Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Home & Family » Do you have a Debbie Downer in your family?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,846
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Mistletoeologist

ReineV has disabled reputation
Do you have a Debbie Downer in your family?

I was wondering if my family was alone in this, so here goes:

Do you have a relative who just takes almost every opportunity to try to bring the mood down? Here's an example: at my high school graduation, they sat the 50 students (I graduated with 458 seniors) with the top GPAs in the first couple of rows. The rest of us sat in alphabetical order behind them. So, after the graduation, my aunt comes up to me and says, "So what happened? Can't make it in with the smart kids?" No congratulations, no hello, just...that. (Which is why she didn't get invited to my college graduation!). She's actually notorious for saying really negative things at otherwise joyful times.

Got any Debbie Downers you know of? Share stories!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:47 AM
MMC Musicmaster & Programming Director of Merry Christmas Radio

Last Achievements

Thanked 2,633 Times in 555 Posts
JayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companionJayIsh is a safe caroling companion
We've got one who brings down the mood without even saying anything...sort of sucks the daylight out of every room they enter...I found many years ago that the best response to someone asking a question like the one your Aunt asked is to say "my, what an odd question..." Then I smile and walk away...
Old 05-29-2008, 12:13 PM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
yes

mom
Old 05-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

RavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elf
Yes, My Sister
Old 05-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,673 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
I do know people like this. I personally try to avoid it. I don't need negative energy around me. Life's to short for it. So if they start in..I quickly change the subject into something more postive. Sooner or later they are bound to get the message.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,306 Times in 13,285 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I think that every family has one,

Got any Debbie Downers you know of?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

purplecrush has shown a merry dispositionpurplecrush has shown a merry disposition
Yes I have one, my sister..shes so negative its ridiculous! Drives me nuts. I just stay away from her.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:11 PM
mammaduke

Yes we all have different events in ours lives, yet you have to remember it gets better.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Belly shakes like Jelly

Last Achievements

Steven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elf
Angela's sisters
Old 06-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

SW1Dennis would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSW1Dennis would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSW1Dennis would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSW1Dennis would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSW1Dennis would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSW1Dennis would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSW1Dennis would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSW1Dennis would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSW1Dennis would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSW1Dennis would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSW1Dennis would be nice to meet under the mistletoe

I really can't say that in my family that we have such a person. The only person who might come close to that fringe is myself.

I try not to think of myself as a "negative" person. I like to think that I deal in reality even if that means maybe showing the not so good side of things because those sides do exist. You have to admit that not all things are just sunshine, rainbows, and puppy dog kisses. I don't dwell on them, I just look out for them. I try to be as positive as I can.

However, for a relative to say what they did to someone at graduation time is just flat out wrong. I would have told the graduation person, "Good job......we are all proud of you and what you have done."

My wife and I have had two daughters graduate school and neither of them sat with those who had the best grades in school, but we were just as happy for them none the less because we knew that our daughters did the best that they could. Because really, no one is going to remember who sat with who or for that matter no one is going to care. All that matters is that graduatiee goes out and makes their mark in the world and does the best he or she can and maybe make a positive change in life for all of us.