Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily Holiday Hangout

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edge612, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer

I absolutely love Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein .. actually I love anything Abbott and Costello :)

All 3 are scary in their own right ... Frankenstein is big and powerful but somewhat lumbers around giving the impression you can outrun him. Dracula seems normal until he bears those fangs ... but I think I would have to go with the werewolf .. He is fierce, hairy, menacing, quick and agile which makes you wonder if you could escape him.

Holiday, CGYager and Edge612 like this.
  2. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

I grew up watching them cause my parents were big fans. We really watched more their movies though (I think they made about 40-50 or so?) including Frankenstein.

Holiday and Minta like this.
  3. Edge612

SATURDAY, APRIL 22, 2017
    Happy 4th Weekend of April! Nice that we get a bonus weekend this month with a 5th next week huh? Hard to believe though that we are already rolling through the 4th one. Yesterday we compared 3 legendary Horror Icons in Frankenstein, Dracula & Wolfman. Today? We compare 3 other more recent Horror Icons as we continue in our Halfway to Halloween month celebration.

Through the 1980s, 1990s and into the 21st century there are 3 main horror characters most people growing up these years think of. Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees, and Freddy Krueger. Which do you find the most terrifying? I've always looked at them as all being unique just like Frankestein, Dracula & Wolfman. Michael is the silent stalking horrifying monster. Jason is the psychopathic knife-wielding slasher. Freddy is the creepy yet comical evil horror icon. They all have their strengths and very few weaknesses. To me, I've always been most afraid of Michael. Some of the scenes in Halloween shows where he would be "Across the street" and walking slowly towards your home was far more terrifying to me than anything about Jason or Freddy. I think the fact Michael gives you "time" to think about it makes it scarier. His slower moving actually makes him more scary to me. But Jason is scary don't get me wrong. Any guy with a knife and a hockey mask certainly is someone you don't want to mess with. But he would just get you before you even had time to be scared. Freddy I always compared a bit to Chucky because he was a bit of a jokester in between being evil. But Freddy certainly has an evil side getting into people's dreams and making their reality a nightmare. Who's the most scary of this legendary trio to you?

I grew up with those 3 series really taking off so I've always found it interesting to compare the 3. They all have their scary parts that's for sure. It's amazing that all these years later they are still trying to make some of these movies and reboot these series. It's just hard to replicate the classics that were done years ago. Originals are always the best. I hope you all have a not too spooky Saturday!​

CGYager and NcGunny like this.
  4. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

The reboots are almost always bad. And if it goes straight to dvd...you know its going to be a flop. It just seems they try to milk every last dollar they can out of the franchises...
    Halloween original format
    Halloween directors cut
    Halloween NR
    Halloween remastered in HD
    Halloween boxed sets in each of the above

Holiday, CGYager, Minta and 1 other person like this.
  5. Minta

I grew up watching Freddie .. really didn't watch the others that much.

Holiday, Edge612 and CGYager like this.
  6. CGYager

CGYager Santa's Helper in South Dakota Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

Ditto Minta... I have the DVD of that classic film and it gets played every year around Halloween.
    I especially love the line when Bud tells Lou that people actually pay to come to the House of Horrors to be scared and Lou replies... "I'm cheating him. I'm getting scared for free."
    A&C Meet Frankenstein.jpg

Holiday, Minta and Edge612 like this.
  7. CGYager

CGYager Santa's Helper in South Dakota Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

To be honest. I have never seen any of them. I have never been a big fan or blood and gore (though I did see some in my military years). For me, special effects just cover up bad acting or a mediocre script. It's kind of like watching the old version of the Magnificent Seven... Here comes a bad guy on horseback, cut to the guy firing his rifle, back to the person on horseback who grabs his chest, falls off the horse, hits the ground and then stops moving. I now have the concept, he is dead! Really do not need to see a slow motion impact of the bullet ripping through flesh and spurting out more blood than the human body even has.
    Personal preference I know, but that is what gives me a basis on whether or not I even go to the movies, which in these days in very rare.

8. Edge612

You should watch the original Halloween if you haven't seen it CG. Halloween 1, 2 and 4 are the ones I'd recommend. There is actually very LITTLE blood and gore in the original Halloween...which is to me what made it scary. It was much more about suspense than just blood.

9. Edge612

SUNDAY, APRIL 23, 2017
    Morning and Happy Sunday. Thanks to Coach for this: Happy 100 days till August 1. What's the big deal about August? Well if you think about it when August 1 comes we start seriously that 1 month countdown to the Bers and this thread will actually be ALL about the Bers in August this year. Something I was thinking about doing and thanks to Coach I will do so. But for now here in late April we continue our Halfway to Halloween posts with today's question something that I don't believe we've discussed before. Age is just a # isn't it...

Trick or Treating for a kid is almost as exciting as opening presents on Christmas. Ok maybe not? But maybe so. Some of my favorite memories as a kid were going trick or treating on Halloween night. Walking to our neighbors who would give us good candy every year. The aura of it being dark and being out as a kid was special. The cool weather and walking in our costumes. It was a once a year thing. It was unique. That's why we loved Trick or Treating. My question today is what age did you stop Trick or Treating? I am trying to remember how old I was. Since I had younger siblings I still went with them into my teenage years. I went more as a "watch the younger ones" sidekick but I still dressed up and people offered me candy so hey who am I not to take it? I probably did so till I was 15. After that I just walked around a few more years with them but not dressed up. My last costume was as Batman. It was one of my favorites. I enjoyed it. What age did you trick or treat till or what age have you had your kids do it till? Honestly I wish that I could do it this year...I mean would anyone find it weird a guy in his late 30s is looking for free candy? Well that's what the costumes are for...nobody can tell.

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a good weekend and there may not be any trick or treating any time soon but we are just about getting to the point that we are halfway to Halloween. Hard to believe as I remember last October us all talking about how we were getting close to the big night. So tell me about your Trick or Treating Experiences as a kid and as an adult taking your kids. I hope you all have a great end to your weekend!​

Holiday, Minta, CGYager and 1 other person like this.
  10. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer

I loved trick or treating too! I think I stopped around 14. I do remember that the people across from the street never gave candy but gave us dimes..lol As a kid who wanted dimes??

11. Edge612

They gave us change in our Unicef box which we had to bring every year for our school.

12. CGYager

Not exactly sure, but undoubtedly in my early teens. After that, it was more of staying at home, decorating the yard and handing out the candy. Of course that means the mid to late 60's. And what I miss the most is the innocence at the times. Very little ever happened on the bad side in my neighborhood which was still in L.A. county. Some treats were store bought, some were homemade, but we did not seem to worry in either case. How sad that such a relaxing and wonderful tradition had to be spoiled by a group of evil and wicked people who prefer to hurt rather than celebrate. Just look again at The Great Pumpkin special and listen to what each of the kids say they got from the previous homes (except for the rocks of course).
    Great Pumpkin.jpg

Holiday, SnowflakeMom, Minta and 2 others like this.
  13. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler Christmas Card Exchange 2017 MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

We drove close to 45 minutes away to the biggest town. They let us loose and we would meet back up at the local restaurant. Houses were far in between each other where I grew up.

Holiday, CGYager, Edge612 and 2 others like this.
  14. Minta

I stopped trick or treating in my early teens. I remember my dad driving me to see family and taking me out trick or treating in our town.

Holiday, CGYager and Edge612 like this.
  15. Edge612

MONDAY, APRIL 24, 2017
    Happy Last Week of April Christmas and Holiday fans! Yes another week has arrived and this one is the last one of April. Incredible how fast time goes. We always say that yet it doesn't seem to slow it down at all. Today is the 24th and you know what that means. Another month closer to Christmas Eve. 8 months from today! Unbelievable as we were just saying it was 11 it seems when we made it to January 24. Last month on the 24th we talked about Christmas Eve Morning and this month we continue looking ahead to Christmas Eve afternoon.

Christmas Eve is 8 months away! The months are going too fast aren't they? People laugh at us for talking about the holidays all year yet they come and go too fast. Today let's talk about what Christmas Eve Afternoon is like for us. As we turn the corner from late morning into early afternoon for me personally on that day it starts to feel special. Around noon we start making some special Christmas cookies. That is the first real tradition of the day that we do that makes it feel special. That takes us about 45 minutes - an hour. We do this early afternoon and then we begin the preparations for the big meal. We do a cheese platter and cut it up together and put it into a tray together. We used to pick up a platter on Christmas Eve but a few years ago decided it'd be more fun and relaxing to stay at home and do it ourselves. We do that and then we begin the real cooking while Christmas shows are on t.v. mid-afternoon. We have some chips/dip as just an appetizer instead of having a real lunch. We cook together from mid-afternoon on through late afternoon. As the afternoon winds down I take my special Christmas Eve walk right as afternoon is officially ending and evening is beginning at 6P.M. The remaining cooking is just starting to wrap up at that point. I'll stop there since next month we will talk about the Evening of Christmas Eve. Great place to stop right as I take my favorite walk around the blocks here on Christmas Eve around 6P.M. When I do that walk it truly puts me in a special place. What's your Christmas Eve Afternoon like?

Here we are now 8 months till Christmas Eve. Just unreal to me as it feels like have this once a month special post every time we turn around. I'd really like all of you to help me slow down time at some point this summer. Maybe the heat will? Anyway, enjoy your last Monday of April as we begin the last week of the 4th month. Happy 8 months till Christmas Eve!​

Holiday, Minta and CGYager like this.
  16. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer

These months are flying by...I can't believe Christmas Eve is 8 mths away. Unfortunately I usually work on Christmas Eve but I am done by 2 or so. My kids are usually watching some type of Christmas show/movie and then we go to church at 4.

Holiday, Minta, CGYager and 1 other person like this.
  17. Edge612

I guess you'll be off this year since it's a Sunday? And we used to go to the 5PM mass on Christmas Eve back in the day.

Holiday, Minta and CGYager like this.
  18. CGYager

Christmas Eve's did change somewhat for me after I began to work night's. Wally World is closed on Christmas Day, so obviously the night shift does not go in on Christmas Eve. But if you worked the night before, there is still that time of the day when the Sandman (not Santa) calls and the eyes close for awhile.
    This year I plan to take a few days off right around Christmas to enjoy it more. I know it may sound a bit selfish, but after missing so many in the military (but I can handle sacrifice for my country) and with the years far behind me, it is time for me to take a few moments for myself.
    This is more or less what I have in mind for this Christmas Eve..
    Christmas Eve 2017.jpg

Holiday, Minta, Edge612 and 1 other person like this.
  19. George Broderick Jr.

George Broderick Jr. Santa's Mentor Christmas Crew MMC Lifer MMC Partner

Christmas Eve day always has me driving to a nearby bakery to order my New Year's pretzels... to be picked up a week later on New Year's Eve.

Holiday, Minta, Edge612 and 2 others like this.
  20. Edge612

TUESDAY, APRIL 25, 2017
    Happy Rudolph Day #4 MMC! What the 4th Rudolph Day of 2017 already? Yes we have arrived at another Rudolph Day and we always do a special post on the 25th of the month about Christmas Day. Last month, just like with Christmas Eve, we talked about how our Christmas morning is. This month we move onward through the day and talk about our Christmas Afternoon.

Happy Rudolph Day #4! Once again it is time to focus on Christmas Day as we celebrate being now only 8 months away from Christmas. How can it be? Well it is and today we talk about Christmas Afternoon. For me, last month I left off at the tree late morning as we approach noon opening gifts on the most relaxing morning of the year. Well as afternoon hits the lasagna starts getting cooked. I'm not sure why we have lasagna on Christmas but it's been a tradition for a long time. That happens as we kind of wrap up opening gifts and cleaning up a little. We have lasagna by mid-afternoon and then honestly we just hang out. It's so different than any other afternoon of the year. Nobody really goes anywhere. Everyone may shower again or clean up a bit. The afternoon can even consist of a small nap. It's very low-key Christmas afternoon. We put away the gifts we got for Christmas and talk about how amazing it was and how this evening we'll have leftovers from Christmas Eve and hang out all night, play games, and have fun. That's what we do Christmas afternoon as we head towards the latter part towards dinner time. We take out our leftover Christmas Eve food just as we're about to hit evening. Well next month we will pick up at that point.

Now that I type out what I do on Christmas Afternoon I realize how really low-key it is and how it's the opposite of Christmas Eve Afternoon which involves baking, cooking, and setting everything up. Christmas Afternoon is just about being around the family. I guess that's why we love Christmas too. Sometimes it's the simplest days of the year that are the most special. I hope you all have a great Rudolph Day #4!​

Holiday, Minta, CGYager and 3 others like this.