Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,845
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 12-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,754 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Very surreal

My 22 year old next door neighbour (newly moved in by herself and Jack Russell terrier) phoned to ask if I had any band-aids. I told her to come on over and when she arrived, it turned out that she'd slashed her wrist. My first-aid training kicked in so I kept my head, didn't ask too many questions and then took her to the hospital when my ministrations didn't stop the bleeding. We've had her over a few times; she's really sweet but is obviously far troubled and she gave some indication of what was behind it. Long story short, her father is now in prison for his treatment of her and her sisters.

ANYWAY, before this happened, I'd already invited her for Christmas dinner. Turns out she's stopped eating as well and passed out at work. What else can I do? If I'm honest, I've probably had more results treating her like I do my son (let's face it, she's only 6 years older). She says she'll come at Christmas but I want to make it special for her and to make sure she eats something. Any suggestions (bearing in mind I've only today realised Christmas is 10 days away!!)??

Old 12-15-2007, 03:21 PM
mammaduke

santahat

I know that when I lost weight do to my chemo treatments they gave me milk shakes to drink with all my meals & banana cream pie for desserts. For a meal what about ham, candied yams, mashed potatoes, & a nice tossed salad. Offer her a plate to take with her after the meal.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:22 PM

Last Achievements

Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Problem is Debbie that she has food; she just won't eat it

I could do with that food just now actually!!
Old 12-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Head Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happy
I'm not a therapist at all, but what I think she needs is someone to tell her that she is worth the air she breathes and that she is loved no matter what and I would include her/befriend her (like you did) and do the by the way check up on her. You are a great neighbor! Start as if she is a finicky eater and go from there. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,673 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
I think that her being invited over and seeing the love of others around her, it may make her feel at ease and see that not all people are evil like her father. I think the more everyone makes her feel welcomed she will at least snack a little. Take something wonderful you have made and tell her you really should try these they are sooo wonderful. And I bet she will. Good luck friend, you have a heart of gold! =)
Old 12-18-2007, 06:57 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,157 Times in 714 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
It's nice to hear that there are people like you!!!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:23 AM
Webmaster Partner, Why Christmas?

Last Achievements

whychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
It's great what you've done so far. Are you a Church go-er? Or do you know a local vicar/minister/priest/church that might be able to offer some counselling or point you/her in the right direction?
Old 12-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

xmascrackers has shown a merry disposition
A person who doesnt feel valued and doesnt believe they have anything to contribute will not get better by eating a little. I have always found that if there is something they can do that you cant - it doesnt have to be difficult - makes the person feel needed and valued. Find her a couple of jobs to do when she comes over. Things that you cant. She will feel as if she has a purpose. For me I have vertigo. I cant climb ladders or even stand on a step stool to change a light bulb without getting dizzy. I even get it just walking around. When I have people over that usually under valued (such as a couple of friends with intellectual disabilities - I get them changing light bulbs and carrying the tea tray. Little things can make a big difference in a life which feels worthless.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:26 PM

Last Achievements

To keep you posted, she came over on Wednesday night for some food and a chat and was really upbeat and doing really well. I've asked her to make dessert for Christmas dinner and she was really pleased (and is making something lemony - bonus!!!!!!)

The doorbell rang at 8.30 tonight and she fell in the door with her left wrist streaming. She said she didn't know how it had happened; she'd had a really bad nightmare and had fallen asleep again and woken up like that.

I'm really worried about her - the doctor has apparently told her that if she keeps doing it, she'll be committed.

She's now gone home but has been here for 3 hours and is laughing and joking so I'm slightly happier. Turns out that she got a letter today detailing exactly what her father is to be serving in prison and how much for each charge. He's in for a minimum of 15 years; says alot. Also explains the nightmares.

I've said I'll go with her to the doctor and to the counsellor (sp?) with her but guess what? The counsellor isn't available until January 7th as she's on holiday Surely this is the time of year to be at the end of a phone????

Anyway, that's it so far - thanks for listening!

PS
Got her a nice scarf and hat for Christmas and a necklace!
Old 12-21-2007, 04:37 PM
mammaduke

santahat

Do you know if she has any friends that could go & spend some time with her. It was really nice of you to take such good care of her, You are really a God sent to her. I hope everything goes well for you on Christmas. That was a good idea to involve her by asking her to bring dessert.