Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas Light Count: Anyone Else Do This?

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by xmas365, Jan 8, 2010.

1. mike24forever

mike24forever Christmas Heart MMC Lifer

I know we are a few weeks from our PCB's and I really don't want to think about it, as we are in the middle of the Christmas season, however as my wife, daughter and myself were driving home from my parents tonight I noticed a lot more of the houses in my neighborhood had their lights on, and it made me think of this thread. Weird eh? Oh well, I hope everyone is doing well and Merry Christmas and I will see you all back here when we start our counts.

2. xmas365

xmas365 Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins MMC Lifer

I counted 118 on my way home from work on December 2.

mike24forever likes this.
  3. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler MMC Emeritus Member

Funny I saw this thread up already..I was just wondering how long I will once again see the lights up.

4. noodlenoggin

noodlenoggin Snowman Engineer MMC Member

I've seen a lot more houses with lights and full displays in my area as well. This year definitely proves my theory that weather impacts people's spirit for the holidays.

For the past several years here in Los Angeles it has been pretty warm and often downright hot at times throughout November and December. This has been pretty consistent I'd say since 2012, that was the last year I can recall it being significantly cooler for the majority of the holiday season. Even personally, over the last several Decembers I can recall turning to someone in the middle of the month and remarking how difficult it is to get into the Christmas because it's just been so hot outside. And I wondered if it was just me, but then looking around I got the impression that others felt the same way.

But now, finally in 2016, we're having quite the cold front take over here, and since the middle of November I've seen more houses than usual put up lights. The whole atmosphere just seems so much more festive than in previous years. And especially now, after the first weekend of December has passed, there are just multitudes more houses up and running with lights and Christmas displays all over the place. It's great!

5. xmas365

I counted 122 houses with lights on the way home tonight

6. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler MMC Emeritus Member

15 places tonight on my Eggnog search

7. mike24forever

I haven't started yet, as my lights and next door neighbours and the homes around us still have them up and going strong. I normally start counting in a week or two. Crazy that we are back to this time of year again.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    SnowflakeMom likes this.
  8. xmas365

January 6, 2017
    On the way and back from picking up Chinese food, I counted 60 houses with lights on, including dozens of trees. The round trip was less tha 10 miles. Lots of Christmas spirit still going on here.

9. xmas365

I was kind of shocked tonight when I went to pick up dinner and 18 houses were still all lit up, including 4 beautiful trees in windows. The craziest thing was all 18 were in an area less than one mile. Lots of Christmas spirit still going strong here.

10. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor Christmas Crew MMC Lifer

Several houses in my neighborhood still have lights up and on and several more modified their decorations like us and have "winter themed" lights on. Can even see a few Christmas trees up and on through windows too.

xmas365 and mike24forever like this.
  11. 'Tis the season

'Tis the season Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor

:( none.

xmas365 likes this.
  12. mike24forever

My house is still glowing bright. This weekend I'll start my count.

xmas365 likes this.
  13. xmas365

I counted 34 on the way home from work tonight.

14. mike24forever

My street alone has 14 homes (including mine) with their outdoor lights still on.

Christmas Knight and xmas365 like this.
  15. Christmas Knight

Christmas Knight Snowman Engineer MMC Member

That's amazing!

16. mike24forever

My trip to the store had a count of 21 homes with their lights on. This weekend seemed to mark the decline of the lights switching off. Our outdoor lights are now off until November 1st. It makes things so much more darker.

xmas365 likes this.
  17. xmas365

I counted 17 tonight.

18. SydneyBeems

SydneyBeems Mistletoe Hanger MMC Member

Wow. Sounds like you have some MMC types in your neighborhood. I cant find a single house anymore. :(

19. Murphman

Murphman Santa Beagle MMC Lifer

Over the weekend all but one has taken down everything. And the last holdout has removed everything except the window candles.

mike24forever and xmas365 like this.
  20. xmas365

I counted 7 on the way home from work tonight, the end of the counting season seems to be just about here.