Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Christmas Tree or Holiday Tree?

Discussion in 'Christmas Controversy & Opinion' started by gameshowguy2000, Dec 3, 2005.

1. gameshowguy2000

gameshowguy2000 Guest

OK, I watched a story on the news last night, on whether we call our popular decorated evergreens "Christmas Trees" or "Holiday Trees".

Some people have said that the holiday is Christmas, it should be called a Christmas tree.

Others have said that the issue has gone way too far, and, regardless of what their beliefs are have called their evergreens "Christmas Trees" and/or "Holiday Trees." Some even said they don't care if someone uses "Merry Christmas" and/or "Happy Holidays" when being greeted.

My opinion is neutral on this one. I've mostly called my tree a Christmas tree, and have yet to call it a Holiday tree.

What's your opinion?

2. Smemorina

Smemorina Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

:grin:

For me the translator is difficult to explain my thought in Italian thoughts in English (then does not give to sense to the thought) I tries and hopes otherwise of being understood patience!
    My opinion is that the Christmas is the festivity!
    While the package gift or the tree is only a symbol, but they would not have to be more important.
    The tree and the decorations remember us that it is Christmas, but not the meant one that it represents.
    All make the tree, who believe in Jesù but also who does not believe!
    But the Christmas one arrives even if not there is decoration...
    :( It is too much difficult to explain... you pardon to me!
    Often I see gifts and I have the feeling that is a way to make to see that a person can more than others, to put itself in extension... But true the Christmas one must not have exchange of packages (often useless) but an exchange of affection love, to say I want... this to you is the gift well is the Christmas one, all the rest is beautiful sure but it counts little. This is my thought, just or mistaken, but respect that one of others.
    Ciao ciaooo
    [​IMG]

Il mio parere è che il Natale è la festa! Mentre il pacco regalo o l'albero sono solo un simbolo, ma non dovrebbero essere più importanti. L'albero e le decorazioni ci ricordano che è Natale, ma non il significato che rappresenta. Tutti fanno l'albero, chi crede in Jesù ma anche chi non crede! Ma il Natale arriva anche se non c'è decorazione... è troppo difficile spiegare...perdonatemi! Spesso vedo i regali e ho la sensazione che sia un modo di far vedere che una persona può più di altre, mettersi in mostra...Ma il vero Natale non dovrebbe avere scambio di pacchi (spesso inutili) ma uno scambio di amore di affetto, dire ti voglio bene...questo è il regalo è il Natale, tutto il resto è bello certo ma conta meno. Questo è il mio pensiero, giusto o sbagliato, ma rispetto quello di altri.

3. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

Smemorina is right: put up a tree and hang lights on it and those who love Christmas and believe in it will see it for what it is...a Christmas tree!

I can tell you just from running the site that there are some out there who do not like Christmas and who genuinely get mad at the display of Christmas in society. I feel for them only in a small way...mostly sad. The message of Christmas is one of peace and goodwill. Yet some can't hear over the sound of their own yelling to get that. For them, Christmas is something to pick on.

I do not agree but understand where some public officials are coming from by calling a Christmas tree a Holiday tree. But they are sadly fooling no one. It is a Christmas tree whether they say so or not. Those of us who recognize Christmas call it such...and those who condemn Christmas call it the same thing. The point is that nobody is happy with it.

Christmas, as a word and a sentiment, should be allowed in society just on the principles of free speech alone. Those who work to suppress it should consider that before insisting that it be removed.

:lol:

Jeff

4. Smemorina

I have my tree that makes company and joy me :) , but unfortunately the Christmas day of in house mine I live myself only false, gift exchange where who has made them says clearly to you that six in debit, and therefore for me that gift do not have value why it is not made with the heart. :sad:
    My small son has given the Christmas passed a design to me, where I did not understand null but he has said to me I was I and he, and for me it has been wonderful! :lol:
    Excused I know it is only a problem alive mine... but from years badly the Christmas one, but this will be various, will be to house a plate of brodo without expensive ragali but with who it loves to me indeed!
    Excused but I have pain within of me too much, but I promise I will not be sadder when they are with you....
    Ciao ciaoo

5. Sonshine

Sonshine Merry Forums Newbie Merry Forums Member

There would be no holiday without the celebration of the birth of Christ. And it is the belief in Him that the founders, our forefathers, wrote the constitution.

Politicians need to stay out of Christmas. Unfortunately, the only thing they have any right to touch is the government holiday, Christmas. Because the first amendment clearly says Congress shall make no laws regarding the establishment of religion...but it also says...they shall not interfere with the freedom to worship either. Which they are doing.

Majority rules! We need to stop letting the secularists, and the humanists (both also religions) stop ruling when they are only a minority of the population. Give those folks an inch and they won't just take a mile...they'll take as much as we are willing to give them and then some!

ITA with Smemorina , Christmas is a season to celebrate Jesus. He came in love and died in love...and that is what we share at Christmas...love (amour :grin:). If people want to hate and smite us who celebrate Jesus...then it is their 'hell' to bear.

Merry Christmas ( and especially to you, Smemorina :) )

6. Smemorina

Thanks!

[​IMG]

7. OfNobility1982

OfNobility1982 Guest

Jesus is the reason for the season and in the words of Forest Gump. "That's all I have to say about that." I love Christmas. I'll call it Christmas until the day I die.

8. candycanemartini

candycanemartini Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

Well it seems to me since the origin of Christmas trees really don't have much to do with Jesus himself that's just silly! Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take Christ out of Christmas. However we have Christmas trees because of the melding of both Druid and Christian traditions so to say that we have to call them "holiday trees' now is just going too far...sigh :-o I love this quote: "The Christmas tree is a symbol of a living Christmas spirit and brings into our lives a pleasant aroma of the forest."

Stuff on the origins of Christmas/holiday trees:

"Centuries ago in Great Britain, woods priests called Druids used evergreens during mysterious winter solstice rituals. The Druids used holly and mistletoe as symbols of eternal life, and place evergreen branches over doors to keep away evil spirits.

Late in the Middle Ages, Germans and Scandinavians placed evergreen trees inside their homes or just outside their doors to show their hope in the forthcoming spring. Our modern Christmas tree evolved from these early traditions."

9. HolyNight7

HolyNight7 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I hope I didn't sound naive in my previous post. I realized that Christmas trees have no relation to Jesus. I just would like to clarify why I believe it's important to keep the Christ in Christmas. And please if no ones believes the same as me that's okay too. Apart from Christ there is no good. To me he is the spirit of Christmas. He is love, hope and peace and joy. All those things that are sung about in traditional Christmas Carols he is. That's why my nick is HolyNight7. O Holy Night is my favorite Christmas song. What a message of hope it gives. Long lay the world in sin and error pining, til He appeared and the soul felt it's worth. One time I actually sat down and read those words and the meaning hit me right to the heart. It was like a revelation. Woo!

Okay I feel like I'm in a Charlie Brown episode now. LOL!

10. mrshamm

mrshamm MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

The Christmas tree was modeled after a pagan tradition. It was not originally intended to celebrate the birth of Christ so why does it mater what people call the decorated tree? I am a Christian but the reason I call my tree a Christmas tree is because I decorate it to celebrate Christmas. If people choose to decorate it simply to be festive for "the Holidays" then let them call it a Holiday tree.

11. Ervserver

Ervserver Guest

I call it a Christmas tree becuase I set it up and decorate it for Christmas time. I have another smaller tree that is setup and decorated year around for all other holidays, that is my holiday tree.

12. Petronius

Petronius Ornament Craftsman Merry Forums Member

I call it a Christmas tree.

13. Reindeer Herder

Reindeer Herder Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Christmas Tree - Answer me this, whoever heard of a "holiday tree" lot?