Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,098
Threads: 54,015
Top Poster: xmas365 (167,029)
Welcome to our newest member, sonicboomboy

Old 01-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Maebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Grape tomatoes

Does anyone know why it would say to not refrigerate grape tomatoes? I'm a bit bothered by this because I just made a salad and took them out. I never noticed the "Do Not Refrigerate" note on the package. I always put my fruits and veggies in the fridge. I'm going to need a good reason to not put them in the fridge. (We just fought a battle in early to mid December with fruit flies--not leaving anything out!)

Old 01-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 23,970 Times in 3,917 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I have no idea why you shouldn't refrigerate grape maters...I always put mine in the fridge! I'll have to check the package the next time I buy some...hmmmm....

Old 01-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Mistletoeologist

sila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoesila would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
are they like cherry tomatos
i refrigerate mine
Old 01-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,673 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
Here is a little information I found online. Both cherry and grape tomatoes should have a smooth skin and firm texture. To store tomatoes, do not put them in the refrigerator because they will lose their flavor, rather set them on a counter top or shelf not exposed to direct sunlight. Hope this helped?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

scoobie has shown a merry dispositionscoobie has shown a merry disposition
You shouldnt ever refrigerate tomatoes, no matter what type... makes them lose their flavour.... they should be kept cool, but not cold...

You should also not refrigerate sub tropical fruit for the same reason.... and never ever ever put bananas in the fridge.. makes them go brown very quickly (I can give you the actual reason why this happens if anybody is interested! - No, I thought not )

Scoobie
Old 01-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 23,970 Times in 3,917 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I have never noticed my tomatoes losing their flavor (as they claim) after they have been refrigated...and they sure do keep a lot longer if you refrigerate them. Now banana's....they will definately turn brown!! Lol!! If I know I'm going to use my tomatoes right away, I don't refrigerate them, but if I want them to keep...in the fridge they go!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Maebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Thanks for that info. I've learned a lot today!
Old 01-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,763 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
To be honest,mytomatoes are always refrigerated - well, in the veg (even though they are a fruit) drawer and in the supermarket the shelves they sit on are chilled as well.

It would never enter my tiny head to put bananas in the fridge BUT I have heard a rumor along the lines of if you place tomatoes next to bananas (presumably not in chilly conditions) they will ripen........something. Bananas ripen the tomatoes or tomatoes ripen the bananas.

It's at times like this I realise I really do need a life!
Old 01-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

scoobie has shown a merry dispositionscoobie has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
It would never enter my tiny head to put bananas in the fridge BUT I have heard a rumor along the lines of if you place tomatoes next to bananas (presumably not in chilly conditions) they will ripen........something. Bananas ripen the tomatoes or tomatoes ripen the bananas.
I think its something to do with the gases released from the bananas as they ripen... or something... or maybe I just made that up?!

I never put tomoatoes in the fridge, I find they tend to taste sweeter if they are left out...maybe we should all try it.... leave one tomato in the fridge, one out (both of the same type) then do a blind taste test!! Or is that just me who is geeky enough to try that out!! Hahahahahahaha!!