Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,448
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,132)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Miracle on 34th Street...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:28 PM
51,030 Views  0 Posts
Boxing Day
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:30 PM
51,678 Views  0 Posts
santahat Light on a Snowy Day
By MMC Editor
11-07-2011 07:41 AM
0 Posts
Christmas Tree Grandpa's Christmas Tree...
By MMC Editor
11-19-2011 10:56 PM
Last post by Stnicholas01
01-09-2014 01:35 PM
3 Posts
Xtree1 The Fir Tree
By MMC Editor
09-25-2011 07:00 AM
77,501 Views  0 Posts

Old 01-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

RachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elf
Gardening

So I was curious I know some members on here have metioned they liked to garden, has anyone ever tried growing giant pumpkins? I have a garden every year and always talk about trying it but I haven't yet.Last year I was at a fair in the fall while they were having a weigh in, some of those pumpkins were over 1000 pounds. So I bought some of the seeds they were selling from their pumpkins and this will be the year I give it a try.It should be fun and who knows I know i'd be happy with a couple hundred pounder imagine the face I could carve into that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RachRon For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (01-07-2012), lauriebear (01-04-2012), made582 (02-18-2012), sugar142286 (02-20-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,350 Times in 5,604 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Smithsonian Magazine recently did an article about the gardeners who compete for world-class-size pumpkins. They're closing in on growing a one-ton pumpkin. Here's the article online.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
RachRon (01-04-2012), sugar142286 (02-20-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,221 Times in 486 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I try to grow pumpkins every year and almost every year the stinking squash vine borers kill my vines. I dislike these bugs more than I can say. I have tried a million different methods to keep them off and the only one that was effective was a pesticide (sevin dust) but I'm just not willing to put that out into the environment again.

So yeah...boo.

HOWEVER, this past year I tried to grow a few different kinds of pumpkins again after not planting the garden for 2-3 years and there were surprisingly fewer borers! I actually got about 10 pumpkins this time, including 6 of the sugar pumpkins that I made pies out of! It was great.

I'm considering putting milkey spore (parasitic nematodes) into the soil this spring and trying to grow them again. These nematodes kill grubs and larvae of these moths, so I'm hoping they'll take care of the little suckers.

Thinking about gardening is helping me get over my lack-of-Christmas blues. In about a month it will be time to start planning the garden and we can plant in about 2.5 months. YAY!
lauriebear (01-04-2012), RachRon (01-04-2012), sugar142286 (02-20-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

RachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elf
Last year we grew and carved our own jack o lanterns without to much problem,but I know what you mean about those pesky squash borers!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RachRon For This Useful Post:
GingerMel (01-05-2012), sugar142286 (02-20-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,568 Times in 1,458 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by GingerMel View Post
I try to grow pumpkins every year and almost every year the stinking squash vine borers kill my vines. I dislike these bugs more than I can say. I have tried a million different methods to keep them off and the only one that was effective was a pesticide (sevin dust) but I'm just not willing to put that out into the environment again.

So yeah...boo.

HOWEVER, this past year I tried to grow a few different kinds of pumpkins again after not planting the garden for 2-3 years and there were surprisingly fewer borers! I actually got about 10 pumpkins this time, including 6 of the sugar pumpkins that I made pies out of! It was great.

I'm considering putting milkey spore (parasitic nematodes) into the soil this spring and trying to grow them again. These nematodes kill grubs and larvae of these moths, so I'm hoping they'll take care of the little suckers.

Thinking about gardening is helping me get over my lack-of-Christmas blues. In about a month it will be time to start planning the garden and we can plant in about 2.5 months. YAY!
I have never tried to grow a giant pumpkin, but I do so love to garden, I should find my pictures of the condo and post them, I have my pixie lillies on my page here.

I do plant veggies and flowers, but alas my garden pest is the Slug and Pill bugs!!! I too do not want to use Sevin Dust anymore - does anyone have a suggestion?

I would love to see the progress of Ron's Giant Pumpkin that would be cool to see!!!
RachRon (01-04-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,221 Times in 486 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I have used Neem Oil on some of my plants and it keeps a bunch of the pets off. It's a tree extract.

It helped me get some pumpkins one year.

I'm with you Laurie...I grew a bunch of stuff on an apartment balcony one year! I had great tomato production too! It was awesome.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 11,487 Times in 1,965 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
I have a pretty nice size garden, just a bit of advise, if you plan to plant pumpkins this spring, plan on them (the vines) on taking up plenty of space. They grow and extend everywheres. But, I did grow the little jack-o-lanterns this past fall and it was pretty neat to go out back and pick my own pumpkins in the fall...

Funny thing; even my teenagers got a kick out of it (I thought they were 5 and 3 again, fighting to who gets to pick the biggest pumpkin).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
GingerMel (01-09-2012), RachRon (01-06-2012), sugar142286 (02-20-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,230 Times in 12,639 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I tried to grow pumpkins once, does that count?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
made582 (02-18-2012), RachRon (01-07-2012), sugar142286 (02-20-2012), xmastidings (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 11,487 Times in 1,965 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by Christmasstar View Post
I tried to grow pumpkins once, does that count?
That's all that counts....

The Following User Says Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (01-08-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener
Last Achievements

ulflip2 has shown a merry disposition
My wife and I are gardeners. Every year she shows at the Illinois State Fair brings home tons of ribbons so here is what she does.

When trying to grow the "super size" guys she waits until she has a selection of pumpkins on the same vine. She then picks out the biggest and most healthy looking one and strips off all the others leaving only the one she wants on the vine. She says this allows the plant to put all it's energy and resources into just the one plant and gives you the best chance for growth.

Hope this helps, I just wander around the garden with a beverage in my hand and water and weed what she tells me to, so I'm no expert.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ulflip2 For This Useful Post:
DoubleA (07-31-2012), GingerMel (01-18-2012), made582 (02-18-2012), Meceka (02-20-2012), RachRon (01-19-2012), sugar142286 (02-20-2012), xmastidings (01-14-2012)