Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily Holiday Hangout

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edge612, Oct 1, 2016.

1. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. Santa's Mentor Christmas Crew MMC Lifer MMC Partner

Sure an' ye're all me Irish brethren today, lads an' lassies! :D

Holiday, Minta, CGYager and 1 other person like this.
  2. CGYager

CGYager Santa's Helper in South Dakota Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

Yes, we are all a bit Irish on the 17th. I always buy a new St. Patrick's Day T-shirt each year (and usually wear them out by the following year).
    Here's King Brian to Wish you a Happy St. Patrick's Day...
    King Brian.jpg

Holiday, Edge612, Minta and 1 other person like this.
  3. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer

Everyone is Irish on St.Patrick's Day!! Hope you have a good day and Happy Birthday to Rollins!

Holiday, Edge612, Minta and 1 other person like this.
  4. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

SATURDAY, MARCH 18, 2017
    Morning! And what a morning it is as we now move into the last weekend of winter! Yes, officially this season of winter is winding down this weekend. It's significant and I'll be looking at why today. It's a season and there's only 4 of them (thanks for stating the obvious Edge). What is the significance of winter ending this weekend? Let's look at that in today's post as our coldest of the 4 seasons winds down.

Winter. It actually comes in with the least amount of fanfare for us at MMC. Why? How can you say that Edge? It's the season that has CHRISTMAS EVE AND DAY in it! Well see that's the thing. When it arrives we are literally about 72 hours away from Christmas Eve and Day. That's crazy to think about but our minds are so 100% on those hours leading up to it that we barely acknowledge when it officially arrives. That's ok though. Winter is appreciated because we realize it does contain our favorite 2 days of the year back-to-back in the very early stages of it. Now with winter winding down and ending just think...eventually winter will return and when it does think about how we'll be literally 72 hours or so away from those 2 days again. Gives you chills doesn't it? Figuratively and literally! When winter ends don't be sad that we're getting farther away from it feeling and looking like Christmas...just think about where we are going to be when it returns December 21st or so? That's almost scary...maybe we should enjoy those other 3 seasons in the meantime!

This month of March is fascinating me at how fast it's moving. It has picked up a new pace that January and February didn't have. They went quick but March has been so cold/snowy you'd think that means it's dragging yet somehow to me it's been going so fast I'm almost thinking before we know it we'll be staring Easter down! And after that...well forget it then we start thinking about Memorial Day and summer...too fast too soon. That's why we come to MMC all year to talk about it because it all goes too fast and it's never too early to prepare for the holiday season ahead. Have a great Saturday!​

Holiday, Minta and CGYager like this.
  5. CGYager

CGYager Santa's Helper in South Dakota Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

The speed of March has been rapid for me as well, but mostly due to the up and down weather. Everything from the 60's, to 6" of snow, and back and forth again.
    Of course as we age, every year goes by faster and faster... :rolleyes:

Holiday, Minta and Edge612 like this.
  6. Edge612

No doubt and our pattern for March has been: Cold, Snow, Cold, Snow, Cold, Snow, then Cold...

7. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. Santa's Mentor Christmas Crew MMC Lifer MMC Partner

But, April is right around the bend and (this year, at least) April has Easter... y'know, Christmas's "sister holiday"...

Holiday, Minta, CGYager and 1 other person like this.
  8. Edge612

SUNDAY, MARCH 19, 2017
    Happy Last Day of Winter! Yes it is the final day of 1 of the 4 seasons of the year. Think about the fact that when winter started, as I mentioned yesterday, we were only literally a few days away from Christmas Eve/Day! That's amazing to think about and to realize that after today winter will not return until we are once again a few days away from our favorite days of the year. That really sounds amazing to me so let's say a final farewell to winter and thank it for everything it did for us today.

Thank you winter. You have a bad reputation with some people (including myself). We may not like the cold and snow (although we may love the snow during December). There may be times in the winter we wish it was spring so that we could enjoy a nice warm sunny day. I know that I feel that way sometimes but this year I did learn a greater appreciation for you winter. As we've talked about in this thread the 2 main winter months (January/February) are still within the 6 month range of the Christmas season. There's lots of signs of Christmas those 2 months with the snow and cold and Christmas decorations hanging on. With your arrival winter you ushered in to people on this site the greatest days of the year for us. The days we get excited for more than a 5 year old kid for. We thank you winter for bringing us Christmas Eve/Day. Without you they wouldn't be possible. Personally I am glad winter is ending because I look forward to many things in the spring (including Easter and Memorial Day) but winter next time you come back I think everyone on this site will be MORE than happy to see you again as we will be a couple of days away from Christmas!

On this last day of winter I hope to reflect a bit on what the winter brought to me. Like I said yesterday it arrives and nobody mentions it really because heck we're a couple of days away from Christmas! But it is exciting to think about what winter brings to us. Those few days before the biggest ones of the year and goes right through them. Christmas just wouldn't feel right in any of the other 3 seasons. Thanks winter cause you bring us what Christmas is all about. Have a great final day of winter!​

Holiday, Minta and NcGunny like this.
  9. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Member

Lol...last day of winter and just looked out the window !drum roll!!...wait for it.... Its snowing again!!

10. Edge612

Well isn't it ironic Gunny this year late November-mid December was actually colder/more snowy than much of actual WINTER! And now as we have approached the end of it through March again it's been colder/snowier than Jan/Feb!

Holiday, Minta and NcGunny like this.
  11. Edge612

MONDAY, MARCH 20, 2017
    Happy Spring! Yes spring arrives as winter ends. If you think about it, we are now halfway to Autumn starting again (the best season of the year most of us would agree). But it's good that spring has sprung. Lots of things to look forward to in spring after a long winter. Today's post welcomes spring and all the good things that this time of year and season has to offer to us.

Spring may be the most looked forward to season of all 4 by most everyday people (I didn't say MMC people). Lots of people do like the summertime. A smaller but hardcore group loves snow, winter, cold and skiing. Some people like the fall with the leaves turning, cooler weather, and holidays (that would be most of us). But overall I think more people look forward to spring than any other season. After a long, dark and cold/snowy winter many people can't wait for spring. They get so excited for it and ready for spring and everything it represents. It brings much more light, sunshine, warmer weather, Easter and even Memorial Day. Lots of great things in the spring as shivering when you go outside suddenly changes to sweating outside towards the 2nd half and end of spring. Spring is a great season. It brings hope and shows we survived another winter. Wasn't so bad was it? Welcome spring. We're glad you are here. Hopefully you'll give us all some nicer days to look forward to without getting too hot too soon!

Spring also reminds me often of Fall because it acts similar (except in reverse). It starts off chilly (where Fall begins warm) and gets warmer (where Fall gets cooler). Many days through the 1st half of spring especially will remind you of an October/November type day. Those are the days most of us look forward to more than anything and spring can be a nice little taste of that in advance. I hope everyone has a great 1st day of spring and thinks of all of the great things this season can bring us. Have a great day!​

MsRose, Holiday, Minta and 2 others like this.
  12. CGYager

Ah yes, Spring... that is where you see the snow melt away to uncover all of the leaves that were blown into your yard and then covered up... time to rake.
    Ah yes, Spring... when you look out upon your yard, see the bare patches, get out the crabgrass preventer, the fertilizer, grass seed (although not all at once) and begin to repair and get your yard looking good for the Summer... time to re-seed and mow.
    Ah yes, Spring... when you uncover your patio furniture and see it needs cleaning and by the way, so does your deck, your house and garage... time to wash, stain and paint.
    Now having said all that, you might think I do not like Spring, but you would be in error. True, that many of the outdoor chores get to be put on the shelf for a few months, because let's face it, most of us to not shovel and chip ice in the Winter as much as we plant, weed, use the spreader, mow and clean during the Spring. But it does bring renewal. Nothing like the first time you open your windows wide and fill your home with the aroma of Spring, while expelling the built up smells of a long Winter. Things "green up", blossoms bloom, leaves sprout and the garden shows signs of life and nourishment.
    Ah yes, Spring... for all the many "To Do" items that have built up over this past Winter... Welcome!
    1st Day of Spring 2017.jpg

13. SnowflakeMom

Welcome Spring!! I just hope we do not go right into summer and we have some spring like temps!

CGYager, Holiday, Minta and 1 other person like this.
  14. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor Christmas Crew Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Lifer

I complete agree with you. Lately it just seems like we flip from having the heat on to having the AC on or vice versa. I love not having to pay a heating bill or an air conditioning bill for a while and enjoy the fresh air in the house.

CGYager, SnowflakeMom and Edge612 like this.
  15. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

I had a message from the weather channel about the spring forecast - broken down my month. April, May, June....sounds like we could have some HOT weather, earlier than normal. I wish I could find that story/maps back. (BUT - they have been wrong before - a time or two! :p)

Minta, Edge612, CGYager and 2 others like this.
  16. Edge612

They also said March was going to be warm and well it's been colder than February lol. But I did see we'd have a "warm" spring. We'll see though.

Holiday and Minta like this.
  17. Edge612

TUESDAY, MARCH 21, 2017
    Happy Tuesday! Yes it's not Monday now so that's a small step in the right direction isn't it? Ahh spring is setting in now a little more day by day. And here we are at MMC thinking about the Christmas season and all the holidays ahead of us all year long. That's part of what makes this site fun isn't it? We can come here and talk about Christmas every day of the year. But what about other holidays? That's what we'll discuss in today's post.

Christmas. It's a day I think about from December 26th until it arrives on December 25th. Of course, many of us think about the whole Christmas season all-year long. But what about other holidays? Are there any others you think about as much, or at least close to the amount you think about Christmas? Any other holidays that you think about all year? I think about Thanksgiving all year because that really kicks off the Christmas season full-fledged and as I've said before it might be, overall when you look at it a better day than Christmas Day as a 1 on 1 comparison (because it's the beginning of everything we love instead of the end). But I also think about Halloween all year because to me that represents so much and the fall that I love. I can't say there is any holiday in the 1st 8 months that I think about all year like I do Christmas. I do like Easter and the 4th of July but I can't put them on the level of the holidays that I love during the 'Bers. So for me it's kind of an 8 month wait for the best 4 months of the year. Everything that happens in January-August is basically a set-up for the best time of year known as the 'Bers.

Holidays are all unique. It's fun to have your favorites to think about. But most holidays, even holiday lovers don't think about all year. You're most likely not thinking about Easter during the 'Bers or New Years when you're in the summer. Halloween there's a smaller but hardcore group that does think about it all year I believe. Thanksgiving most of us I think link with Christmas so by default we think about it (maybe not enough as an individual holiday and how amazing it is on it's own). But Christmas most of us think about throughout the year. It is truly year-round for some of us and it's fun to think about as we go through each holiday and season during the year. Well whatever holiday you're thinking about today I hope you enjoy your day!​

18. CGYager

There are five days in the year I take off for my own personal reasons. Of these, three are holidays and all have a special meaning to me. In order... .
    1. The 4th of July. I am proud to be an American and celebrate the heritage of those who brought this country into existence so many years ago.
    2. Thanksgiving. The name says it all. Though I am grateful and thankful most of the year. It is nice to see a day set aside to remind us how much we have to be thankful for.
    3. Christmas. The spirit, the changes in the people (if only for a short time) and of course the real reason for the season.
    Others do have their place, but these three have always held something special for me deep within...

19. SnowflakeMom

Thanksgiving is one of my top holidays as well! I love having everyone together and enjoying good food and company.

20. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor Christmas Crew Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Lifer

Thanksgiving and Halloween are the other 2 holidays I look forward to and think about a lot as well.

Halloween ... Love to decorate and make goodies with the kids and seeing all the kids dressed up for trick or treating. Love walking the kids around the neighborhood. DD's birthday is in Oct and a few times we hosted a Halloween themed party for her.

Thanksgiving - The local HS football game and the football games on TV. The Thanksgiving Day Parades, family and friends getting together and of course the food.

Edge612 and Holiday like this.