Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,845
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 10-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Ervserver

yup..would be from folks. The Santa gifts were yet to be delivered.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

cspelling is a new face around here!
I think Christmas day is the best day to open presents. Our family usually has the BIG dinner christmas eve, and we exchange one gift after dinner. The morning is the real show!
Old 07-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

ChristmasFanatic has shown a merry disposition
When I was a young one, we always opened our gifts on Christmas Day and it's a tradition I've continued. One year, after Mom got looking over the previous year's Christmas morning photos, she noticed our PJs looked a little ragged for nice photos, so following that became the tradition of opening one gift on Christmas Eve day....new PJs.

When I first started working and before I had vacation days to use, I always worked Christmas Eve, from about 11:00AM till 6:00Pm or 7:00PM and I was usualy frantically still wrapping on Christmas Eve, so just as well we never changed that tradition.

Now, I wrap as I buy and place them under the tree.....makes everything a lot more relaxing as we get closer to Christmas.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:12 PM
On the Naughty List

Jinglebelle will NOT spit in your eggnogJinglebelle will NOT spit in your eggnogJinglebelle will NOT spit in your eggnogJinglebelle will NOT spit in your eggnogJinglebelle will NOT spit in your eggnogJinglebelle will NOT spit in your eggnogJinglebelle will NOT spit in your eggnogJinglebelle will NOT spit in your eggnogJinglebelle will NOT spit in your eggnogJinglebelle will NOT spit in your eggnogJinglebelle will NOT spit in your eggnog
I was always only allowed to open one on Christmas eve as well... However I've found that letting my daughter open all her gifts from me and her Dad, make Christmas more enjoyable. It keeps her from being so wound up with anticipation of Christmas morning, that she actually gets some sleep... It's became our tradition, and I like the way it works out for us. Christmas morning is still hectic, and Santa always brings her plenty of goodies...
Old 07-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,509 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
On Christmas eve morning/early afternoon we go visiting some friends/relatives that would not be coming over for Christmas dinner. The kids gets to open any gifts they recieve from them so the giver can see their faces and the kids and thank them for their gifts. We usually get hom about mid afternoon on Christmas eve and let the kids open one gift then. Before we had our son, our daughter would open a gift from us but now they get to open their gift from each other. Usually a toy to keep them busy for the day. The rest get opened on Christmas morning. Both my husband and I were raised to open our gifts on Christmas morning. Never saw a reason to change that. I was also raised that any gifts recieved before Christmas could not be opened until Christmas day. Needless to say I am not very fond of that idea.

Last edited by Minta; 07-02-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

Merry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by SnowAngelChristmas View Post
we open one on christmas eve and save the rest for christmas.
Same here. If I can keep my husband out of them. He's worse than the kids ever were.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Growing up all of the gifts we got at home were from Santa so, of course, we couldn't open them on Christmas Eve as Santa hadn't gotten there yet to deliver the gifts.

I never even knew that other kids got gifts from their parents and, although it sounds strange, I always thought that it was a very selfless thing for my mom to do and it certainly enhanced the "magic" of Christmas. We would go to bed on Christmas Eve with no gifts under the tree and wake up Christmas morning with gifts piled everywhere (in a house with 5 children, even if you each only get a few gifts, it's still quite an impressive mound under the tree). Even now that we're all grown up, all the gifts for us under mom's tree still say "from Santa". It's great!

So, needless to say, I'm a big fan of opening gifts on Christmas morning. I even sneak up in the middle of the night to put DH's gifts under the tree (partly because of tradition and partly because he's such a big snoop that he'd never leave the gifts alone if I put them under there any earlier!) and fill his stocking.

DH, on the other hand, would prefer to open gifts Christmas Eve because he's like a kid when it comes to presents. So far, I'm winning the battle but every year he tries to wear me down!
Old 07-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I have always opened presents on Christmas day.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

megarrick has shown a merry dispositionmegarrick has shown a merry dispositionmegarrick has shown a merry disposition
When my brother and I were young, we got to open one present on Christmas Eve and it just so happened to be new pajamas so we didn't look as rough for Christmas Morning pictures while we were walking down the hall and opening all of our other presents.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Merry Fourms Member

GOJIMAN has shown a merry disposition
Gojiman

For as long as I can remember we would open one present on Christmas Eve and the rest in the morning.