Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Archives > Hall of Fame » Christmas Countdown - 2013

Hall of Fame Over the years we have had many memorable discussions and events. Archived here are closed discussions we like to look back on from Christmas past.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,451
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,178)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
It Ain't About A Bird
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:25 PM
46,382 Views  0 Posts
Little Girl's Christmas:...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 07:55 PM
53,954 Views  0 Posts
Seeing Christmas...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:16 PM
50,006 Views  0 Posts
Santa Speaks 2002
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 10:57 PM
35,677 Views  0 Posts
"Christmas Every Day"...
By MerryCarey
10-28-2011 02:23 PM
65,911 Views  0 Posts

Old 02-16-2013, 02:24 PM
*Harlowe's Mom*

Last Achievements

Thanked 82,763 Times in 13,950 Posts
snowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by made582 View Post
She said her arm is hurting more today but she has also been forcing her self to use it more than the last couple of days. I also think she is walking a little better. She's lifting her foot up now instead of just kind of shuffling it along.
Glad she is walking better today. Hope her arm feels better soon. She is in my prayers!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 11,487 Times in 1,965 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Tell me more! Where did you read this on the Internet? I hadn't heard of any new restoration effort on this film, but if one is happening, I'd love to know more about it.

Short background: This film fell into the public domain---i.e., the copyright expired, so anyone is free to copy it and sell it. Because of its PD status, most of the video copies you see are from poorly printed dupe prints, or damaged/abused/worn prints, or incomplete prints (the film was reissued in a cut-down version). I can tell you what an original quality print looks like---we're lucky enough to own a vintage 16mm print that was struck only a year after the film was released and is in very good condition for its age. The image quality is SO much better than most videos.

If you want the best-quality DVD version available, get this one.

It was produced by a company that had access to the original 35mm film elements, and is complete---NOT the cut-down reissue.

Many viewers don't care for the Hicks version of "Scrooge" because of his "stagy" portrayal. But consider that he played the role onstage, in a silent film, on radio, and in a talking film, and was England's favorite Scrooge for decades. We're lucky his interpretation was recorded for posterity, even if it appears "over the top" by today's standards. It's a window on Christmas history---a living relic of Christmas past. If the original elements are now being repaired and restored---Hallelujah! I guess you can tell I'm very much in favor of film restoration.

Here's a sad-but-true bit of trivia: Well over half of all films made before 1950 have been lost forever due to decomposition. Many films awaiting restoration will decompose before money is available to save them.

This is some of the info I found about it. After re-reading it, they write about re-mastering the movie and restoring it to it's origional length. That's where I believe I fell into the blah, blah, blah...

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/dis...cy.php?ID=4091

http://movieclassics.wordpress.com/2.../scrooge-1935/

Now I don't think that it was truely restored and protected like it should be. That's a terrible shame. Especially now knowing that little fact that you have shared. People just don't realize just how much history is being lost due to time... Now, the movie itself, not what I expected to see being it, was the movie scrooge. Totally different but, because of so, it kept me engrossed watching it....I now have to watch it again, it kinda grows on you!

The Bell Still Rings for me,
as it does for all who truly Believe!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-16-2013), Christmasstar (02-16-2013), Seawaters (02-16-2013), snowflake22 (02-16-2013), xmas365 (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,366 Times in 12,635 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
See, Xmas Tidings, I told you MC would be able to help! She is so darn smart!

Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Tell me more! Where did you read this on the Internet? I hadn't heard of any new restoration effort on this film, but if one is happening, I'd love to know more about it.

Short background: This film fell into the public domain---i.e., the copyright expired, so anyone is free to copy it and sell it. Because of its PD status, most of the video copies you see are from poorly printed dupe prints, or damaged/abused/worn prints, or incomplete prints (the film was reissued in a cut-down version). I can tell you what an original quality print looks like---we're lucky enough to own a vintage 16mm print that was struck only a year after the film was released and is in very good condition for its age. The image quality is SO much better than most videos.

If you want the best-quality DVD version available, get this one.

It was produced by a company that had access to the original 35mm film elements, and is complete---NOT the cut-down reissue.

Many viewers don't care for the Hicks version of "Scrooge" because of his "stagy" portrayal. But consider that he played the role onstage, in a silent film, on radio, and in a talking film, and was England's favorite Scrooge for decades. We're lucky his interpretation was recorded for posterity, even if it appears "over the top" by today's standards. It's a window on Christmas history---a living relic of Christmas past. If the original elements are now being repaired and restored---Hallelujah! I guess you can tell I'm very much in favor of film restoration.

Here's a sad-but-true bit of trivia: Well over half of all films made before 1950 have been lost forever due to decomposition. Many films awaiting restoration will decompose before money is available to save them.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:55 PM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,448 Times in 9,243 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

Originally Posted by xmastidings View Post
This is some of the info I found about it. After re-reading it, they write about re-mastering the movie and restoring it to it's origional length. That's where I believe I fell into the blah, blah, blah...

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/dis...cy.php?ID=4091

http://movieclassics.wordpress.com/2.../scrooge-1935/

Now I don't think that it was truely restored and protected like it should be. That's a terrible shame. Especially now knowing that little fact that you have shared. People just don't realize just how much history is being lost due to time... Now, the movie itself, not what I expected to see being it, was the movie scrooge. Totally different but, because of so, it kept me engrossed watching it....I now have to watch it again, it kinda grows on you!

I personally really like the Hicks version. To me, it is classic !

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-16-2013), MerryCarey (02-16-2013), Seawaters (02-16-2013), snowflake22 (02-16-2013), xmas365 (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,680 Times in 881 Posts
momnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companion
Originally Posted by caninemom3 View Post
Good afternoon Christmas family

I had a lovely lunch with a dear friend I haven't seen for probably about two years. Now, however, I am not feeling well. I think there must have been red meat products in my food because since I haven't eaten meat for over 20 years it makes me very ill if I get any meat products. I read if a person stops eating meat for a long time that the body stops producing the means to digest it. I definitely have all the symptoms of having gotten some meat products. Sure hope I get over this so...I really am quite sick.....
Oh my goodness~ feel better dear!
Try some ginger tea if you have it. It always helps me when my tummy feels lousy.
Take care now.

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.”
Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to momnan30 For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-16-2013), Christmasstar (02-16-2013), Seawaters (02-16-2013), snowflake22 (02-16-2013), xmas365 (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 05:37 PM

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,366 Times in 12,635 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
My sister and niece-in-law posted a snow pic on FB. Then my sister just had to tease me about snow cream!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:06 PM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,448 Times in 9,243 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

Originally Posted by momnan30 View Post
Oh my goodness~ feel better dear!
Try some ginger tea if you have it. It always helps me when my tummy feels lousy.
Take care now.

Thank you, Momnan, you are so sweet. I will try the tea xo

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-16-2013), Seawaters (02-16-2013), snowflake22 (02-16-2013), xmas365 (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,257 Times in 12,642 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
they look very good!
Originally Posted by jennifer91 View Post
Look what arrived!

Chocolate Coconut

Key Lime

Mint Cookies & Creme

Well, I'll be gaining some weight from my cupcake indulgences!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-16-2013), Seawaters (02-16-2013), snowflake22 (02-16-2013), xmas365 (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 06:52 PM

Last Achievements

Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by made582 View Post
She said her arm is hurting more today but she has also been forcing her self to use it more than the last couple of days. I also think she is walking a little better. She's lifting her foot up now instead of just kind of shuffling it along.
that is great news, it is those with the most determination to get better that do the best.
Will keep praying for her
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-16-2013), Seawaters (02-16-2013), xmas365 (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 07:00 PM

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by caninemom3 View Post
Good afternoon Christmas family

I had a lovely lunch with a dear friend I haven't seen for probably about two years. Now, however, I am not feeling well. I think there must have been red meat products in my food because since I haven't eaten meat for over 20 years it makes me very ill if I get any meat products. I read if a person stops eating meat for a long time that the body stops producing the means to digest it. I definitely have all the symptoms of having gotten some meat products. Sure hope I get over this so...I really am quite sick.....
yuck! I get that way when I accidentally eat vegetables.
Have to watch everything people try to feed you!

Hope you feel better quick my friend!

Last edited by Christmasstar; 02-16-2013 at 07:02 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-16-2013), Christmas-A-Holic (02-17-2013), Ryan (02-18-2013), Seawaters (02-16-2013), snowflake22 (02-16-2013), xmas365 (02-16-2013)