Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Controversy & Opinion » Lowe's refuses to call them "Christmas trees," chooses to call them "Family trees"

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,971
Threads: 53,430
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,379)
Welcome to our newest member, BelenikovaRord
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Art of Wassail
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:19 PM
43,895 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Candles
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:20 PM
54,009 Views  0 Posts
Annual Survey of...
By MMC Editor
09-16-2013 08:19 AM
Last post by icetene33
10-21-2013 04:04 PM
19,279 Views  2 Posts
Fred Claus (Movie Review)
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 08:47 PM
53,400 Views  0 Posts
Zero Liability Season's...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 06:46 PM
47,823 Views  0 Posts

Old 11-14-2007, 10:29 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,887 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Nothing you ever see in a store is going to change the way you celebrate Christmas. And I think that's hardly the point.

But at what point to you accept change in society before you do something about it? To me we're really saying the same thing.

You question: why support an organization that exploits children in the production of their merchandise or whose methods destroy the world's natural resources?

And I'm saying I agree with that sentiment. Why support them indeed? They obviously promote something you are against. You have a standard. You have a limit. And your limits prohibit you from supporting an organization who is progressively sustaining a standard you cannot abide by.

The same thing goes for me. Why support an organization promoting multi-culturalism (which is really just another form of discrimination) when it is ultimately bad for our society?

A Christmas tree is a Christmas tree is a Christmas tree. If we get away from saying it that doesn't mean that's not what it is. But the longer they persist in redefining what things are the better the chance will be down the road that a Christmas tree will in fact cease to be a Christmas tree. It will be a "holiday" tree or a "family" tree or a "celebration" tree. And eventually, we won't even have a day to call "Christmas". It'll be something equally PC, watered-down and pointless.

That is the aim of those promoting the lack of using the word "Christmas". To them, to say "Christmas" is to say "religion". And to say "religion" is to say something offensive.

I work retail. I play the marketing games. I know the power of words when it comes to turning the sale. But this to me is clearly an agenda-driven intiative because there are people out there more than willing to say "It's ok, it won't affect my Christmas".

At what point do you stand up and say "I have standards!"?

For you, exploitation seems to be a sticking point. Environmental concerns are another. And I applaud you for that.

For me, a clear attempt to offend me just to win favor with another mind set to turn a buck is a sticking point. It is discrimination in my book.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Mistress of Home & Decor

Last Achievements

MrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the tree
Family trees, huh? Is that kind of like Orange trees? Apple trees? What exactly is a Family tree? Does it grow families????
Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 AM

Last Achievements

My family tree shows me and Sandy with seven "branches" -- and someday they will have branches. We are branches of our parents, etc.

That's a family tree. I've seen nothing like that at Lowes.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

lana has shown a merry disposition
I guess we just see the topic in a different light and I understand the point you are making. You take the topic of removing Christ from christmas to be very offensive and because of that I can respect that.

However i see this discussing getting to political (which is my fault) and I don't want the discussion to get ugly or anything.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:44 AM

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by lana View Post
I guess we just see the topic in a different light and I understand the point you are making. You take the topic of removing Christ from christmas to be very offensive and because of that I can respect that.

However i see this discussing getting to political (which is my fault) and I don't want the discussion to get ugly or anything.
No, no, no...it's not about Christ in Christmas. It's just about the word Christmas.

And this thread was political to begin with. No worries about that. That's what this topic area is mostly about, frankly.

I really bemoan the fact that some feel compelled to remove Christmas from our vocabulary. It has been a part of our society in the US for more than 140 years.

Why strip that way? Who, after all, is really complaining?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:46 AM

SQNOLA has shown a merry disposition
I think all of you are making some good points. The bottom line for me is that you do have a choice as to where you shop, and that can be based on whatever you choose...exploitation, offense, etc. I imagine the average person looking for a tree walks into a store, looks at the trees, and buys one without looking at what the store calls them.

Personally, I find it ridiculous that any store would sell Christmas items and call them "holiday" items. Who is going to buy a Christmas tree if it's not for Christmas?

Many, many non-Christians celebrate Christmas here and around the world, but they still call it Christmas! I can't imagine anyone other than these big box retailers calling their Christmas products, holiday products, and I bet the vast majority of the people who purchase their "holiday trees" still call them Christmas trees.

I also agree with Jeff about purchasing Christmas items from hardware stores and other big box stores like Walmart. It's one thing if you live in an area where there are no other options, but I'd much rather support a local business that specializes in Christmas than a huge retailer that occasionally brings in sub-standard products.

David
Old 11-14-2007, 10:50 AM

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by SQNOLA View Post
Personally, I find it ridiculous that any store would sell Christmas items and call them "holiday" items. Who is going to buy a Christmas tree if it's not for Christmas?

Many, many non-Christians celebrate Christmas here and around the world, but they still call it Christmas! I can't imagine anyone other than these big box retailers calling their Christmas products, holiday products, and I bet the vast majority of the people who purchase their "holiday trees" still call them Christmas trees.

David
I can bet you with near 100% certainty that when these retailers evaluate their sales they call it "Christmas". No two ways about it.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
No, no, no...it's not about Christ in Christmas. It's just about the word Christmas.
I thought that you were saying that

quote :"That is the aim of those promoting the lack of using the word "Christmas". To them, to say "Christmas" is to say "religion". And to say "religion" is to say something offensive. "

that is what I mean when I say taking the Christ out of Christmas, removing the religion.

Why strip that way? Who, after all, is really complaining?
while I agree that this is also silly for someone to complain about, I guess it a human right to "complain".
i don't know if that is agood thing or bad thing
Old 11-14-2007, 10:53 AM

i guess the real problem lies in the fact that there is marketing of Christmas
Old 11-14-2007, 10:54 AM

Last Achievements

I just don't believe people are walking into Lowes (or anywhere else) and saying "Stop! I've had enough Christmas!"

I think by deliberately avoiding the word "Christmas" they are trying to promote a political agenda -- which, in my opinion, has no place in the market, the public schools, the Boy Scouts or on Teletubbies.