Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,094
Threads: 53,940
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,031)
Welcome to our newest member, RMcGuigan

Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,605 Times in 5,982 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Okay, here's Bill and Myrna on the wall above my piano:

These are smaller than one-sheets, printed on cardboard-like stock. Theaters used to frame these and hang them on the walls of the lobby to promote M-G-M's stars.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (03-03-2013), mgramsey (03-04-2013), Ryan (03-04-2013)

Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Speaking of OTR comedians, not part of a team, but I did buy Fred Allen's movie "Its in the Bag" on Blu-ray last week, but have not had a chance to watch it. Have you seen it? Is it any good?
Finally getting back to you on this ...
Mr. has seen it and says it's a pretty good movie. The plot concerns an inheritance hidden in the stuffing of a chair, and various people get wind of the hidden fortune and try to get ahold of the chair. The catch is that the chair is one of a set, and there's no way of knowing which is the right chair until it's ripped open. Various actors have cameos, like Jack Benny.

Funny, but we saw a British comedy from the 1930s a few weeks ago with the same plot: "Keep Your Seats, Please." It starred George Formby, and Alastair Sim played a slimy lawyer trying to find the chair before George did. Sim was very funny ... this was about 15 years before he played Scrooge.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (03-03-2013), Ryan (03-04-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 09:01 AM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,501 Times in 9,289 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post

These are smaller than one-sheets, printed on cardboard-like stock. Theaters used to frame these and hang them on the walls of the lobby to promote M-G-M's stars.
These are beautiful pictures !!!

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (03-03-2013), Ryan (04-16-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by caninemom3 View Post
These are beautiful pictures !!!
M-G-M always showed their stars as beautifully as possible! And yet, these were considered disposable back in the day.

The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
mgramsey (03-04-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,042 Times in 375 Posts
Yuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elf
Mr. surprised me by showing me a 1940s Western movie (I think it was "Singing on the Trail") with a good-looking singing cowboy played by ... Ken Curtis! I couldn't believe that that clean-cut young cowboy was the same actor as frowzy ol' Festis!
"B" westerns went bye-bye, & a Hollywood cowpoke had to make a living somehow. He did OK for himself, dontcha think?
Old 03-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,042 Times in 375 Posts
Yuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elf
"Hollywood" was a fabulous 13-part series about American silent films, from their evolution to the dawn of sound. It was produced by Kevin Brownlow and David Gill in 1980 for Thames Television in England. A few years later it aired on many PBS stations in the U.S. It's fascinating, because much of the story is told through vintage film clips and interviews with the actors, actresses, directors, crew members, etc. who were actually there. I can't tell you how many times I've watched it. It never gets old.

It was released on VHS (and on laserdisc, I think), but never on DVD. I got my hands on the VHS set and I'm never letting go. Wish they would do a DVD/Blu-ray release.
I haven't seen the series (DRAT!), but given the subject matter Blue-ray may be out of the question. The process requires very clean source material. DVD, please?!?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Yuletide Junkie View Post
"B" westerns went bye-bye, & a Hollywood cowpoke had to make a living somehow. He did OK for himself, dontcha think?
Yep, he darn shore did!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Yuletide Junkie View Post
I haven't seen the series (DRAT!), but given the subject matter Blue-ray may be out of the question. The process requires very clean source material. DVD, please?!?
The series was originally produced on film, and the film clips used were from archives, so as long as the original series film elements exist, I don't see any obstacle to releasing it on either DVD or Blu-ray. But seeing as how the series is over 30 years old, the powers-that-be probably believe there's no market for it. "Unknown Chaplin" was released on DVD, but not "Buster Keaton: A Hard Act to Follow," by the same production team. I'm not sure about "Harold Lloyd: The Third Genius." Thank heaven, I also have the Keaton one on VHS.

I've never yet seen Blu-ray---we still have an analog TV!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 21,520 Times in 2,974 Posts
Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint

Thanks so much! I love it and really appreciate you sharing this!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 21,520 Times in 2,974 Posts
Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Just a quick note since we were talking about the Marx Brothers last week: A Day at the Races and A Night In Casablanca will be on TCM early Wednesday morning (2:30 and 4:30, Central Time).

I don't know if I've seen Races, so I may need to DVR this one. Casablanca was one of their lesser efforts in my opinion, but still Marx Brothers.