Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » Answers please

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,090
Threads: 53,931
Top Poster: xmas365 (165,812)
Welcome to our newest member, flockman02

Old 09-14-2007, 06:51 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
Originally Posted by Billy Battles View Post
My Favorite part is when the little brother is under the sink crying and says "daddies going to kill Ralphie". I laugh every time I don't know why.
My favorite part is when his tongue got stuck on the frozen pole. It makes me laugh just to think about it.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:54 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,251 Times in 2,295 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
Believe it or not, what makes A Christmas Story a masterpiece isn't so much the story -- the story itself is simplistic. But the writing is superb and the storytelling is masterful. It never fails to make me laugh when I hear the line where the narrator is talking about how his father would swear: "My father weaved a tapestry of profanity that is still hanging out there somewhere over Lake Michigan". Marvelous writing.

Remember the part where he is helping his old man change the tire? "I said fudge, but I didn't say fudge. I said the f-dash dash dash word, the Queen Mother of all swear words".

Wish I could write like that!

Head Elf, Jeff is right on the money with this one! "The Christmas Story" was taken from a couple of short stories brilliantly crafted by Jean Shepherd. Now we can listen to the author read his work on his WOR radio show a full nine years before the movie!

Try to forget the movie scenes and supply your own as you listen. Good as the movie version is, Shepherd's past annual reading really brings to life the intent of his work. You really owe it to yourself to listen to these! I've burned them to a CD to listen in the car during the Christmas season as I drive to work.

http://www.maskmusic.com/other_music.html Scroll down to bullets 14 & 15 (third and fourth from bottom) to see:

December 24, 1971 - Earliest Christmas WOR Jean Shepherd (mp3) - (10.65 MB)

December 24, 1974 - edit - Red Ryder WOR Jean Shepherd (mp3) - (9.34 MB)

Perhaps we can obtain the rights to play these on Merry Christmas Radio, eh Jeff?; perhaps make it a Christmas Eve tradition like the original reading.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:19 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,251 Times in 2,295 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
From the "Where Have I Seen Or Heard This Before?" Department: http://www.mymerrychristmas.com/foru...67&postcount=8
Old 09-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

Montana's Santa has shown a merry dispositionMontana's Santa has shown a merry dispositionMontana's Santa has shown a merry dispositionMontana's Santa has shown a merry disposition
santahat A quick synopsis

In the movie, a family's Christmas dinner is ruined and they end up going to a Chinese restaurant for Christmas dinner -- apparently the only place open. They end up being served a roast duck, with its head on and being serenaded by a Chinese staff which sings, "Deck the harrs with boughs of horry, fa ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra..." Although I am not pleased with the depiction of me, it is a riot of a movie... and you won't put your eye out watching it. Definitely destined to be a Christmas classic.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:34 PM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,430 Times in 817 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Montana's Santa - I'm glad you mentioned the "mean Santa". I didn't like the movie the first time I saw it because I thought they were making Santa out to be "mean and grumpy" and I didn't like that.

I saw it a couple of years later, loved it. Laughed at several lines and scenes. I manage to catch it during the marathon runs each year.

It's really funny.

I wouldn't go to a re-make of it though.

The only Chrismtas movie re-makes I enjoyed were based on A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:12 PM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by AuntieMistletoeDear View Post
Montana's Santa - I'm glad you mentioned the "mean Santa". I didn't like the movie the first time I saw it because I thought they were making Santa out to be "mean and grumpy" and I didn't like that.

I saw it a couple of years later, loved it. Laughed at several lines and scenes. I manage to catch it during the marathon runs each year.

It's really funny.

I wouldn't go to a re-make of it though.

The only Chrismtas movie re-makes I enjoyed were based on A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.
i think thats the great thing about christmas carol, you can have so many different versions & theyre all pretty good.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

TwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnog
This is a GREAT movie! I have it on DVD. The two-disc special edition. You must see it!!!!!!!! Here's something from the back of the holder boxish thingy the DVD case is in:

'The Christmas spirit isn't served up with more observant hilarity than in this beloved adaption of Jean Shepher's holiday story. In 1940s Indiana, nine-year-old Ralphie (Peter Billingsley) dreams of his ideal Christmas gift: a genuine Red Ryder 200-shot Carbine Action Air Rifle. But when gruff dad (Darren McGavin) and doting mom (Melinda Dillon) regularly respond with "You'll shoot your eye out!" Ralphie mounts a full-scale Santa-begging campaign. He encounters a slew of calamities from snowsuit paralysis to the dreaded tongue-on-a-frozen-flagpole gambit. We triple-dog-dare you to unwrap a more welcome Yuletide classic!'
Old 09-20-2007, 06:35 AM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker

Amanda Elf has shown a merry dispositionAmanda Elf has shown a merry disposition
Is this the one with the leg lamp..I've started to watch it twice and have never got past the lamp part...never really got into it. I always heard it was a good movie..maybe this year I'll make a point of sitting thru the whole thing.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 23,386 Times in 3,783 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Amanda Elf View Post
Is this the one with the leg lamp..I've started to watch it twice and have never got past the lamp part...never really got into it. I always heard it was a good movie..maybe this year I'll make a point of sitting thru the whole thing.
Yep, this is the one!! You really should watch the whole thing - cute movie!!!
Old 09-20-2007, 02:41 PM
MMC Forummaster & Tech Elf

dominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companion
You guys who haven't seen it or don't like it are sick.