Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Does anyone know how to build an Ark?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,127
Threads: 54,232
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,523)
Welcome to our newest member, cmas333

Old 01-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Does anyone know how to build an Ark?

2008 is not starting out too well for the Sunshine family. Our town is almost completely under water. Luckily for DH and I, we don't live in the immediate flood danger zone (although the water got a bit too close for my comfort in spots), BUT, my mother isn't so lucky.

She lives well outside the "ordinary" flood zone (these are the areas that get flooded every year in the spring and fall), and outside the "100 year" flood plain (these are the areas that get flooded once in a while when the river gets really wild...but it seems she lives in the 500 year flood plain because we've got a record breaking flood in our town.

She had to be emergency evacuated from her home on Wednesday morning because the water had risen so quickly...much quicker than forecasts were indicating...we went from thinking her home might be spared to realizing she was stuck in her home which was surrounded by several feet of water. My mother is disabled so we had to call the fire/police rescue team to get her and my little sisters out of the house.

It's an absolute mess. My mother lives on disability and doesn't have any extra money to replace her things. Renters insurance doesn't cover flood damage (neither does most homeowners insurance) so she's going to be in a fine fix when she can finally get back into her home. I'm hoping against hope that the water didn't actually get "into" the house but I know that's probably way too much wishful thinking...that entire part of town is underwater.

Right now my mom and my sisters are staying with another sister but they can't stay there indefinitely. I don't know how long it will take the landlord to fix the house up after the water recedes...she can't afford to move, we can't afford to move her again (Dh and I footed the bill to move her into that house just about a year ago) so I don't know what we're going to do.

Not to mention...when she moved into the house, she didn't have room for her washer and dryer. Since both were practically brand new units she said that we could buy them from her and she would use the money to buy herself a stackable washer/dryer unit. Well, Dh and I jumped at the chance because otherwise mom wouldn't have been able to afford the stackable washer/dryer and we knew that we'd be needing a washer and dryer when we finally found a house and moved out of our apartment.

Well, until we got a house, we decided to store our washer and dryer in mom's garage. No doubt they're a total loss along with the camping equipment we'd stored in her garage as well.

This is such a mess and, to top it off, it's raining again.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 24,891 Times in 4,081 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Awe (((((Sunshine))))) I'm sorry to hear about all this! How awful!! What a mess! At least everybody is safe, right? We just had water in our basement a little over a month ago & that was a MESS...I can't even imagine what you're going through! I hope it all turns out much better than expected!! I'll keep you in my thoughts & prayers! Best wishes!!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Thanks for the positive thoughts and wishes...we can use all we can get right now.

We still can't get anywhere near mom's house but the water is starting to recede...of course, it started raining again this afternoon and it's still raining so who knows what will happen from here. We're trying to keep our sense of humor through it all but it's tough when we think of what we might be facing when we do get back in her house.

We're just trying to trust that there will be help available when we need it. We've already had wonderful friends and family who have stepped up and offered help when we get to the clean up stage. We also had a friend show up at my sister's house (where mom and my other sisters have been staying since being evacuated) with a whole bunch of groceries and necessities. It was so thoughtful it almost made me cry.

I know we're lucky that everyone got out safely. I know with my disabled mother it could have been so much worse.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Magi
Last Achievements

Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Awe Sunshine...I'm glad to hear that you are trying to keep a sense of humor about it b/c you know what....there is NOTHING you can do about it anyway! It is what it is & a bad attitude will only make it worse! I'm really hoping that you find out it's not as bad as you think! My fingers are crossed for you! Aren't friends, neighbors, & family just the greatest??? They never cease to amaze...

Goodluck w/ everything!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thank God!

I was finally able to get into my mother's house this morning before work. Imagine my complete surprise to find that no water had made it into the house!!! I literally cannot believe it! When they were rescued the water was only a few inches from their front door threshold and the river continued to rise for another 24 hours (another 2 feet) afterwards.

I keep wondering if there was a way that there could have been water in the house and I just didn't notice it...but I know that's silly...besides, my sister went in with me and we both agreed the house is in relatively good order.

Of course, with them leaving in an hurry and trying to put everything valuable up high...things are a bit of a mess. Also, they've lost all their perishable food (and mom had just spent over $100 stocking her freezer) and, of course, the outside of the house is a complete disaster area but I know that all is SO minor compared to what it could have been.

I keep praying for those who were not as fortunate as we were. Those who have lost everything (my siser's in-laws house is going to be a total loss, I'm sure...they live very near the river and theirs was one of the first homes to flood several days ago) are going to need all the support we can muster.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
mammaduke

Sunshine, I'm so sorry to hear about the problems that your mom is having, but the Lord was watching out for her so he didn't let the water get into the house.
Is there any way that they can give her emergency food stamps to help replace all the food that she lost ? I'd look into that if you can for her.
My prayers go out to all of you there, keep us updated with everything that's going on.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,158 Times in 715 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
Hi Sunshine. Im really sorrry to hear about the flooding and everything. Do let us know how everything pans out.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,065 Times in 613 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
God bless you, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It is terrible to go through floods, fires etc.

(((((((((hugs)))))))))
Old 01-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanks everyone! I'm exhausted but definitely relieved. I just spent three hours putting mom's house back in order. When you leave your home in an emergency and in a panic...you tend not to leave it in any good order, especially since they were trying to put everything valuable up as high as possible.

The utilities have been reconnected and the landlord has given her the green light to move back in. So, we'll move her, my sister and my sister's turtle back into the house tomorrow. They were all anxious to get home and wanted to move back in today but the heat had been off for a few days and the house was still so musty that Dh and I decided to leave them where they were for another day so we could do clean up and try to air the place out.

The only loss in the house was all of her refrigerated food and freezer food. She'd just been shopping to stock up and fill her freezer so it was a significant loss but I know it's nothing compared to the losses some have suffered.

Tomorrow we tackle the garage. I got in there today and saw exactly what damage flood waters can do. It's a disaster...we've lost so many things that were stored in the garage, but, we do know we're incredibly lucky and we're trying to hold on to that.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Awe sunshine....still keeping you in my thoughts & prayers! Glad everything turned out better than expected at your Moms!