MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
The Fourth of July is a week from Saturday---are there any fans of the Fourth here? I'm playing Sousa marches and American patriotic music in my car and looking forward to viewing "The Music Man" and "Stars and Stripes Forever" and "1776" and "Yankee Doodle Dandy." Anyone else in the red, white, and blue spirit? (It's also my birthday, so I get an extra-special "bang" out of it!)

Laney

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 20, 2008
St. Louis, Missouri
I love the 4th of July! We have a big BBQ and then watch a fireworks display that goes off directly across the street from my house. I don't have much in the way of decorations yet, but I'm working on that! It is such a special day to remember just how much has been given in order for us to live in this amazing country!

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
I'm not into July 4th festivities that much anymore. I used to love going to see fireworks display. But now I'd rather just stay home and light sparklers rather than fight the traffic to go see fireworks somewhere. Plus working on midnight shift has ruined July 4th for me because I have to be back at work at midnight that night because it's the 5th so I really don't go to picnics or fireworks because of that. Unless the 4th falls on the weekend like this year, so maybe I'll actually get out and do something instead of watching my neighbors fireworks from my kitchen window!

Mumof2

One Happy lil Elf
MMC Lifer
Oct 23, 2007
Boston, Ma
www.facebook.com
I was when I was younger.We would pack up and go into downtown Boston and Sit along the charles and wait all day for the Fireworks and listen to the Boston Pops.they would have vendors,other acts would sing,performers of all kinds.Haven't been since 1994.I do miss it.

MsChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 8, 2008
Maryland, USA
I do like 4th of July but havent been into it that much the past few years. We use to have the best cookouts at my Aunt's house (built in heated pool, great location)..everyone always attended. But she moved a few years ago..this year my son is at a good age and starting to get interested in fireworks but I dont think we will go to see them anywhere since Im almost 8 months pregnant. I dont want to scare the little one in my tummy! I love getting together with family and friends and we still do have a cookout or 2 to attend but its just not the same as when we had it at my Aunts house!

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Sounds like it isn't that much of a holiday for some folks. I'm sorry to hear that. We don't go to parades or fireworks, but we do manage to get into the spirit with movies, music, food, and the Boston Pops on television.

The town where I grew up hosted an annual carnival from Monday through Saturday the week of July Fourth, kicking it off with a parade on the Sunday before and giving a fireworks display on the Fourth, so it was always a big day (and big week!) for me. I guess the charge I get out of the holiday must be fueled by nostalgia ...

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
I love the 4th of July. Do I set off fireworks, no. But I do so appreciate what those people did back in the time leading up to July 4th, 1776 and the time after that I feel it's a celebration of gigantic proportions.
Every man who signed the Declaration of Independence could have signed his own death warrant. But yet they did sign because they believe in God's word and they believed in the right to be free.
I don't feel the media does enough to promote this holiday. People take so much for granted and have had freedom for so long that they don't even think about the brave men and women who made it all possible and continue to make it possible by serving in our nations armed forces.

I guess I'm a yankee doodle dandy. And a very grateful citizen of the United States of America.

Reactions: 1 person

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
I love the 4th of July. Do I set off fireworks, no. But I do so appreciate what those people did back in the time leading up to July 4th, 1776 and the time after that I feel it's a celebration of gigantic proportions.
Every man who signed the Declaration of Independence could have signed his own death warrant. But yet they did sign because they believe in God's word and they believed in the right to be free.
I don't feel the media does enough to promote this holiday. People take so much for granted and have had freedom for so long that they don't even think about the brave men and women who made it all possible and continue to make it possible by serving in our nations armed forces.

I guess I'm a yankee doodle dandy. And a very grateful citizen of the United States of America.

Thanks, joyful. That really says quite well why we celebrate the Fourth. I'm very thankful that our forefathers had the courage to do what they did. The U.S.A. isn't perfect, but when you consider some of the alternatives---and when you consider that what was then no less than an experimental form of government is still working after more than 200 years---we're a fine country.

Count me another Yankee Doodle Dandy.

loksi

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Jul 14, 2008
Oklahoma
Oh yes, I love the 4th. My decorations have been up since Memorial Day and I've just added to them along the way (someone stole some of my lights just the other day though!). We don't get to pop fireworks where I live, but there are some pretty good displays around and we'll be enjoying some of them. I have a daughter whose workplace sets up a big party and invites all the families to participate. It's a great time!
AND I hold much appreciation to all the founding fathers and I offer thanks for all the modern patriots who stand up for liberty and freedom. We get to do so many things in our great country that I'm afraid many of us simply take them for granted.
Enjoy the holiday. Let Freedom Ring!

Annette

Christmas Princess
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2007
Washington
Yes!! My 7 year old daughter...who has been poppin them off for the last couple of days.

HoosierChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 8, 2007
I'm a HUGE 4th of July nut! We usually have a big party but because I had my grad party last weekend we decided not to have it this year. We started getting really involved when our parties got bigger. Last year was our biggest and I'm looking forward to next year's party!

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
I love the fourth of july. We always go to my sisters house and have a cookout. Before my nieces were born I use to spend about five hundered on fireworks and put on a show that would rival any professional. Now since my nieces are still young we don't set any off. The town sets off there display about a mile away from my sisters house though so we still see a good show.

Chillywilly

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 21, 2007
Northern California
The fourth of July means alot to my family for many reason. One because it is independence day, It is also my 3rd childs birthday along with it always being our family reunion time. So i love it.

Courtney

Makin' A Comeback!
MMC Lifer
Jul 21, 2008
Home
As far as I know we are taking it easy this year and we are gonna stay home, don't really feel like going into town. Plans could change though.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image