Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,125
Threads: 54,224
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,332)
Welcome to our newest member, AMcLoud

Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 AM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
this one has Lust for life, The Bad & the Beautiful, Young man with a horn & before I forget which was the selling point for me.
Before I forget is basically him on stage talking about his career. Cant wait to watch
mgramsey (03-07-2013), Ryan (03-05-2013)

Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 39,171 Times in 6,085 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I need to check that book out. In the mean time, yesterday I did order a cope of "Laurel and Hardy: The Magic Behind the Movies" by Randy Skretvedt. Randy was a guest on the Commentary Track and I've been wanting to read his book ever since. Have you read it? Is it as good as I hear?
If you already know your basic Laurel & Hardy, it's a good book. As I remember it, it tends to focus on the backstory of things that were not included in the movies. And he is a hater of the post-Hal Roach films, so he gives you a very biased picture of them. (He may have modified his opinion in the current edition---I read the first edition---but he used to be VERY vitriolic about the later films.) Mr.'s favorite book about Laurel & Hardy is William K. Everson's "The Complete Films of Laurel & Hardy."

IMHO, the best introduction to Laurel & Hardy, if you don't know much about their films and career already, is the chapter about them in Leonard Maltin's "Movie Comedy Teams." I got that book when I was 12 and cut my teeth on it, film-history-wise. The entire book is a great read. It introduced me to Wheeler & Woolsey, the Ritz Brothers, and Clark & McCullough, among others.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
mgramsey (03-07-2013), Ryan (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,062 Times in 383 Posts
Yuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elf
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
If you already know your basic Laurel & Hardy, it's a good book. As I remember it, it tends to focus on the backstory of things that were not included in the movies. And he is a hater of the post-Hal Roach films, so he gives you a very biased picture of them. (He may have modified his opinion in the current edition---I read the first edition---but he used to be VERY vitriolic about the later films.) Mr.'s favorite book about Laurel & Hardy is William K. Everson's "The Complete Films of Laurel & Hardy."

IMHO, the best introduction to Laurel & Hardy, if you don't know much about their films and career already, is the chapter about them in Leonard Maltin's "Movie Comedy Teams." I got that book when I was 12 and cut my teeth on it, film-history-wise. The entire book is a great read. It introduced me to Wheeler & Woolsey, the Ritz Brothers, and Clark & McCullough, among others.
I cut my teeth on the McCabe book at age 10. While it is true he beats the latter films up, it is still a worthwhile read. Especially if you are starting your Laurel & Hardy studies. Plus the picture of them sitting on a girder high over Los Angeles is terrific.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 21,791 Times in 3,029 Posts
Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint

I need to get a hold of the Leonard Maltin book. He seems like a great guy and I enjoy his work! I asked Frank Thompson once during an email exchange if Maltin is as nice in person as he comes across on television. He told me he has known him for years and that's he's the real deal. I need to find this book! I don't know about the Ritz Brothers ore Clark and McCullough.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Yuletide Junkie View Post
I cut my teeth on the McCabe book at age 10. While it is true he beats the latter films up, it is still a worthwhile read. Especially if you are starting your Laurel & Hardy studies. Plus the picture of them sitting on a girder high over Los Angeles is terrific.
Yes, that's a good basic book, too. John McCabe was a friend of Stan Laurel's and a founding member of the Sons of the Desert, and remained involved with the group until his death. In later years, he married Rosina Lawrence, the ingenue in "Way Out West."

Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I need to get a hold of the Leonard Maltin book. He seems like a great guy and I enjoy his work! I asked Frank Thompson once during an email exchange if Maltin is as nice in person as he comes across on television. He told me he has known him for years and that's he's the real deal. I need to find this book! I don't know about the Ritz Brothers ore Clark and McCullough.
Back in the '90s I wrote a letter to Maltin thanking him for his film books, as they got me started on a lifetime love of film history. A year later I got a response explaining that he rediscovered my letter while cleaning off his desk, and was just getting around to answering it! Mr. and I have seen him at Cinefest a couple times, but he didn't seem inclined to talk. But his books certainly reveal his enthusiasm for his subject, and are very readable. Too many books about film---ESPECIALLY those about Buster Keaton, for some reason---are full of pseudo-academic gobbledygook (i.e., B.S.), personal opinion, and theory rather than research.

The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Fyi

FYI...here's the description of this week's Commentary Track:

Silent comedy maven Richard M. Roberts is my guest on this week's Commentary Track podcast. We talk about the Hal Roach style, what's coming up at Slapsticon and much, much more.

I thought some of you may be interested in this episode. Can't wait to listen.
MerryCarey (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Along those lines---here's info about this year's Cinefest in Liverpool, NY from March 14 - 17. Can't go this year because of other commitments, but it's great fun for vintage film fans. Movies from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. (except: 3:45 p.m. on Sunday), including rare prints from MoMA, Eastman House, the Library of Congress, the UCLA Film Archives, and dozens of collectors.

The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Along those lines---here's info about this year's Cinefest in Liverpool, NY from March 14 - 17. Can't go this year because of other commitments, but it's great fun for vintage film fans. Movies from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. (except: 3:45 p.m. on Sunday), including rare prints from MoMA, Eastman House, the Library of Congress, the UCLA Film Archives, and dozens of collectors.
Man, I want to go one day! I didn't know about it until you mentioned it. I have something to add to the list! Thanks!
MerryCarey (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Haven't been to these, but there's also:

Capitolfest in Rome, NY---August 9 - 11

Cinecon in Hollywood, CA---Auugst 29 - September 2

Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

I am about to start one of my two last classes of my undergraduate career, and one of them is a class on Film Noir (I know, itís a senior ďblow-offĒ class, should be very breezy). But, I just looked at some of the films I need to watch and there are some good ones on the list! Double Indemnity is a requirement, and Iíve actually never seen this movie. Iím looking forward to it. Sunset Boulevard is also on the list. Iíve seen it but it has been at least fifteen years. I actually have it on DVD but have not watched that copy yet, so Iím looking forward to seeing it again. The Maltese Falcon and The Third Man are required viewing as well. Iíve seen Falcon and enjoy it, but have never seen The Third Man. Beyond this, some late Noir such as Point Blank with Lee Marvin are required, and I love that movie! Itís very unique, but one of my favorites. Chinatown is required as well, and Iím not looking forward to it. Iíve always wanted to see it and want to like it, but I canít separate it from Roman Polanski, who I find myself wanting to punch in the face. But, it may still be a good movie.
AlrightÖjust thought Iíd pass it along. Have any of you seen any of these pictures? If so, what do you think?
mgramsey (03-07-2013)