Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Best Selling Christmas Toys of the 70s...

Discussion in 'Retro' started by rodmonster, Jul 21, 2011.

1. rodmonster

rodmonster Santa's Personal Trainer MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

Which did you have?

1970 - Rolf Harris Stylophone (Musical toy with a strangely annoying pitch. Apparently invented by accident the Stylophone enjoys cult popularity among musicians

1971 - Space Hoppers, inflatable orange bouncers with horns for handles. Klackers, a modernised version of conkers that made a very annoying 'Klick Klack' sound and lead to dozens of imitations.

1972 - Mastermind, a game that had nothing to do with the TV show and everything to do with cracking the code of your opponents coloured plastic pegs

1973 - Magna Doodle. The magnetic drawing toy which was invented in Japan by pen engineers trying to create a clean mess free chalk.

1974 - Wombles. Womblemania hit the UK and Womble toys where everywhere

1975 - Slime, a bright green PVA based blob that came in little plastic pots and ruined many a households soft furnishings!

1976 - Raw Power. A handle that you added to your bike and 'revved' to create the sound of an engine.

1977 - Holly Hobbie, dolls based on the popular character

1978 - Star Wars, after the release of the movie the previous year the toys soon followed and became one of the most successful movie licenced properties of all time

1979 - Space Lego, the humble building brick went where no man had gone before.

2. rodmonster

I had...

I had...
    1970 - Rolf Harris Stylophone
    1971 - Space Hoppers
    1972 - Mastermind
    1973 - Magna Doodle
    1974 - NOPE.
    1975 - Slime, a bright green
    1976 - Raw Power.
    1977 - NOPE!!!
    1978 - Star Wars
    1979 - Space Lego

2 people like this.
  3. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

Where did Pong fit it? I distinctly remember it one Christmas but can't recall the year.

1 person likes this.
  4. elf bazaar

elf bazaar Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class Merry Forums Member

im too young to remember these !!! any idea what the eighties ones were i bet rainbow brite and cabbage patch dolls feature!!

5. rodmonster

80s

Doing the 80s one tomorrow... =)

1 person likes this.
  6. rodmonster

Pong!!!

Came out in 72... but Christmas of 75 was its hayday...
    I loved my pong!. We didnt get one until 78 or 79 though....
    =)

7. trackrebel

trackrebel candy cane hustla MMC Lifer

space hoppers, not the original ones, but the type of toys, are still kinda popular with kids here....and pogo hoppers have a comeback now

8. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

It my house it peaked, I would bet, in '74 or '75 and it's popularity lasted only a few months with us because things really started to change technology-wise in a big way in those days. I remember it wasn't too long after that I got my first "handheld" computer game which was a football game that was nothing more than red blips across a plastic field. Man, I played that thing for hours on end.

9. trackrebel

aint it funny how technology changed? now I am an 80s kid and I remember we were at a field hockey teammates place and they had a commodore.........we were all flocked to the screen to play Frogger.......and it would take an ion to loooooooooad....then we played for a second....and then it had to looooooooad again......and now You play video games let s say like soccer or football.....it almost looks like you are watching a game

10. elf bazaar

elf bazaar Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class Merry Forums Member

I remember my brother had a commodore 64 and thought he was the bees knees!!!

11. trackrebel

lol

12. George Broderick, Jr.

George Broderick, Jr. Guest

I got mostly socks and underwear during the 70's... disaffected teenage years...

13. HomemakinGirl

HomemakinGirl North Pole Domestic Goddess MMC Lifer

I loved the vintage Holly Hobbie rag dolls. My daughters had them too, so cute!

14. whitney37354

whitney37354 Rudolph's Groomer MMC Lifer

I was the nerd who asked for a world globe for Christmas. My mother still rags on me for that...

I didn't have any of these cool toys you listed. DH did have Star Wars stuff. He now hates that he sold it all in a yard sale when he was a kid to have spending money!

1 person likes this.
  15. RavenHardt

RavenHardt Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer

I loved my chrissy and velvet dolls with the growing hair

Posted from my BlackBerry

1 person likes this.
  16. xmas365

xmas365 Wants to build the second castle on the left MMC Lifer

Anyone ever see or even had this toy? [youtube_browser]stblRudM-4I&feature=feedrec_grec_index[/youtube_browser]

Milky the Marvelous Milking Cow

1 person likes this.
  17. Lynn68

Lynn68 Santa Clausologist MMC Lifer

In the '70s, I had Lite Brite, The Sunshine Family and their treehouse (they were smaller than average barbie like dolls that came with mom, dad, baby and a treehouse), I had Ballerina Barbie, The Six Million Dollar Man soll, a Cher doll with hair down to the backs of her knees, Spiro graph, Scooby Doo Mystery Machine, Road runner, Bugs bunny and Coyote stuffed animals with posable limbs which stood nearly as tall as I was, Raggedy Ann & Andy, Miss Beasley doll from the tv show Family Affair, a Holly Hobby stuffed doll, a slinky, and an anatomically correct baby Joey doll from the tv show All in the Family. Joey was Gloria's and meathead's son in the later years. I also had a lot of the popular "Golden" books. Wow, I can't believe I can remember that far back!! :wink:

1 person likes this.
  18. shellie12

shellie12 North Pole Resident MMC Lifer

i cant remember any of then toys in the house from santa or anyone else for that matter

over ther we had

prams. barbie and sindy dolls.tiny tears doll,

horney train sets..the six million dollar man(i had to get him one christmas)
    lego sets and board ganes. snakes and ladders,snap,old maid

*(

1 person likes this.
  19. Classic Christmas

Classic Christmas Eggnog Chugger Merry Forums Member

Sure did. Probably explains why I have anxiety attacks once in a while :)

1 person likes this.
  20. swmrsc

swmrsc Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

I remember and played with only a small handful of these, as I was only allowed very few things.
    Mastermind, Magna Doodle, Slime, Raw Power (My Cousins had this) and Legos.
    Most I never personally had.
    The School where I went to, (Conservative Church School), had most of these.