although there have already been about 50).

Isn't it funny...the only people in mY life who know are people that I have never met....

I think that speaks volumes for the tight-knit community we have here.

Thanks for the well wishes. It only made my night better.
Thank you for giving us the honor of knowing first. We'll be sharing your excitement, your anticipation, even your nerves. Congratulations, pop-to-be!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
ballcoach (01-31-2013), Bradmac (01-31-2013), caninemom3 (01-31-2013), Christmasstar (01-31-2013), made582 (01-31-2013), merrymistletoe (01-31-2013), Seawaters (01-31-2013), snowflake22 (01-31-2013), xmas365 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,269 Times in 5,590 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by jennifer91 View Post
I have missed so much the past couple of days. I am glad that I popped in tonight so I didn't miss the great news from Coach, of course! Congratulations again :]

I am exhausted so I am heading back to bed. I haven't slept well for a week or so, I could really use a good night's sleep. My stomach has been iffy for the past couple of days so I think once that goes away I will sleep better. We have really been having the wacky weather here. Six inches of snow, then it warmed up to almost 70 degrees today, and then tons and tons of rain. It's crazy! Tomorrow we're supposed to get snow and another 3 inches this weekend. I think I'll be taking vitamins to avoid getting sick!
It's always something, isn't it? Take care of yourself.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (01-31-2013), Christmasstar (01-31-2013), snowflake22 (01-31-2013), xmas365 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by jennifer91 View Post
I have missed so much the past couple of days. I am glad that I popped in tonight so I didn't miss the great news from Coach, of course! Congratulations again :]

I am exhausted so I am heading back to bed. I haven't slept well for a week or so, I could really use a good night's sleep. My stomach has been iffy for the past couple of days so I think once that goes away I will sleep better. We have really been having the wacky weather here. Six inches of snow, then it warmed up to almost 70 degrees today, and then tons and tons of rain. It's crazy! Tomorrow we're supposed to get snow and another 3 inches this weekend. I think I'll be taking vitamins to avoid getting sick!

I am going to try my best to catch up tomorrow since I have a day off. I hope you are all well and healthy. Praying for you and your families, as usual! Good night!!
Good to see you and I hope you get better soon!!!
Originally Posted by gabulldawg View Post
Good Thursday morning everyone! it's my last day at work until next weds as I am taking a few days off to go snow skiing at Canaan valley Wv. They are expecting snowfall all weekend. We are leaving first thing Friday morning so should be there Friday night. I will miss wife and kids and this is my first time away from them since they were born. It will be fun to have some guy time though with my buddies I guess. I will probably be on the slopes until late sunday since they have night skiing and will miss superbowl but have dvr'd it mostly for commercials.lol My teams are not playing sadly. I miss everyone here and I vow to visit more when I get back from Utah the following weekend in feb. as this place really keeps my spirit up especially this time of year! Have a great weekend everyone and enjoy those chicken wings on sunday!!!!
Good to see you! Have an awesome time!!!
Originally Posted by Crown 84 View Post
Another nice warm one yesterday but it was rainy and quite windy in the evening as a line of severe weather passed by, the same one which created the tornadoes earlier in the day to the west. (No damage for us.)
It is 47 degrees here right now and should be cooler than yesterday (albeit not as cold as tomorrow will be)!

You have a Thrilling Thursday and an Exciting Eve Anticipation, Everyone!
Now that your temps are warm, we got all the cold stuff! We always have a crazy winter! We were under a tornado watch a couple of days ago. I am glad you are safe!

I am still trying to come up with something clever for Carl to say that you requested awhile back, my brain is not working!
Originally Posted by brent View Post

Last night was relatively quiet. The gym was fun, as usual. The only real frustrating part right now is having to run 40 minutes for rehabilitating my knee. I've gotten over the fact that I cannot powerlift just yet, but 40 minutes on a treadmill isn't the greatest of times. It is all for a good cause, however. I can't wait to finally be medically cleared for high impact activities. The good news is that there is an end in sight. It can't be any later than the end of February. We'll see after my appointment next Thursday.
I just might get back to the gym today. I am hoping by posting this that I HAVE to go since I said I would! I hope you heal completely!

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (01-31-2013), Christmasstar (01-31-2013), made582 (01-31-2013), mgramsey (01-31-2013), Seawaters (01-31-2013), snowflake22 (01-31-2013), xmas365 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Mgramsey, Happy Birthday to your dad!!!!!!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (01-31-2013), caninemom3 (01-31-2013), Christmasstar (01-31-2013), mgramsey (01-31-2013), Seawaters (01-31-2013), snowflake22 (01-31-2013), xmas365 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,150 Times in 12,623 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint

yesterday it was 15c (59f), windows open enjoying spring like weater...

today woke to -6c (21f), strong winds and a bit of blowing snow!!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (01-31-2013), caninemom3 (01-31-2013), made582 (01-31-2013), Seawaters (01-31-2013), snowflake22 (01-31-2013), xmas365 (01-31-2013)