Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

A note for our newest members

Discussion in 'Christmas Together' started by Jeff Westover, Jul 27, 2007.

1. theRaven

theRaven Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

It is wonderful to see Christmas being spoken of in such an elequent and peaceful way...I am so glad I came across this site.

2. Caroling

Caroling MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Thanks for the info. Caroling

3. HollyJells

HollyJells MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Darn it Jeff!!! Aubree is a lucky little girl. I will admit I was a serious non-believer myself for years, but it took a 4 year old looking up at me in wonder one Christmas to make me a believer again. Her mom had died the year before but she told me that Santa had given her something that no one else could- hope!!! I was in tears when I read your story. The history and start of this site was not just for Aubree's benefit, but for those around the world who now call this site a second Christmas home.

4. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

Thank you, HollyJells. The miracle of this for me remains in that Aubree is now almost 24 years old and she still believes.

5. skarlet7

skarlet7 Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

Hi,
    i havent been here for awhile, I had been helping to plan my youngest daughters wedding, So thats behind me I can start thinking more christmasy things now! Im still fairly new so yall bear with me as i snoop around and find my way here! My name is Elaine By the way its nice to meet yall!
    have a great night!
    Elaine:hello:

'Tis the season likes this.
  6. Jolie

Jolie Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

Hi

I am new around here hoping to make friends here and hoping to get a nice chit chat here....

Cheers:snowball:

7. Bullypup

Bullypup Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer

Thanks Jeff, great info.

8. Jeniferdwn

Jeniferdwn Chestnut Roaster MMC Lifer

Nice to meet everyone. This looks like a place where I will be spending alot of time!!!

9. ChristmasHeart

ChristmasHeart MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

So happy you are here, Jeniferdwn! :rudolph:

10. dhunter10

dhunter10 Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

A really good job with everything, Jeff. This site is as comprehensive as you can get.

11. Melissa

Melissa Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

I'm new here and loving it!!

12. merrymistletoe

merrymistletoe MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

come on over to the Christmas Countdown. that's usually where the every day posts are @. we would love to have you!:tree:

13. katwkittens

katwkittens Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

So much useful info, and so happy to have discovered MMC......

Kat

14. Mistletoe Wishes

Mistletoe Wishes Sugar Cookie Tester Merry Forums Member

Firstly, thank you for the amazing site! :D
    As a newbie there is a couple of things I would have liked to have seen but haven't yet. The first would be email notifications. I had loads! Lol. I found my way to stop most of them but maybe a small welcome thread (Pinned/sticky.) explaining how and where email notifications are set and how to turn them off would be helpful.
    Next, avatars and signatures. I don't yet know how to add these so a guide would be good (Where and how.). Otherwise I'll have to root round a bit and see if I find where to add them.
    A thread with those in would be good as well as including the site rules.
    Apart from that I love this site! :D

sugar142286 and snowflake22 like this.
  15. Jeff Westover

Thanks for the feedback. We recognize we've got a lot of these issues to work on.

Email notifications are critical to maintaining the site. We're reviewing which ones need to be "default" versus which shouldn't be turned on at all. We agree it can be culled.

In terms of avatars and signatures -- those are premium features. We need to do a better job of communicating that and we're working on those options. I did set up a thread explaining how our premium membership works but that is hardly helpful or noticeable to someone brand new on the site who just registers. So we're working through that.

Site rules are a compulsory click upon registration. The problem with that is that nobody reads them. On top of that the technology powering our forums has changed too. So we're evaluating our rules now to work around those, eliminating more rules than establishing new ones. We will be posting an update soon. Our intent is to make this a friendly place for all with broad liberties. Only occasionally do we have someone who comes along to abuse the community and we think we can keep things fairly open as long as folks continue to just "be nice".

16. Mistletoe Wishes

Mistletoe Wishes Sugar Cookie Tester Merry Forums Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :) I shall have to have a look around for the thread on membership.

17. Coen

Coen Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Premiere Member

Thank you for the quick rundown, Jeff! I was wanting to read up on your wonderfull team and you only to notice the thread you linked to does not seem to exist. Is this a problem on my end or is the link not working properly?

snowflake22 and sugar142286 like this.
  18. Jeff Westover

The link has changed -- sorry about that. Try HERE

Coen, sugar142286 and snowflake22 like this.
  19. Nash

Nash Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Hi all new here came across from Christmas talk , look forward to spending time here in run up to Christmas 2015 and beyond ..Its never to early to start Christmas lol my family and workmates think im bit mad going on bout Christmas and Listening to Christmas tunes in May , June , July etc but hey who cares eh ,,,,,,,,,,and now as a 51 yr old man with a 18 month old daughter Christmas is going to be even more special in my house ,,,,

20. Bradmac

Bradmac It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year! MMC Lifer

Wow, I'm 51 and I thought I had a late start with a 14 year old! Bless your heart!

Thinking back, though, it would be nice to be able to hold her again while swinging on the front porch....

snowflake22 likes this.