Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Home & Family » St. Nikolaus when I was little

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,971
Threads: 53,430
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,376)
Welcome to our newest member, BelenikovaRord
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
“There Was a Boy Who...
By MerryCarey
10-26-2011 11:22 AM
54,215 Views  0 Posts
Are You a Spug?
By MerryCarey
07-25-2011 09:08 AM
Last post by lauriebear
08-15-2011 12:09 PM
53,078 Views  7 Posts
Fred Claus (Movie Review)
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 08:47 PM
53,400 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Cards
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:21 PM
50,888 Views  0 Posts
Bells The Legends of Nature at...
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:54 PM
80,791 Views  0 Posts

Old 11-17-2013, 02:25 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 15,945 Times in 3,673 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
St. Nikolaus when I was little

Hi everyone,

since Christmas is coming closer and closer I thought I ´d share a cute story about how St. Nikolaus always was done.

At my parents house, St. Nikolaus would always come in the night from the 5th to the 6th of December.....when we woke up, we´d storm downstairs to see what St. Nikolaus brought for us.....we´d check out Stockings or boots or shoes and the small present....eat some of the fruits and candy he brought and unwrap our small gift (most families keep the presents little or at least cheap for St. Nikolaus day.....since Christmas is coming soon and to not spoil em toooo much )........so as You see....our St. Nikolaus tradition is almost the same as the Christmas tradition in the States, UK, Australia and so on..............we´d go to school then....come home, do our homework and will be anxiously awaitng to leave for our grandparents.

Now comes the funny part......my brother and I, even tho regular children who needed to be scolded like every kid on the block.....were pretty harmless...haha.....our cousin Frank tho.....he was a ruffryder.....goodhearted but always in trouble......so at my grandma´s place St. Nikolaus would come to bring the presents......We were all lined up on the couch in Oma and Opas living room.....when St. Nik knocks on the door.........the second St. NIk my cousin Frank...who was 6 years older than I.....would always hide underneath the table, because he was fearing to get a good hiding with Nikolaus´s broom (as it is being told by the parents....the good kids get goodies.....the bad ones a spanking).......so up til he was 12 he would hide underneath the table....for no reason....since he always got his gifts and noone scolded him on that day!!!.....

I thought I´d share that with You....cos up to today it makes me smile thinking about those times

Happy Sunday everyone!!!!

ps....while I was writing this....Kandice has asked "Mama....who is called Everyone?".....hahaha

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (11-18-2013), GingerMel (12-01-2013), HollyJolly (12-01-2013), irishsnow (11-17-2013), joyful (11-18-2013), Meceka (11-17-2013), MerryBells (12-02-2013), Sabine (11-18-2013), sgrover (12-04-2013), snowflake22 (11-17-2013), Virginia (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,213 Times in 5,585 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I love this story! You made me smile! And I love hearing about the Christmas(time) traditions in other parts of the world.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
HollyJolly (12-01-2013), snowflake22 (11-17-2013), trackrebel (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 09:37 AM
MMC Associate Editor -- Christmas Foods

Last Achievements

Thanked 45,210 Times in 7,237 Posts
Meceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
That is a cute story, track!

There seems a magic in the very name of Christmas ~ Charles Dickens
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meceka For This Useful Post:
HollyJolly (12-01-2013), snowflake22 (11-17-2013), trackrebel (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 12:01 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
it is....because this boy ( he will be 40 next year) was so loud and naughty...and always had something smart to say....and yet...he was scared of Nikolaus all the time....every year!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
HollyJolly (12-01-2013), snowflake22 (11-17-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 04:48 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
and we had to learn poems about St. Niklas in school.

and one day around dec.6th a man dressed like St Nikolaus came to the school and every Kid has to say a part of a poem to show that the kid was good.

Poems like this (by Theodor Storm 1862)
(first here the English translation and than the German original)

From out the forest I now appear,
To proclaim that Christmastide is here!
For at the top of every tree
are golden lights for all to see;
and there from Heaven’s gate on high
I saw our Christ-child in the sky.

And in among the darkened trees,
a loud voice it was that called to me:
‘Knecht Ruprecht, old fellow,’ it cried,
‘hurry now, make haste, don’t hide!
All the candles have now been lit --
Heaven’s gate has opened wide!

Both young and old should now have rest
away from cares and daily stress;
and when tomorrow to earth I fly
“it’s Christmas again!” will be the cry.’

And then I said: ‘O Lord so dear.
My journey’s end is now quite near;
but to this town* I’ve still to go,
Where the children are good, I know.’

‘But have you then that great sack?’
‘I have,’ I said, ‘it’s on my back.
For apples, almonds, fruit and nuts
For God-fearing children are a must.’

‘And is that cane there by your side?’
‘The cane’s there too,’ I did reply;
but only for those, those naughty ones,
who have it applied to their backsides.’
The Christ-child spoke: ‘Then that’s all right!
My loyal servant, go with God this night!’

From out the forest I now appear;
To proclaim that Christmastide is here!
Now speak, what is there here to be had?
Are there good children, are there bad?

Von drauß' vom Wald komm ich her;
ich muss euch sagen, es weihnachtet sehr!
Allüberall auf den Tannenspitzen
sah ich goldene Lichtlein sitzen;
und droben aus dem Himmelstor
sah mit großen Augen das Christkind hervor.

Und wie ich so strolcht' durch den finstern Tann,
da rief's mich mit heller Stimme an:
"Knecht Ruprecht", rief es, "alter Gesell,
hebe die Beine und spute dich schnell!
Die Kerzen fangen zu brennen an,
das Himmelstor ist aufgetan.

Alt' und Junge sollen nun
von der Jagd des Lebens einmal ruhn;
und morgen flieg ich hinab zur Erden;
denn es soll wieder Weihnachten werden!"

Ich sprach: "O lieber Herre Christ,
meine Reise fast zu Ende ist;
ich soll nur noch in diese Stadt,
wo's eitel gute Kinder hat."

“Hast denn das Säcklein auch bei dir?"
Ich sprach: "Das Säcklein, das ist hier:
Denn Äpfel, Nuss und Mandelkern
essen fromme Kinder gern."

"Hast denn die Rute auch bei dir?"
Ich sprach: "Die Rute, die ist hier;
doch für die Kinder nur, die schlechten,
die trifft sie auf den Teil, den rechten.’
Christkindlein sprach: "So ist es recht!
So geh mit Gott, mein treuer Knecht!"

Von drauß' vom Walde komm ich her;
ich muss euch sagen, es weihnachtet sehr!
Nun sprecht, wie ich's hier drinnen find!
Sind's gute Kind sind's böse Kind?
GingerMel (12-01-2013), HollyJolly (12-01-2013), MerryBells (12-02-2013), snowflake22 (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 05:00 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

awesome....the Nikolaus Poem Klassik

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
HollyJolly (12-01-2013), snowflake22 (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 05:04 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

another classic German poem is

"Advent, Advent ein Lichtlein brennt!
erst eins,
dann zwei,
dann drei,
dann vier,
dann steht das Christkind vor der Tür!"

You translate it to

Advent, Advent, a light is burning
first one,
then two,
then three,
then four,
then Christkind´s standing at the door

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
HollyJolly (12-01-2013), MerryBells (12-02-2013), Sabine (11-18-2013), snowflake22 (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
my Mom raised up in a small Village with only 300 citizen in East Frisia in Northwest Germany.
The talked in Plattdeutsch, the language of East Frisia.

So they learned Plattdeutsch Poems like this

Wiehnachtsmann, kiek mi an
lüttje Deern/lüttjen Jung bün ick man,
veel to vertelln, heb ick nich,
Wiehnachtsmann, vergeet mi nich!

Thant means in englisch

Santa Claus look at me
just a little girl/bay I am
much to say, I havent got
Santa Claus please forget me not
GingerMel (12-01-2013), HollyJolly (12-01-2013), MerryBells (12-02-2013), snowflake22 (01-06-2014)
Old 12-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

HollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry disposition
When I was little (60s), we lived in Bremerhaven with a German family. I have the fondest of memories of my "adopted" Oma & Opa. Anyway, I do remember St Nikolaus being a VERY stern figure and I was always a little bit afraid of him even though he always gave us candy, fruit, and nuts. I'm going to have to see if photos still exist.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more. ---Theodor Seuss Geisel a.k.a. Dr. Seuss
The Following User Says Thank You to HollyJolly For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-06-2014)