Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas Books

Discussion in 'Christmas Literature' started by JayIsh, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Christmasstar

Christmasstar one Crazy Canadian ! MMC Lifer

"The Santa Story revisited" by Arita Trahan 2009

- How to Give Your Children a Santa They Will Never Outgrow". She explains a way of playing with your children rather than for them, a more magical Santa celebration that allows you to keep all your favorite traditions and add to them. She celebrates Santa as the hero of anonymous giving the joyous expression of unconditional love.
    http://thesantastory.com/

I just picked this up at a book sale but will be reading it soon and will let you know how it is.

1 person likes this.
  2. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa Christmas.com Alum Christmas Talk Alum

3. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online Christmas Crew Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Talk Alum

I think I recall you looking at one of those books a few merry moons ago - good to see you've added to the collection. Think it was the Lone Star Christmas one.

Holiday and snowflake22 like this.
  4. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa Christmas.com Alum Christmas Talk Alum

This series has become a personal Christmas Season tradition!

Next one comes out in late October 2015! I Still no synopsis yet posted. Stay tuned.

[​IMG]

5. RadioJonD

Number five of this Christmas Western series is coming in November! My reading tradition!

From the webpage:

A TEXAS HILL COUNTRY CHRISTMAS

[​IMG]

While most folks are busy preparing for Christmas, the tightknit Jensen clan can only hope they’ll make it home. Luke Jensen is in San Antonio tracking down a dangerous outlaw. But when he finds the man leading a wholesome life—as a charity-working Hill Country pastor—Luke agrees to wait until after Christmas to bring him to justice. Meanwhile, Smoke and Sally Jensen head out from Fort Worth by stagecoach, only to be stranded by unrelenting rains—and stalked by a crazed Commanche killer. And in Austin, Ace Jensen falls head over heels in love with a girl he wants to marry. Unfortunately, she’s engaged to one of the outlaw gang that’s gunning for Luke’s bounty…

This year, the Jensen family is in for a stormy Christmas they will never forget—and one deadly showdown they may never survive…

HollyJolly, Holiday and snowflake22 like this.
  6. HollyJolly

HollyJolly Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor

Now on my radar! Thanks!

7. RadioJonD

It's not November but I was hopeful to find "A Texas Hill Country Christmas" while in Walmart last night. I wasn't there. The previous four books are prominently displayed though!

HollyJolly likes this.
  8. HollyJolly

HollyJolly Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor

I've not seen the series so I'll be starting from the beginning!

RadioJonD likes this.
  9. FrostyKnowsBest

FrostyKnowsBest Reindeer Rocketeer MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor

Do any of you know if there is a monthly or semi-monthly Christmas magazine out there somewhere? I've tried searching on amazon but can only seem to find those "special issues" with holiday recipes and such. I was looking for something more akin to the articles that are printed here and the stories discussed on the merry podcasts, but in a magazine format.

NcGunny likes this.
  10. RadioJonD

The sixth Christmas Western (and now a six year reading tradition for me) by J.A. Johnstone is coming out October 25, 2016.

From
    Google Books:

[​IMG]

At the Sugarloaf Ranch, Smoke and Sally Jensen prepare to welcome Preacher home for the holidays--unaware that their friend is trailed by a storm full of trouble.

On a mission of vengeance, an old trapper is rescued by Ace and Chance Jensen from ruthless outlaws--and wanted by a driven bounty hunter named Luke Jensen.

And, just released from prison, a criminal mastermind assembles a vicious gang of cutthroats to extract his final revenge against his enemy--the sheriff of Big Rock, Colorado . . .

With a snowstorm brewing, a community in jeopardy, and a showdown ready to explode, these courageous pioneers are brought together by fate and fury to forge peace on earth. But they're going to have to fight for it. With guns. With grit. With glory. Because this Christmas, the greatest gift of all is . . . staying alive.

FrostyKnowsBest likes this.
  11. trackrebel

trackrebel candy cane hustla MMC Lifer

I´ll be ordering Skipping Christmas now soon.......
    any good new books as of now?

12. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

I will dig through my magazines Frosty. I used to get one that come right from the printer that was U.K. based. I also got a hobby plane building mag from the same people. The printer went belly up and the plane mag had a hard time finding another,but my subscription was up on the Christmas mag so I didnt renew it. It was a great magazine that you read every page and every word of. I believe it was 8 issues a year and a gigantic December issue. Gotta give me a day or two to scrounge around.

13. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

So the short story is........
    The magazine started life as Year 'Round Christmas published by Anton Publishing in Ill. (1996ish) It was a successful "niche" mag. Publisher problems and it moved to the U.K. renamed Christmas all Year. This is when I received it. From what I could tell it never found another home after the publisher went belly up. But...there is suppose to be 2 or 3 niche mags of Christmas printed bi-monthly. Waiting on a acquiantance to send me more info.

FrostyKnowsBest and Holiday like this.
  14. Todd Trumpet

Todd Trumpet Merry Forums Newbie MMC Member

I will add my voice to those recommending THE original holiday classic, "A Christmas Carol", by Charles Dickens.

It can be found for free many places online, but one of the best, IMO, is the following PDF version, which is well-formatted, and includes all the illustrations by John Leech (including his four color plates):

http://www.ibiblio.org/ebooks/Dickens/Carol/Dickens_Carol.pdf

I have personally spent over a year now immersed in Dickens' classic, having taken the (almost) impossibly presumptuous step of writing a sequel. My intention is to offer my novella for free to readers of the My Merry Christmas forums, but I will do that in a separate thread.

For now, allow me to encourage those who may be familiar with "A Christmas Carol" only through its many screen adaptations to take a crack at the original novella. Its short (it took Dickens only 6 weeks to write, in a veritable fever dream of inspiration) and wonderfully evokes the mid-19th century Victorian Christmas he himself helped to popularize.

The language can be a challenge, but only at times, and mildly - and reading it in a British accent definitely helps!

It remains, IMO, the "granddaddy" of ALL Christmas stories.

15. FrostyKnowsBest

FrostyKnowsBest Reindeer Rocketeer MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor

That's awesome! Thanks for the info NcGunnny! I will keep checking this thread for more info.

16. FrostyKnowsBest

Do any of you have any good recommendations for Christmas books about some of the other mythical creatures like Belfana, Krampus and Black Peter? I read one called "The Old Magic of Christmas", it was published by llewyn's and intended more for a pagan audience, but was still an enjoyable read. I'm hoping to find another that delves deeper into the creatures and spends less time on spell crafting.

RadioJonD likes this.
  17. RadioJonD

Seventh in the series coming November 2017

from the webpage:

[​IMG]

Johnstone Justice. Made in America.

William W. Johnstone and J.A. Johnstone deliver a special holiday gift for devoted fans of the Jensen saga -- a warmhearted story of burning revenge, blazing bullets, and other Jensen family traditions . . .

Like most families, the Jensens gather together to celebrate the holidays. This year, since half the clan is scattered across the American West, they've decided to split the difference and meet up in Tucson. Matt and Luke will be there, for sure, and maybe Ace and Chance, too. That leaves Sally, Preacher, and Smoke Jensen, who've reserved three seats on a westbound stage to make sure they don't miss out on the festivities. What could possibly go wrong?

Mother Nature is the first to strike, dusting up the trail with a sandstorm as blinding and deadly as any northern blizzard. Then comes an Apache ambush, forcing the passengers and drivers to seek shelter in a cave. Even if Smoke and Preacher manage to shoot their way out of this, they have another big surprise waiting -- a ruthless gang of outlaws after the cargo of cash on the stage, happy to slaughter anyone who tries to stop them. If the Jensens hope to save Christmas this year, they'll need to save their own lives first . . .

Holiday likes this.
  18. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online Christmas Crew Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Talk Alum

Do you own the other 6 books in the series? I recall you liking it when the first novel was released.

Holiday likes this.
  19. AuntieMistletoeDear

I was re-reading the Cricket on the Hearth on my last vacation and will be re-reading A Christmas Carol on my next vacation (if it rains). :shakeit

Holiday likes this.
  20. RadioJonD

Yes, in paperback. All pretty good.

Holiday and XmasDreams like this.