Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,831
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,728)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 01-02-2006, 05:07 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

Smemorina is a new face around here!
La Befana

LA VERA STORIA

La Befana, (termine che è corruzione di Epifania, cioè manifestazione) è nell’immaginario collettivo un mitico personaggio con l’aspetto da vecchia che porta doni ai bambini buoni la notte tra il 5 e il 6 gennaio.

La sua origine si perde nella notte dei tempi, discende da tradizioni magiche precristiane e, nella cultura popolare, si fonde con elementi folcloristici e cristiani: la Befana porta i doni in ricordo di quelli offerti a Gesù Bambino dai Magi. L’iconografia è fissa: un gonnellone scuro ed ampio, un grembiule con le tasche, uno scialle, un fazzoletto o un cappellaccio in testa, un paio di ciabatte consunte, il tutto vivacizzato da numerose toppe colorate.
Si rifà al suo aspetto la filastrocca (la Befanata) che viene recitata in suo onore:

La Befana vien di notte
con le scarpe tutte rotte
col cappello alla romana...

VIVA VIVA LA BEFANA!

Nella notte tra il 5 e il 6 gennaio, a cavalcioni di una scopa, sotto il peso di un sacco stracolmo di giocattoli, cioccolatini e caramelle (sul cui fondo non manca mai anche una buona dose di cenere e carbone), passa sopra i tetti e calandosi dai camini riempie le calze lasciate appese dai bambini.
Questi, da parte loro, preparano per la buona vecchia, in un piatto, un mandarino o un’arancia e un bicchiere di vino. Il mattino successivo insieme ai regali troveranno il pasto consumato e l’impronta della mano della Befana sulla cenere sparsa nel piatto.

The TRUE HISTORY the Epiphany feast, (term that is corruption of Epifania, that is manifestation) is in the imaginary collective a mythical personage with the aspect from old that door gifts to the good children the night between the 5 and 6 January. Its origin gets lost in the night of the times, comes down from preChristian magical traditions and, in the popular culture, it is melted with folkloristic and Christian elements: the Epiphany feast door the gifts in memory of those offers to Jesus Child from the Magi. The iconography is fixed: a gonnellone dark and wide, an apron with the pockets, one scialle, a handkerchief or a cappellaccio in head, a pair of ciabatte consunte, the all vivacizzato one from numerous toppe colored. Rifà to its aspect filastrocca (the Befanata) that it comes recited in its honor:

The Epiphany feast vien of night
with the shoes all routes
with the hat to the Roman...
THE EPIPHANY FEAST LIVES ALIVE!

In the night between the 5 and 6 January, astride of a broom, under the weight of a bag stracolmo of giocattoli, chocolates and candies (on whose bottom never does not lack also a good dose ash and coal), passes over the roofs and decreasing itself from the fireplaces it fills up the stockings left hung from the children. These, from part they, prepare for good the old one, in a plate, a wine Mandarin or orange and glass. The mattino successive with to gifts they will find the meal consumed and the print of the hand of the Epiphany feast on the ash scattered in the plate.

this is a my job of carving on paper "LA BEFANA"
Old 07-21-2006, 08:36 AM
On the Naughty List

sheepsnot is a new face around here!
Where have you been, Smemorina? We miss you!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:40 PM

Hello
you to me, a lot lacked also!
But I have passed to health problems (hour go well) and of job that still not is, and it only works itself to times...
But I task always to you and Santa (have still the made tree!) and my small elfi of stoffa increase...
I will return soon!!!
Ciaooo
Old 08-04-2006, 08:16 PM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,430 Times in 817 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Greetings, dear friend. I remember hearing that story from my friend's Grandfather who lived across the street from me when I was growing up. Lorette's mother had come over from Italy. I remember the only thing I could say to her was "Ciaoo Nonna" and I would give her a smile and she would motion with her hand for me to sit down and then she would talk on and on to me in Italien and although I never knew what she was saying, I listened anyway because she had something to share.

I wish you good health and hope you can find work soon so you can come and visit us more often.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:24 AM

Hello
nearly sure it will have said if during the year six state deserving..... otherwise the Epiphany feast not to make gifts but coal...
In Italy Santa did not exist, but only the Epiphany feast, and in sure Italian regions still today they celebrate not Santa she and...

Thanks of all I hope that this year will be better and hope than to find job... and then after to be also one good Elf and to create much beautiful card for Santa...
ciao ciaooo
Old 08-05-2006, 08:21 AM
On the Naughty List

Can someone who understands Italian tell me the story? I have read the English translation, but it still leaves me puzzled. Too many words that didn't translate.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:49 AM

Last Achievements

AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Sure, Sheep.

La Befana is a Christmas witch that comes 12 days after Christmas on January 6. January 6 is Epiphany and is the celebration of the visit by the three wise men to the baby Jesus. La Befana is derived from Epifania, the Italian for Epiphany.

According to the Italian legend, La Befana lived on the road the three wise men took on their journey to Bethlehem to visit the baby Jesus. The three wise men were on camels and loaded down with gifts when they approached La Befana’s house. They stopped to ask directions to Bethlehem and to see if she could provide them with food and shelter for the night and if she wanted to join them on their journey. La Befana was too busy to talk to the wise men and to busy to go because she was cleaning her home.

Later she changed her mind and decided she should have gone with the wise men. So she set off on her own to look for the Christ Child. She never found the Christ Child.

Befana never gave up and to this day as the legend goes she is still looking in every home for the Christ Child. She flies on her broom to each house that is home to a child. La Befana leaves gifts in every house she visits in case one of them happens to be the Christ Child.

Old 08-06-2006, 06:27 AM

thanks for have translate...
I m sad not to know English, but I do not succeed to learn I do not understand the reason but I do not succeed
it pardons!
Old 08-06-2006, 07:30 PM
On the Naughty List

That's OK, Smemorina. That is why we are a good team. You add a unique and wonderful flavor to this forum, even if someone needs to translate after you.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:01 AM

Last Achievements

I also value your contributions to the forum, Smemorina.

I am happy that I am sometimes able to help clarify the things you are trying to say with the translator.

Sheep, I don't know very much Italien, in Junior High most of my friends were Italien so I picked up a bit here and there.
I know Christmas and have always enjoyed learning about how other people celebrate and I have a good memory for things to do with Christmas.