Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Home & Family » Need advise for the fear of flying

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,440
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
22 16x16 Hot Cocoa or Hot...
By Meceka
10-09-2011 10:58 PM
Last post by Riccardo Vasquez
04-04-2014 01:38 AM
3 Posts
Christmas Tree The Evolution of...
By MMC Editor
10-10-2011 12:10 AM
66,140 Views  0 Posts
Lower Your Thanksgiving...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:48 PM
49,921 Views  0 Posts
Somewhere in France
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:14 PM
50,309 Views  0 Posts
My Christmas of 1947
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 08:58 PM
45,083 Views  0 Posts

Old 04-18-2013, 03:13 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Funny you mention sleep, made. I have a Dickens of a time staying awake on a plane. Even a one-hour flight makes me drowsy for some reason.

My wife is just the opposite, and this is why I say we have to be careful in judging what people go through. She is a high anxiety flyer, too. She couldn't sleep on a plane if her life depended on it. I asked her how she gets through it and she said she practices -- believe it or not -- breathing exercises she learned when she was pregnant.

Once she calms things down to a decent level she will try to read or listen to music or something to keep herself occupied.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), made582 (04-18-2013), Seawaters (04-18-2013), snowflake22 (04-18-2013), xmastidings (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 11,479 Times in 1,963 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
Thank you everyone that has posted to me here. Here's the whole scoop; my wife, (I love her, but she's killing me here with this issue) does not want to sit in a minivan for 25 hours while we drive from Baltimore maryland to San Antonio Texas (who would blame her???). In reality, I love to drive....

The reason is, is that when my son graduates from bootcamp (Air Force) in June, she wants to be there, I do as well, but, I have a fear of heights and I don't like the way the planes jump all over the place (turbulance and such) so that is why I don't want to fly. I offered to rent an RV and she said no. I checked into a train to there and it's a 52 hour trip. The train would leave from Baltimore, travel to Washington DC, then to Chicago, Ill and then finially to San Antonio Texas (that's like going around the barn instead of going thru it)...So, of course, that's out of the question.

So here I am now stuck with the decision of having to either just stay at home and miss my sons graduation or fly. So, I going to have to fly and I'm already dreading it.....

I went on-line to read what other people have to say and they're all over the map with various ideas, drugs, alcohol, etc... I really don't want to take something where I'm going to be loopy for 8 hours nor take something that does nothing for me at all. I mean the last time I flew, I thought I was going to loose my cookies, stain my britches and have a heart attack all at once; it wasn't a good picture. So, I'm trying to avoid any repeat of such a sight...

The Bell Still Rings for me,
as it does for all who truly Believe!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), Seawaters (04-18-2013), snowflake22 (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
Your wife can't know that you're this terrified or why would she book you on a 3-4 hour flight??? Is it something you've managed to keep to yourself??
Nah, she knows! We flew to the islands 15 years ago and I about embarassed her big time with my reactions to every bump and such on the plane... it's one of these situations where I'm faced with either flying, driving for 25 hours, sitting on a train for 52 hours or stay at home! So with my wife, daughter and In-laws all going, I would be the only one that would be left home and I would then miss my sons graduation from the Air Force bootcamp, which I do not want to miss.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,474 Times in 9,043 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Train is one of my favorite ways to travel, if you have time for it. Quite an adventure. I have traveled on it from San Antonio to Chicago and coast to coast. If you get a sleeping car it's a blast because you have your own little place to hang out and rest instead of being in the crowded coach area. I have stayed on it for 2 nights and 3 days the longest in one stretch. I still was not ready to get off the train, so much to see! Not too convenient if you are in a hurry but something to think about if want a fun travel and I advise a sleeping car so you can have a bed to sleep in, shower (don't get that in coach) and free meals in the dining car.

I know that flying will probably be your only option and if so, I hope you do well! I understand that the train might be a bit too long on a tight schedule.

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), Seawaters (04-18-2013), snowflake22 (04-18-2013), xmastidings (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
Train is one of my favorite ways to travel, if you have time for it. Quite an adventure. I have traveled on it from San Antonio to Chicago and coast to coast. If you get a sleeping car it's a blast because you have your own little place to hang out and rest instead of being in the crowded coach area. I have stayed on it for 2 nights and 3 days the longest in one stretch. I still was not ready to get off the train, so much to see! Not too convenient if you are in a hurry but something to think about if want a fun travel and I advise a sleeping car so you can have a bed to sleep in, shower (don't get that in coach) and free meals in the dining car.

I know that flying will probably be your only option and if so, I hope you do well! I understand that the train might be a bit too long on a tight schedule.
Oh, I would just love to travel on a train from coast to coast and see the country... In this instance, were going to be in somewhat of a tight schedule because I will be running out of vacation time by then. So, by default, I have to keep the trip as short as I can possibly keep it.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 PM
*Harlowe's Mom*

Last Achievements

Thanked 82,457 Times in 13,897 Posts
snowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Candygold

I wish I had some real advice to give you, friend.

But, the only thing I can think of is to make yourself as comfortable as possible- have your favorite Christmas movies along to watch & try to keep your mind off of things.

Listen to an audio book or your favorite music through headphones, will drown out noises that may unnerve you.

Take non-drowsy dramamine & have some peppermint candy
to calm your stomach.

Thinking of you!!

xx
Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,341 Times in 12,630 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I am right there with you, XmasTidings. I get nauseous, diarrhea, sweats, pounding heart--you name it, I get it. I would also be in tears from all the fear. My doctor prescribed Atavan that I take the evening before the flight and then about 30 minutes to an hour before boarding the plane. If I become super anxious, I will take another one during the flight, especially if it is a long one and/or if we have to land and take off several times. I also take one after we land. I do the same for the return trip. I do not care if anyone laughs or poo-poos this, but that is how I deal with it. I would suggest you get a DVD player and/or CD player and watch a movie or listen to music, using the headphones. This helps with the changes in engine noises. Also, sitting close to the cockpit helps, too.

Originally Posted by xmastidings View Post
I am in need of some advise and help. I have a profound fear of flying which causes me to have a panic attack when I get on an airplane (I do not like heights). I go on-line and read alot of blah-blah-blah, (at least that's what it appears to me). My wife hit me with a bomb shell last night that we are now flying San Antonio Texas and I'm scared to death of getting on an airplane.

Is there anything recommended (from your past experiences) or advise that you can offer to me and that I could share with my doctor that I can take, do, etc... that will help me out with being on a 3-4 hour flight? And, fyi, I do not drink any alcohol any longer.

I am at a loss here but I do plan to call my doctor to see if there is anything he can prescribe to help me with this task that I have to face...

Thank you~
Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,341 Times in 12,630 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Redkaga, would you send me the same PM? I, too, am deathly afraid of flying.

Originally Posted by redkaga View Post
sent you a PM about this issue
Old 04-19-2013, 12:52 AM
Christmas Altair

Last Achievements

Thanked 20,030 Times in 2,877 Posts
shellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by trackrebel View Post
Jeff´s advise sounded quite well....listen to music, watch movies, play games....stuff like this....and yes...try the doctor and ask him if there is anything he can prescribe
Originally Posted by xmastidings View Post
Nah, she knows! We flew to the islands 15 years ago and I about embarassed her big time with my reactions to every bump and such on the plane... it's one of these situations where I'm faced with either flying, driving for 25 hours, sitting on a train for 52 hours or stay at home! So with my wife, daughter and In-laws all going, I would be the only one that would be left home and I would then miss my sons graduation from the Air Force bootcamp, which I do not want to miss.
I hAVE tryed everything mentioned there . music, films sleeping tablets, you name it i have tryed it. and yes like someone has said on here i have embrassied myslef holding on to the seats as if that was gonna help..
once for my birthday 2 tickets was booked for new york at christmas and i swore i was going. i got to airport got though the boarding gate, got out to where the plane was and ...... end of i froze i could not do it. but my parther understood and now he knows never mention a plane again.
am like you xmas i wood love to be able to get on a plane

Is there no way yo and the mrs could drive make a break of it. stay over night somewhere in between have a little holiday to yoursleves, for your be a nervious wreck before ,and during the whole thing
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), Seawaters (04-19-2013), snowflake22 (04-19-2013), xmastidings (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 03:26 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,403 Times in 1,734 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Okay - this may seem a little off the wall, but at work, we broadcast our weddings and citizenship ceremonies on UStream. If you find you are unable to overcome your fear and you can't persuade your wife to take a roadtrip, why not get someone to film it as it's taking place and you can watch it live on the internet?? If there's WiFi, or even if you get a dongle, they can connect to the internet and stream it for you. Even Skype. iPads are really handy for this!!!!! Even smartphones or your basic laptop

I've actually done weddings where it's been 2-way and the friends and relatives in Australia, the Maldives etc. have done readings for the wedding in Scotland and everybody could see and hear everybody else. The worst that happened was there was a 2-minute time delay. Even my son's college graduation in June is being streamed live.

It's not perfect but it's a solution if you can't get round your fear.

Last edited by Maureen; 04-19-2013 at 03:28 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maureen For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), snowflake22 (04-19-2013), xmastidings (04-19-2013)