Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Controversy & Opinion » Lowe's refuses to call them "Christmas trees," chooses to call them "Family trees"

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,845
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 11-13-2007, 07:29 AM
*The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess, Real Halloween.com

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,113 Times in 546 Posts
JanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the tree
Lowe's refuses to call them "Christmas trees," chooses to call them "Family trees"

In an effort to avoid the use of the term "Christmas tree," Lowe's has renamed their Christmas trees and are now calling them "Family trees."
In their Holiday 2007 catalog, containing 56 pages of Christmas gifts, Lowe's advertises hundreds of gift items, including scores of "Family trees." In fact, the word "Christmas" only appears two times in the entire holiday catalog. The ads mentioning "Christmas cover only 12 square inches of the 5236 square inches available.
Lowe's even has one of their Family trees turned upside down on a stand. We are not sure what the significance of that is.
Lowe's evidently did not want to offend any non-Christians, therefore they replaced "Christmas tree" with "Family tree." Of course, if Christians are offended that is evidently ok.
An on-line search of Lowe's does reference some "Christmas" items. In fact, a word search of their Web site gives the exact same number 174 of the word "Christmas" as it does the word "holiday." Most of the items mentioning Christmas appear to use the promotional line given by the manufacturer.
Their Holiday 2007 catalog features scores of products, including lights, wreaths, trees, and yard decorations. Most people would associate these items with Christmas, but not Lowe's! Except for two obscure references, they refer to everything in their catalog as "holiday."

Cover of catalog
http://www.afa.net/lowescatalog.pdf

♥Jana's Creations♥
{My photography Blog}

Old 11-13-2007, 07:36 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,931 Times in 2,417 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
This is nothing new for Lowes... I think they purposely do this to make the news every year.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:59 AM
*The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess, Real Halloween.com

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,113 Times in 546 Posts
JanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the tree
And to think I was so excited to head over there to check out all their decore lol

♥Jana's Creations♥
{My photography Blog}
Old 11-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

SQNOLA has shown a merry disposition
I wonder if this is because they are hoping to attract more customers by advertising in a way that does not include "Christmas"? Maybe they're thinking Christians will purchase the items for Christmas anyway and non-Christian customers will be more likely to purchase them since they're not referred to as "Christmas" related. This doesn't make sense to me, and they can't be worried about law suits or bad publicity from using the word "Christmas" during the CHRISTMAS holidays, selling CHRISTMAS items. Crazy,

David
Old 11-13-2007, 03:28 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,238 Times in 2,287 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
I've noticed similar occurrences with the words Christmas & Holiday while searching National Public Radio's web site. Before I get started, all I'll say is "that's sad."
Old 11-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,673 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
That's insane...I would never buy a tree from there because of that reason.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:30 PM
MMC Forummaster & Tech Elf

dominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companion
Originally Posted by Annette1990 View Post
That's insane...I would never buy a tree from there because of that reason.
I think that's a little insane. I really don't understand why everyone makes this such a big deal.

Yes, it's stupid that they're not calling them Christmas trees, but is it really that important? Are any of you getting confused by this? To get offended by it seems a little thin-skinned to me.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:52 PM

Last Achievements

I wouldn't buy a tree from them not because I'm offended and thin-skinned but rather because I wouldn't want to support such ridiculous antics. Besides, there are lots of other places to buy trees why support these kind of crazy things by throwing business their way?

It's not ending my world but still, it bothers me enough to say that I've got choices in the market place and if they choose to play games with their political correctness it is totally ok for me to buy a tree from someone who wants to call it what it is.

That aside, my "family" tree is already on my wall and it is full of names that I'm sure you can't buy at Lowes.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:02 PM
MMC Forummaster & Tech Elf

dominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companion
Do you think that if you went into Lowe's and asked for the Christmas trees that you would be corrected? I think I might try that.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:03 PM

Last Achievements

I might try that for entertainment. Better yet, go in to Lowes and ask for "Family Trees" and see what happens!