Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » My beef with Christmas on the radio

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,971
Threads: 53,430
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,385)
Welcome to our newest member, BelenikovaRord
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Developing an Attitude...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:24 PM
45,128 Views  0 Posts
Gift 2 The Bog Ruby...
By Meceka
08-20-2011 10:33 AM
Last post by ibelieveinchristmas
10-11-2011 10:05 AM
1 Posts
How Santa Does It
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:19 PM
46,415 Views  0 Posts
The Holly and the Ivy
By MMC Editor
06-08-2008 09:25 PM
67,414 Views  0 Posts
Annual Survey of...
By MMC Editor
09-16-2013 08:19 AM
Last post by icetene33
10-21-2013 04:04 PM
19,279 Views  2 Posts

Old 11-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
My beef with Christmas on the radio

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy hearing Christmas music on terrestrial radio starting a few days after Halloween, but the station here in Columbus that begins playing Christmas music early has an atrociously small playlist that I find myself getting annoyed with it. I think there are a few songs that get played every single hour.

A couple days ago, it was the end of the hour, and they played Burl Ives' "Holly Jolly Christmas". They did traffic and weather at the top of the hour, and the next song up in the queue… you guessed it…Burl Ives' "Holly Jolly Christmas". Now this is obviously a an error on somebody's part, but it's easily done considering what a small rotation of music these stations have.

When they play wall-to-wall Christmas music for nearly two months, can't these stations add a little more variety? Maybe some lesser-played artists or deeper cuts from the artists they do play?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
caninemomssister (11-23-2013), christmasjingles (11-26-2013), Clark (12-04-2013), HollyJolly (12-01-2013), kgstyles (12-04-2013), Virginia (11-25-2013), Yuletide Junkie (11-26-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,887 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
That's why we're trying to do what we're doing at Kringle Radio. Not the same 50 songs, like most "temporary" Christmas radio stations.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
caninemomssister (11-23-2013), Christmasstar (12-04-2013), HollyJolly (12-01-2013), kgstyles (12-04-2013), Neotericisis (11-25-2013), RachRon (11-24-2013), RadioJonD (11-26-2013), redkaga (11-23-2013), Virginia (11-25-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
That's why we're trying to do what we're doing at Kringle Radio. Not the same 50 songs, like most "temporary" Christmas radio stations.
Agreed. Kringle Radio is preferred over Wi-Fi. Terrestrial radio is just for the car and when I don't have my ipod handy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (12-04-2013), HollyJolly (12-01-2013), RadioJonD (11-26-2013), Virginia (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

Classic Christmas is a good elfClassic Christmas is a good elfClassic Christmas is a good elfClassic Christmas is a good elfClassic Christmas is a good elfClassic Christmas is a good elf
My bother works in radio, and I had a similar complaint about a local station. He said it all is market-driven. Research shows that certain songs are responded to well by listeners, and those songs are the ones played over and over again.

It's not surprising those of us that frequent a site like this would be put off by what many 'Christmas' radio stations platy this time of year. Because we have such an affection for Christmas, we no doubt have a Christmas music collection that is more diverse and larger than many people. As such, we know there is so much more out there, so much better, than much of the standard fare offered up by stations who go all Christmas in late-November, and stop the music instantly at midnight on December 25th. Those stations are geared towards the people who don't own any Christmas music, or own very few Holiday albums, Cd's, etc. And, as you'd expect, the market research shows hearing those certain songs puts many people in businesses version of the 'Christmas mood' (shopping mood).

99% of the stations that go All-Christmas for four or five weeks do so because it is a lure to advertisers: advertise with us, and we'll get potential shoppers in the mood to spend, spend, spend.

Yup, follow the money.

But that's why we're here. It goes deeper for us.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Classic Christmas For This Useful Post:
christmasjingles (11-26-2013), Christmasstar (12-04-2013), HollyJolly (12-01-2013), RadioJonD (11-26-2013), Virginia (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Classic Christmas View Post
My bother works in radio, and I had a similar complaint about a local station. He said it all is market-driven. Research shows that certain songs are responded to well by listeners, and those songs are the ones played over and over again.

It's not surprising those of us that frequent a site like this would be put off by what many 'Christmas' radio stations platy this time of year. Because we have such an affection for Christmas, we no doubt have a Christmas music collection that is more diverse and larger than many people. As such, we know there is so much more out there, so much better, than much of the standard fare offered up by stations who go all Christmas in late-November, and stop the music instantly at midnight on December 25th. Those stations are geared towards the people who don't own any Christmas music, or own very few Holiday albums, Cd's, etc. And, as you'd expect, the market research shows hearing those certain songs puts many people in businesses version of the 'Christmas mood' (shopping mood).

99% of the stations that go All-Christmas for four or five weeks do so because it is a lure to advertisers: advertise with us, and we'll get potential shoppers in the mood to spend, spend, spend.

Yup, follow the money.

But that's why we're here. It goes deeper for us.

I understand this idea for those stations that switch to a Christmas-only format a relatively short time before Christmas. But I have to think that someone listening when some stations switch almost immediately after Halloween (the station referenced in my original post switched over on the first Monday of November) would be more of a die hard fan of the holiday. People I know who aren't big fans of Christmas cringe at the thought of a station changing over before Thanksgiving.
The Following User Says Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
Virginia (11-25-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

sgrover has disabled reputation
I guess I'm lucky. There are 3 stations by me now that play all Christmas right now, but all of them play a really good selection. My peeve is when one comes on that I don't like (like Santa Baby, ugh), so I push the button for another station, and the same darn song is playing! So far it hasn't happened on all 3 stations though, thank goodness!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

Geoff5 has shown a merry disposition
Following the money also includes who owns the publishing

Originally Posted by redkaga View Post
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy hearing Christmas music on terrestrial radio starting a few days after Halloween, but the station here in Columbus that begins playing Christmas music early has an atrociously small playlist that I find myself getting annoyed with it. I think there are a few songs that get played every single hour.

A couple days ago, it was the end of the hour, and they played Burl Ives' "Holly Jolly Christmas". They did traffic and weather at the top of the hour, and the next song up in the queue… you guessed it…Burl Ives' "Holly Jolly Christmas". Now this is obviously a an error on somebody's part, but it's easily done considering what a small rotation of music these stations have.

When they play wall-to-wall Christmas music for nearly two months, can't these stations add a little more variety? Maybe some lesser-played artists or deeper cuts from the artists they do play?
I want to thank you for this keen post as the consumer, and for being a voice for those of us who write Christmas songs. The door to terrestrial radio has long been closed for independent artists, and I for one am very grateful for the support I've been given at Kringle Radio, Merry Christmas Radio and the Merry Podcast.

Following the advertising money is a good reason as to why the Christmas playlist is so small, but it also comes back to who owns the publishing rights. All terrestrial radio stations and TV stations pay a blanket fee to Performance Rights Organizations (PRO) such as ASCAP and BMI in the amount of about
2% of gross revenue. This pot of money then gets distributed to writers like myself as royalties. Clear Channel Communications is the behemoth in the room with a massive market share of radio stations nationally, and more often than not, they are strictly playing Christmas songs where they, or their subsidiaries, own the publishing rights. This has the effect of taking money out of one pocket and putting it in the other. It's a hard thing to do in any other genre except Christmas music, because they don't own the publishing rights for all the new, popular material.

I've been suspicious for a long time that the reason Christmas music in the US is dominated by songs written in the 1940's and 1950's, is not just because of nostalgia, but because it's incredibly profitable to be able to charge advertisers for airtime, and then have a greatly reduced expense for royalties when you are paying yourself.

Everyone's best solution for variety in Christmas music is to switch from terrestrial radio to internet radio such as Kringle Radio and Merry Christmas Radio. I'm working on a future post for the music section titled, "Are we in a Golden Era for Christmas Songs?" that will talk about this incredible phenomena of, "Christmas music - All the time!" on internet radio.

Thanks again for voicing your annoyance with the small Christmas song playlist at your local radio station in Columbus. I'm sure you'll find all the variety you could ever want at this site. If you haven't heard, The Merry Podcast #33 came out on Monday and it's awesome!

I highly recommend it!

Geoff
RadioJonD (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

novelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elf
My problem with Christmas music on the radio is playing a beautiful song that has been modernized. This is why, I mostly listen to my cd's.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

kgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the tree
I'm just tired of hearing every year Mariah Carey All I want for Christmas is You. They play it on the Christmas station and all of the other stations up here at least once an hour on every station. Makes me cringe. It's not a bad song just so overplayed.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:41 PM
*<[:{) Ho ho ho!!!

Last Achievements

Thanked 69,815 Times in 13,899 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
We have three stations in my area that are all Christmas, and more than once in the past all three stations had the same song on at the same time. Just annoying.