Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Controversy & Opinion » City Says Aspen Christmas Lights Killing the Earth

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 54,007
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,841)
Welcome to our newest member, AmyHardy

Old 05-10-2008, 11:00 AM
MMC Newshound

Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,084 Posts
ElfBot has disabled reputation
City Says Aspen Christmas Lights Killing the Earth

Holiday lights in Aspen and Pitkin County should have been off by March 30.But not everyone is following the rules and there are plenty of loopholes according to city and county officials.Carrington Brown, Pitkin County code enforcement officer, receives regular calls about Christmas lights still burning bright in places like Red Mountain. And [...]

More from Defend Christmas...

Old 05-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger
Last Achievements

Greg Young has shown a merry dispositionGreg Young has shown a merry dispositionGreg Young has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by ElfBot View Post
Holiday lights in Aspen and Pitkin County should have been off by March 30.But not everyone is following the rules and there are plenty of loopholes according to city and county officials.Carrington Brown, Pitkin County code enforcement officer, receives regular calls about Christmas lights still burning bright in places like Red Mountain. And [...]

More from Defend Christmas...
Most of us who have significant outdoor holiday lighting displays are switching over to LEDs, a little bit at a time.
That will help in energy conservation, as well as operational costs (once of course the higher costs of these lights are recouped).
Greg
Old 05-10-2008, 09:10 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,032 Times in 2,441 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Yeah, but what good are the LEDs if you have them on all year? That's what cracks me up about this story from Aspen. RESIDENTS have to get their lights down within two days of the holiday. BUSINESSES have until March 30th. Businesses are always going to consume more than a typical residence so what is the real motivation behind the dumb rules?
Old 05-10-2008, 09:49 PM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
its stupid, they just have the rule in place because its what they want. Its not for environmental reasons.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Last Achievements

Greg Young has shown a merry dispositionGreg Young has shown a merry dispositionGreg Young has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
Yeah, but what good are the LEDs if you have them on all year? That's what cracks me up about this story from Aspen. RESIDENTS have to get their lights down within two days of the holiday. BUSINESSES have until March 30th. Businesses are always going to consume more than a typical residence so what is the real motivation behind the dumb rules?
I would not have them on all year. That would take away from the seasonality of the display.
That being said, I do use them for Christmas and the 4th of July, using different displays for the 4th of course!
The motivation behind these rules, whatever it truly is, is irrelevant as I see it, because the actual practice is certainly discriminatory in its implementation! I hope they contest this!
Old 05-13-2008, 04:02 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

MissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elf
I'm not just talking about this particular area
but I'm just saying in general, why are they picking on christmas and not vegas?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:29 PM
On the Naughty List

gameshowguy2000 has shown a merry dispositiongameshowguy2000 has shown a merry disposition
I think Christmas lights should be up YEAR ROUND. These businesses and neighborhoods really need to stop fining people who don't take down their Christmas decorations. If they don't wanna take them down, they don't have to.

Heck, in my neighborhood, way across from my house, I got a neighbor who's got a star on his chimney YEAR-ROUND. He doesn't turn it on until the holiday season.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by gameshowguy2000 View Post
I think Christmas lights should be up YEAR ROUND. These businesses and neighborhoods really need to stop fining people who don't take down their Christmas decorations. If they don't wanna take them down, they don't have to.

Heck, in my neighborhood, way across from my house, I got a neighbor who's got a star on his chimney YEAR-ROUND. He doesn't turn it on until the holiday season.
Lucky he doesn't live in a HOA area (home owners' association). Many of them have strict rules when the lights (even if not lit) have to be taken down.
I am not sure why the attacks on Christmas and holiday lighting displays, etc. that we are seeing these days
I am not sure what has changed in recent years, except maybe folks have less tolerance for individual differences/opinions these days.
And I though the USA was founded on the pursuit religious freedom. Where did that tenet ever go???
Greg
Old 05-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,673 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
I agree with you Greg...they should not get a fine. It's not hurting anything at all as far as I am concerned. Even like gameshowguy said his neighbor has a star up...that is his choice. I drove down an alley here awhile back and I noticed these people had a sleigh with garland around it still in their back yard. I could not imagine someone stopping at their home and issuing them a ticket.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:06 PM
mammaduke

You should be allowed to have your lights lite up whenever you want. I light my cross & white lights at Easter time should I get fined for praising the Lord whenever I feel like I want to.