Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily Holiday Hangout

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edge612, Oct 1, 2016.

1. prancer

prancer Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Did u buy any more candy SFM..We all cant resist a bargain lol

Edge612, Minta and Holiday like this.
  2. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

I thought of that but it just doesn't look right with my "normal" décor. When it's Halloween they are hidden in the garland, when it's Christmas they are hidden in the "snow" and at Easter they are hidden in the Easter grass. My mantle will be looking pretty blah until it's time for fall décor!

Edge612 and Minta like this.
  3. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer

Sounds like you need some new mantle decorations for the summer ... May be some tall vases with pretty stones and a small string of lights inside or with a battery operated candle. I have notice the lanterns with the battery operated candles popping up all over the stores too.

4. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

I noticed the lanterns come out after Easter also. I think they might be a Memorial Day deal...I only say this because I noticed last year "many" house all with the same lanterns out front .

Minta, Holiday and Edge612 like this.
  5. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19, 2017
    Happy Mid-Week Pines Day! April is flying like March did. A morning like today really feels like October out there. That's one thing I always feel April reminds me of. There are a lot of similarities between those 2 months holiday-wise. We will look at those 2 months in comparison in the post for today.

If you close your eyes on many April days you might think it's October. It's very easy to put yourself in that mode this time of year. It just feels like it out there. When you think about April it really is the opposite of October. October we are moving right into the major holidays and April we are leaving them with having just ended Easter. October starts to go towards a busier time of year while April goes into a quieter time of year mid-spring through summer time. October you start to feel the first chill after a long hot summer and April you start to feel the first really warm days after a long cold winter. Halloween is when the lights come out in October for many holidays to come and Easter really ends the lights season as not too many lights are out for the summer holidays. October everyone gets their Halloween candy and April everyone gets their Easter candy. April baseball season starts and October it ends. April is the time of year you start to think about October but in October the last thing you are thinking about is April. Lots of similarities and differences between April and October in terms of the holidays. It is April...enjoy it but think about October this time of year also.

The months all really complement each other in some way. September/March and Jan/Feb have similar feels. July/August. But the one month that NOTHING feels like? December...actually I think we'd have to say November/December are similar but really its not till late November that it feels like December. December is certainly unique unlike any other month. Maybe it has to do with Christmas being that month (just "maybe"). Have a great mid-week this 2nd half of April!​

Minta and Holiday like this.
  6. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

July/August..head into a store to buy a few tanktops and all you can find is winter clothes out. Jan/Feb...go to look for a new hat or gloves...all swimsuits. I guess retailers think differently than we do..lol

7. Holiday

I love the lanterns - in fact I have one with 3 candles in the tv room & 1 with a single candle in the sun room....and I have a lighthouse lantern at the lake. They are all on timer to come on at the same time at night. So I do still have lights, it's just not quite the same. BUT we aren't home much in the summer, so it will be ok! ;)
    Lanterns are hugely popular right now as funeral "gifts" - the last few viewings we have been too, the families have received multiple lanterns. So pretty.

Minta and Edge612 like this.
  8. Holiday

Very good points. I do have to disagree on a couple -
    In April we are definitely not going into the quiet time of year - we are heading to the busiest time of year! SUMMER! :D
    And for me at the end of October our landing at the lake closes up, so I am thinking about April when the lake will be opening again!! :D
    Great post!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Minta and Edge612 like this.
  9. Minta

Last night and this morning were chiller then it has been in the past week and definitely had that fall feeling to it. For us summer is calmer then the BER months but it does have it's busy days.

Holiday and Edge612 like this.
  10. Minta

They most certainly do! It annoys me when people complain about seeing Christmas in the stores in Sept/Oct but no one says anything when bathing suits, summer clothes, grills and patio furniture pop up in the stores in Jan/Feb.

11. Edge612

and Easter out in January...I'm good with Christmas stuff being out for 6 months. No problem.

Holiday, SnowflakeMom and Minta like this.
  12. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer

Me too.....Christmas stuff out in the stores early does not bother me either...

Holiday, Edge612 and Minta like this.
  13. NcGunny

Its pretty much always been this way I guess. Btw...I saw July 4th merchandise out in AC Moore already. It all boils down into getting out of the present season fast and set your next season. I do remember when WalMarts use to set Christmas mid Sept. as soon as they could find homes for Back to School stuff. Halloween always had its own section and wasnt forced into the Garden Centers.

Holiday, Edge612 and Minta like this.
  14. Edge612

I remember right around Labor Day last year probably mid-September walking into the mall and seeing out of the corner of my eye a bunch of decorated Christmas trees (not lit yet) in Macy's and I had the biggest grin knowing the first signs of Christmas were upon us.

Holiday, SnowflakeMom and Minta like this.
  15. Edge612

THURSDAY, APRIL 20, 2017
    Hello and Good Morning Holiday fans! April is speeding along and our Halfway to Halloween month is going too fast. The next several days we'll look at more Halloween topics, some we haven't really talked about before in honor of being Halfway to Halloween. Everyone likes a good scary movie right? Especially in October...well that's the topic for today is which is your favorite All-Time scary movie? You can only choose 1...

Boo! Maybe I didn't quite scare you with that and maybe April isn't really the time of year to watch scary movies but if you are a fan of Halloween and horror movies you will watch them all year long. There's a lot of great ones and some really scary ones that I've seen from being in black and white. I think that the scariest movie I ever saw was Night of the Living Dead in B&W. I had nightmares about that movie. Nothing scarier for a kid than that. But I would say my FAVORITE horror movie would have to be the original Halloween which ironically was made in the year I was born 1978. I grew up watching the original and was always fascinated by it. Michael Myers has always been my favorite scary horror character. And that movie was great...a classic. There's a lot of great ones I enjoyed but that one is my favorite. What's your favorite horror movie of all time? Maybe this time of year you aren't in the horror mood but being halfway to the month of scary might be a good time to pop in one before the end of April to celebrate being Halfway to Halloween.

I definitely plan on watching some scary movies the next few weekends. I haven't watched many since Halloween. I know that I also need to watch more Christmas shows this summer to prep me for it all. Right now though is a good time of year cause it's nice enough out where you aren't freezing most of the time and yet it's not hot enough where you are sweating non-stop. Enjoy this time of year. Have a great day!​

Holiday and Minta like this.
  16. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. Santa's Mentor Christmas Crew MMC Lifer MMC Partner

How do you think I felt, growing up in Pittsburgh and very familiar with all the location shots (that farm house was about fifteen miles from where I grew up)! FYI, the newscaster in that film was local late night horror movie program (Chiller Theatre) host Chilly Billy Cardille, who was also a partial inspiration for Joe Flaherty's Count Floyd's Monster Chiller Horror Theater.

Holiday, Minta and Edge612 like this.
  17. Edge612

Interesting! I just remember being scared out of my mind...haven't seen that movie in forever.

Holiday and Minta like this.
  18. Minta

Growing up I loved the Nightmare on Elm street Movies.

I remember as a kid being freaked out after watching Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Holiday, SnowflakeMom and Edge612 like this.
  19. Edge612

FRIDAY, APRIL 21, 2017
    Happy Friday! Yes another Friday has arrived to give us hopes and dreams of the upcoming spring weekend. And of course every Friday is just another weekend closer to the holiday season. But for now we are in spring and trying to get rid of those April showers. Today we will continue talking about things that scare us, in honor of being halfway to Halloween, like yesterday by comparing 3 legendary horror icons that are old-school classic characters.

3 of the all-time classic horror characters are Frankenstein, Dracula & Wolfman. I've watched all 3 of their older movies and other movies like Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, and one of my favorites Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein (which has Dracula in it and the Wolfman). That's one of my favorites. But out of the 3 which overall do you find is the scariest? Wolfman was pretty frightening in his own right looking like half man half monster. Dracula always had that evil presence about him yet he could seem so normal unlike the other 2 so he had that "I can trick you" aspect to him. But that made him seem a little less scary to me from the shows I've watched with him in it. Frankenstein was the monster. Monsters were always scary to me so I have to pick him. Even though you felt like he was just a programmed monster that you could somehow stop in some way he was always that zombie like scary big intimidating monster. I think Frankenstein is the scariest of the trio but I wouldn't argue with someone who chose Dracula or Wolfman. Which is the scariest to you and what are some of your favorite movies/shows you've seen those characters portrayed in over the years?

Ahh well another weekend is approaching. As we roll towards latter April (not sure how we got this far this fast) my thoughts of being Halfway to Halloween excite me. But knowing that just means we're even far closer to the 'Bers than halfway is even more exciting. We'll continue with some interesting Halloween posts here in late April before we move on to other holiday things in May. I hope you all have a great TGIF and start to your weekend!​

CGYager, Minta, Holiday and 1 other person like this.
  20. NcGunny

I always liked Werewolf movies. Although lately there has been a influx of new " wicked witch" movies that are great. Any of the old Dracula movies are great..b/w versions especially if Peter Cushing was in them.

Minta, Holiday and Edge612 like this.