Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Event Christmas Film Show in Newton, MA

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MerryCarey, Oct 14, 2016.

1. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

NOTE: THIS EVENT WAS HELD IN 2016---IF YOU'RE JUST SEEING THIS THREAD NOW ... YOU MISSED IT!
    If you're a fan of Christmas films---and vintage films in particular---and live within hailing distance of Newton, MA, be sure to save Monday evening, December 12, 2016.
    scrooge hicks.jpg
    Headlining the show will be "Scrooge" (1935, starring Sir Seymour Hicks). If you've seen the cut-down hour-long version on video and were turned off by the fuzzy, foggy, gray quality of the movie, forget you've ever seen it. We're screening a full-length, archive-quality 16mm print struck in 1936 from the original negative. The details are sharp, the photography is nuanced and atmospheric, and the title role is played by the Seymour Hicks, the actor who defined the role of Scrooge in England for decades: on stage, on the screen (in both a silent and a sound film), and on radio. Kudos also to Donald Calthrop, who offers the finest portrayal of Bob Cratchit ever seen onscreen.

We'll also be screening a second feature film, plus a couple of Christmas-themed short subjects.

For more information, please visit the webpage for the show. It includes directions and a link to an audio featurette that tells more about "Scrooge." Please PM me if you are interested in attending, have questions, or would like a flyer that tells more about the other films in the show.

This will be a fun movie night, and a rare opportunity to see the classic "Scrooge" as it was intended to be seen. Don't miss it!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  2. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker Christmas Crew Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Founder

Dang! Let's put this show on the road! Thank you for posting.

Christmasstar, Ryan and e_xander like this.
  3. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

Wish we could take it on the road! It'll be the first time we've screened it for an audience.

Ryan likes this.
  4. e_xander

e_xander Executive Producer, Tracking Santa Christmas Crew Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa Christmas Talk Alum

I'd attend!!

Christmasstar, Ryan and MerryCarey like this.
  5. MerryCarey

Wish you could be there! I know you'd enjoy it.

Christmasstar, Ryan and e_xander like this.
  6. xmas365

xmas365 Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins MMC Lifer

Just down the Pike for me, I will have to consider this one.

Ryan and e_xander like this.
  7. MerryCarey

Hope you can make it. We'd love to meet you!
    I'll get a flyer to you when we have them ready.

Christmasstar, xmas365 and Ryan like this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan Christmas Podmaster Christmas Crew MMC Lifer MMC Donor

Merry, such a wonderful thing you're doing in sharing this with folks! Wish Oklahoma wasn't so far away from y'all! ;)

9. MerryCarey

So do we. Wish we could have you there!

Christmasstar and Ryan like this.
  10. MerryCarey

I updated the first post with a link to a webpage with more information and directions to the show.

If you plan to attend, please let me know. I'll be there to meet you!

11. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa Christmas.com Alum Christmas Talk Alum

Coolarity! Wish we could make it!

Christmasstar likes this.
  12. MerryCarey

Wish you could, too. We'd be thrilled.
    And you could bring Mr. a 12-pack of RC Cola. :)

Christmasstar, CGYager and RadioJonD like this.
  13. CGYager

CGYager Santa's Helper in South Dakota Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

If I wasn't in South Dakota, I'd bring him two. One regular and one Cherry RC...
    rc-cherry-cola.jpg

Christmasstar and RadioJonD like this.
  14. MerryCarey

Never mind the cherry! He’d be tickled with all regular!

It was a good show. I wish we could screen that print for everyone at MMC.

Christmasstar and CGYager like this.
  15. Christmasstar

Christmasstar one Crazy Canadian ! Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Lifer

Sounds like fun would love to be able to attend unfortunately 10 Hour drive is a little much this time of the year

MerryCarey and CGYager like this.
  16. CGYager

CGYager Santa's Helper in South Dakota Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

We just all need to get together somewhere near MerryCarey's place and let her host one for us... ;)

MerryCarey likes this.
  17. MerryCarey

The show was LAST December, 2016. I guess it's time to hide or delete the thread! (I updated the first post to make it clear the event is long over!)

We have a nice little collection of Christmas rarities on film ... I'd love to be able to do a show for MMC.