Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Online » 'Christmas in July' packages to troops

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Online Christmas on the Internet -- it's what we do!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,832
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 05-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,673 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
'Christmas in July' packages to troops

During May, radio station WIIL Rock and VIP's Sports Bar and Night Club will promote the Adopt a Package program sponsored by the Antioch VFW Ladies Auxiliary.
The auxiliary sends out packages to troops in Iraq, providing them with necessities and treats throughout the year. "Every Friday in May during the 5:01 live broadcast, WIIL Rock is asking for items for our care packages, and on May 16 they will broadcast live from VIP's Sports Bar and Night Club," said Jeanne Oravetz, chairwoman of the Adopt a Package program.
The radio station, 95.1 FM, will also broadcast live at the Antioch VFW, 75 North Ave., from 10 a.m. until noon on May 24. That event will also include live entertainment, food, and raffles.

VIP's Sports Bar and Night Club, 955 Route 59, Antioch, will donate half of the door proceeds from the performances of the band So What Now at 9 p.m. May 23; Crows Feet at 9:30 p.m. May 24; and 76 Juliet at 9 p.m. May 25.
VIP's will also display a military Humvee, troop transporter and other items in its parking lot from May 23 to May 25.
"We would like to have a huge turnout for all of these events that benefit our troops and our care package program," Oravetz said.
Proceeds from the May events will help fund the "Christmas in July" mailing to Iraq. "The cost of mailing each package has increased $2, from $8.95 to $10.95. The size of the USPS boxes are a bit larger with the price increase, and we are taking advantage of that by including as many items as we can in each package," Oravetz said.
The auxiliary has been sending packages to troops in about two dozen units serving in Iraq. At Christmas, the auxiliary mailed out 700 packages, followed by mailings for Valentine's Day and Easter.
Cash donations to pay for mailing packages are needed, as are donations of tuna in foil packets, sunscreen and foot powder.
"Those are the items that are most useful, since it averages about 130 degrees at this time of year in Iraq. We want to send items that ship well and will make our troops more comfortable," Oravetz said. What isn't donated is purchased by the auxiliary to ensure that all troops get the same items.
Get involved
For more information about packages for the troops, contact Jeanne Oravetz at shaunkelly@sbcglobal.net. Donation checks should be made out to Ladies Auxiliary Post 4551, 75 North Ave., Antioch, Ill. 60002
Old 05-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

Mazarati_2003 has shown a merry disposition
Thank you for this information
Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

usafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Sounds like a great program. I cannot express to you enough how important programs like this mean to the men and women deployed overseas, especially during the holidays. I personally vouch for that as I have been down that road before.