Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

DVD's vs Blu-ray

Discussion in 'DVD's & Blu-Rays' started by xmas365, Aug 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. xmas365

xmas365 Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins MMC Lifer

Hey fellow Christmas nuts, as we are all most likely big Christmas movie fans, I have a question for all of you.
    Our family has just upgraded to the wonderful world of blu-ray within the last 6 months, and I have upgraded a few of our favorite DVD's to Blu-ray. The ones that I worry about most are the Christmas ones, especially the classic black and white films such as Miracle On 34th Street, and It's a Wonderful Life. Is there a major difference between the DVD and blu-ray?

I have upgraded Home Alone, Home Alone 2, and The Polar Express because I got such a great deal for them, and A Christmas Story because it is my favorite Christmas movie.

Is it worth the time and money to upgrade my Christmas DVD's to Bluray?

Holiday and snowflake22 like this.
  2. Solice

Solice Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

I have upgraded all my Christmas DVD to Blu-rays
    Definitely worth it, if you ask me =)

Holiday and xmas365 like this.
  3. Tim Babb

Tim Babb Reindeer Pooper Scooper Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member MMC Partner

For me, I only did the upgrade for the special features. They stopped putting any special features on the DVDs. But I feel like the older moves don't really have them anyway.

But quality wise, I don't think it's worth it. My kid and I have been watching Empire Strikes Back on DVD and it looks just fine

Holiday and xmas365 like this.
  4. xmas365

xmas365 Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins MMC Lifer

I have broke down and upgraded my copy of Miracle on 34th Street to blu-ray. I was swayed by the reviews on blu-ray.com. I can't wait to watch it.

Holiday likes this.
  5. dvdelf

dvdelf MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire MMC Lifer MMC Partner

Most of my collection is DVD, don't see the need to upgrade what I have already
    That said my new movie purchases are Bluray

xmas365 and Holiday like this.
  6. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

I haven't replaced everything with Blu-ray, because we have a projector that will show DVDs but not Blu-rays. I do have some Blu-rays of particular favorites to watch on the TV---and the Blu-rays are usually noticeably sharper. The exception is those that were mastered from poor original film elements---they don't really improve over the DVD. It's like that old joke about the fella that had spots before his eyes, so he put on his glasses---and said now he could see the spots better. If the source materials were dupey, scratched, dirty, or splicy, or have a noisy soundtrack, Blu-ray won't improve the viewing experience.

xmas365 and Holiday like this.
  7. brandocash

brandocash Merry Christmas in Maryland MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa

Blu Rays are high definition and DVDs are standard definition. So if you buy DVDs they aren't as crisp, bright, and have softer audio.

Alot of older DVDs were not formatted for the widescreen TVs we have now. If they say Full Screen on the box they were made for the old 4x3 TVs. Blu Ray Players and some TVs will stretch the image and it will be distorted. You can usually override the setting in your TV menu. I have the Santa Clause on standard DVD and it is full frame so I have to set my TV to 4x3 and I will then have black bars on the left and right of the picture.

I have been upgrading alot of movies to blu ray because I have so many full frame DVDs. I want the widescreen and surround sound. However, then I run into some things being changed or cut out from VHS to DVD to Blu Ray. The Star Wars movies are infamous for that. On the Muppet's Christmas Carol DVD and Blu Ray an entire song is taken out of the movie that once appeared on the VHS. The Santa Clause has a joke Tim Allen tells taken out because it involved a real phone number that some kids called and it wasn't kid friendly. My favorite difference from DVD to Blu Ray is in Santa Claus is Coming to Town. During the jail break scene, the reindeer are flying through the sky and in the Blu Ray you can see the cables going from star to star that light up the background since it has been upconverted to HD. I'm sure something they didn't think anyone would ever see or notice.

I do believe blu-rays will be going away in the next few years due to the popularity of buying movies digitally and streaming either through iTunes or Amazon. I haven't bought a blu ray disc since Star Wars earlier this year and I only did because the blu ray, dvd, digital copy was the same price as just the digital copy.

xmas365 likes this.
  8. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

Good point ... Blu-rays will sometimes show details that wouldn't have been noticed when a 35mm print was projected (or broadcast). "Glass shots" and special effects that are physically wired sometimes become painfully apparent.

xmas365 likes this.
  9. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa Christmas.com Alum MMC Founder Christmas Talk Alum

I find I have to be really careful when getting old movies as Blu Rays -- and mostly because my player "upscales" regular DVDs to near Blu Ray quality.

With newer release movies the difference is still plain to see. It's really made me dislike some newer movies because the quality is almost TOO good and heavily CGI produced movies like The Avengers just look too fake. They are sharp, but fake looking.

On the older movies it is frankly too hard for me to notice a difference between a Blu Ray and a DVD. I scored copies of both kinds with It's a Wonderful Life and White Christmas -- and for the life of me they both look exactly the same.

Given equipment differences and TV resolution types out there now, your mileage may vary.

xmas365 likes this.
  10. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

I held off on Blu Ray for quite awhile just because of the price of a dvd. Finally bought a Sony Blu Ray 2 years ago and now have almost replaced my entire collection of dvd's. I do have to switch the tv to different movie types to get the best picture. And even with the new tv, CGI heavy movies still have a weird look.

xmas365 likes this.
  11. xmasfan95

xmasfan95 Reindeer Pooper Scooper MMC Member

I don't really notice the difference in quality between the two. The only time I did notice was when we rented the Blu-Ray of Toy Story 2, and that's only because Toy Story 2 is one of my favorite movies that I've seen a million times, so of course I noticed textures and such that I hadn't seen before.

Basically, my family has described Blu-Ray quality as, "It's a bit better than DVD, but you have to play both versions side by side to see the difference."

So, I definitely just stick with DVD. If VHS was an option, I'd go with that, because I like the "hum" it makes as it plays. Movies just don't seem as interesting anymore in digital form (though admittedly that's just my opinion).