Easter

Mumof2

One Happy lil Elf
MMC Lifer
Oct 23, 2007
Boston, Ma
www.facebook.com
Easter is another Holiday I love!
It's April 12th this year,I love when it's April. I can remember as a kid going to get my dress,making the eggs,big family breakfast and dinner,making a basket cake,Hoping it wasn't gonna be freezing that day,oh and of course my basket filled with goodies,especially those lil egg gum cartons..lol I still love them and the Easter bunny still puts them in my basket!
Now that I have kids we make a basket cake and get messy and have a blast.you can find a recipe online.

So is anyone else excited about Easter? or any other upcomming holiday? Memories? do tell!

Annette

Christmas Princess
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2007
Washington
Daughter and I love to color eggs. Easter morning S/O... I mean the Easter Bunny hides them outside and she goes out to find them after she finds her basket. =)

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com
I love Easter....mostly for the reason...but I also like all the traditions...like that easter bunny and everything.....

one particular easter...we had snow very late.....very, very late....and we were searching the eggs and little presents in the basket....in the snow.......My mom was sad she painted the eggs....because it would have been quite interessting to search for white eggs....in the snow...haha

MsChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 8, 2008
Maryland, USA
I also love Easter! I have quite a few decorations and cant wait to put them out. My son will be 2 years old this Easter and Im hoping he will be able to help dye eggs and maybe egg hunt this year since last year he was too young. I also would like to start some new traditions with my son this year! cheesy

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
I always call Easter my mini-Christmas! I get a half day off of work on Good Friday so I just take the whole day off and since I have to be at work at midnight on Sun. night (Easter) I take that day off too. So, I finish up work on Thurs. morning and don't return until midnight Mon. It's such a great break to look forward to. On Palm Sunday I serve pancake breakfast at the fire dept. We do a Palm Sunday pancake breakfast every year and I always look forward to eating some of those pancakes because they seem to taste better than ones that I might eat throughout the rest of the year! The sausage is really good too! I remember as a kid my mom would make a bunny cake and it was so cute but, nobody would eat it because she would put coconut on it for the "fur" and we didn't like coconut! Here's something funny that I remember too. On Halloween each year my mom would tell us not to eat any candy until she inspects it. So we usually didn't. Then when we got home we would dump out our bags and go through it all and my mom would always take the Mallow cups out because my brother and I hated them (still do.) So, my mom loved them and would gather all of them up from us and freeze them because that's how she liked to eat them. So, Easter morning we get up and run to our Easter baskets and what do we find in there...Mallow cups! I guess my mom wanted to make sure she got something for herself since we were just kids and couldn't make her a basket ourselves and it never crossed our minds since we thought that Easter Bunny brought the stuff anyway. I guess my mom put in a special order with the Easter Bunny for those nasty Mallow cups! She laughs when I talk about that today because she doesn't remember it but, I do and I think it's funny now when I think about it. We always used to get an outfit for Easter too but, sometimes it was just too cold to wear it. I hate when Easter comes in March. It's still winter to me and it's too cold. I don't even decorate my house when it's in March because I think the pastel colors of Easter should be associated with Spring and March isn't spring to me! I'm glad it's April 12th this year. I can't wait actually.

Meceka

MMC Associate Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 27, 2008
Mid-Michigan
I love Easter, too. The one memory that sticks in my mind is the basket that my Mom gave me when I was six. It was a real basket not one of those cheap ones that are made just for children. She hid it and it took forever to find. Loved that basket! I had it for years - about 25 to be precise. It was what I put the crocheting or cross stitching project that I was currently working on in. I would still have it except that one year a very bad wind storm came through and knocked a robin's nest out of the apple tree by the house. My brother found the babies on the ground. They were scared but appeared to be unharmed. That was amazing because there were cats hanging around the tree. Any how, I volunteered my basket and my brother hung it in the tree, close to where the nest had originally been. He put the babies in it and climbed out of the tree. We only had to wait a few minutes until the parent birds moved in. The basket was used every year until the elements finally destroyed it.

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
=)

Agreed on all of this!
We even had snow 2 years ago and did eggs in the light snow!
=)
Reason for the Holiday is the most special gift to us.... but the commercial side is a fun part as well to help celebrate his rising!

I love Easter....mostly for the reason...but I also like all the traditions...like that easter bunny and everything.....

one particular easter...we had snow very late.....very, very late....and we were searching the eggs and little presents in the basket....in the snow.......My mom was sad she painted the eggs....because it would have been quite interessting to search for white eggs....in the snow...haha

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com
I always call Easter my mini-Christmas! I get a half day off of work on Good Friday so I just take the whole day off and since I have to be at work at midnight on Sun. night (Easter) I take that day off too. So, I finish up work on Thurs. morning and don't return until midnight Mon. It's such a great break to look forward to. On Palm Sunday I serve pancake breakfast at the fire dept. We do a Palm Sunday pancake breakfast every year and I always look forward to eating some of those pancakes because they seem to taste better than ones that I might eat throughout the rest of the year! The sausage is really good too! I remember as a kid my mom would make a bunny cake and it was so cute but, nobody would eat it because she would put coconut on it for the "fur" and we didn't like coconut! Here's something funny that I remember too. On Halloween each year my mom would tell us not to eat any candy until she inspects it. So we usually didn't. Then when we got home we would dump out our bags and go through it all and my mom would always take the Mallow cups out because my brother and I hated them (still do.) So, my mom loved them and would gather all of them up from us and freeze them because that's how she liked to eat them. So, Easter morning we get up and run to our Easter baskets and what do we find in there...Mallow cups! I guess my mom wanted to make sure she got something for herself since we were just kids and couldn't make her a basket ourselves and it never crossed our minds since we thought that Easter Bunny brought the stuff anyway. I guess my mom put in a special order with the Easter Bunny for those nasty Mallow cups! She laughs when I talk about that today because she doesn't remember it but, I do and I think it's funny now when I think about it. We always used to get an outfit for Easter too but, sometimes it was just too cold to wear it. I hate when Easter comes in March. It's still winter to me and it's too cold. I don't even decorate my house when it's in March because I think the pastel colors of Easter should be associated with Spring and March isn't spring to me! I'm glad it's April 12th this year. I can't wait actually.

Wow...I always thought Good Friday was a public holiday over there, too....in Germany....most people don´t work from Good Friday--until Monday...which is Easter Monday....Tuesday is the first day of work....

ok...Saturday is not a public holiday....so the people who work in shops and stores are working

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com
Agreed on all of this!
We even had snow 2 years ago and did eggs in the light snow!
=)
Reason for the Holiday is the most special gift to us.... but the commercial side is a fun part as well to help celebrate his rising![/quote]

that´s how I feel too....some people only do one of each....I know a friend who is very religious,....I am too....but he wouldn´t ever tell his kids about Santa or the Easter Bunny, because they have nothing to do with Easter.....he also thinks Harry Potter seduces children to black magic and is a big danger...

to me Santa and the Easter bunny...are ways to make those holiday more exiting for children....and when children like something...they want to know more...

SparkleNana

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 19, 2008
This thread about easter is wonderful! I love it all too -- the reason, of course, is #1. But all the fun things are great - and so important for the kids!!!!

Meceka - that story about putting the basket in the tree for the robins is great! I am going to try that this year - and see if a robin family moves in!

Mumof2

One Happy lil Elf
MMC Lifer
Oct 23, 2007
Boston, Ma
www.facebook.com
Easter is the official start of spring for me,or is it unofficial.but anyhow I love to buy bright colors to wear for spring and of course my Daughters dress and my son,well I don't put him in pink,he'd pass out! but I do try to get him into a tie or vest,and of course the traditional scally cap.coloring the eggs is a blast! I love it all.
I also think the basket in the tree is very cute too!

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
Memories of past Easters, sure do.

I have my Dad's old movies and it is so neat to see the people walking home from Church (I lived in a small community with a local church). Back then going to church on Easter morning was very important.
My mother always bought me a new dress, hat, gloves and shoes and my cousins would come for dinner in their Easter outfits. And my Dad would have his movie camera taking pictures which I can watch today. So nice.

Then when I got married and started my family, we always went home to my parents for Easter. My brother and his family traveled from Michigan and it was a special time of coloring eggs, going out dancing (my parents loved to watch the babies) and the house filled with relatives. Then when I moved near my parents, I would go up and clean their house getting it ready for Easter company. My mom would have all the grandchildren's Easter baskets lined up on her piano. And we had a big joke about Marshmellow Peeps.

My mom always bought Marshmellow Peeps and put them in my kids basket. My kids and my niece did not like Marshmellow Peeps. But every year they were in the grandchildren's baskets. So one year we did a picture board with captions under the Easter pictures about Marshmellow Peeps. This was done at my house because once we moved away I started hosting the holiday dinners. We had so much fun using picture of my kids and niece during past Easters with captions under the pictures about Marshmellow Peeps.

Now it's kinda sad things change so much as far as family get togethers.

But one thing that will never change is what we are celebrating which is the resurrection of our Savior, Jesus Christ. He gives the greatest gift.

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com
our church has a service starting at 6 in morning on Easter Sunday.....We went there quite often....before we go inside...there´s a bonfire outside and we are praying and wishing each other a Happy Easter Day.....after that we go inside and listen to our preacher and sing......when the service is over....all the people who came to church are invited to have breakfast together....in church.....I really love this come together on Easter Sunday....We might go there this year...with Kandice

Mumof2

One Happy lil Elf
MMC Lifer
Oct 23, 2007
Boston, Ma
www.facebook.com
My Mum loves her Peeps! I always got her a new plant,card and her chick peeps...lol I love remembering little things like that.thanks Joyful for joggin my memory :)

Mumof2

One Happy lil Elf
MMC Lifer
Oct 23, 2007
Boston, Ma
www.facebook.com
Another thing I do is Easter crafts,like foam projects you can get at michaels.I type in "free easter printables" in the web search box on my home page and I find coloring pages,puzzles,craft ideas,and printable stickers.I goto wal-mart and buy those blank sticker sheets and print my own. Another place is Family Fun Magazine,they have tons of stuff online.then there is Michaels.com they have a kids site you can join and it also gives you projects..I can't wait to start.

Jolly Old Elf Mary

Tinsel Straightener
MMC Member
Nov 29, 2008
Kentucky
I'm so happy to see this thread! Easter is another of my favorite holidays.

I've already been shopping for Easter stuff. I like to shop for the decorations, candy and little gifts, before the world is even thinking of the holiday. This way I can get what I want, before it is picked through.

We have Easter at my parent's farm. I hope the weather is nice, so everyone can stay outside. Last year was cold and a little overcast.

As far as childhood memories, I just remember the anticipation of the Easter Bunny's visit. I would count down the days and when he would finally come, waking up to find my Easter basket on the floor, at the end of the bed. It always had a little Easter toy, a chocolate bunny and alot of candy. Then, the rest of the family would arrive to the farm for a huge Easter lunch/dinner and then the egg hunt.

Also, I remember the coloring of the eggs, the day before Easter.

I'm 39 years old and we still do the above, except I haven't colored eggs in years. I'm thinking of doing that this year, just for me.

Now, when we hide eggs, we hide plastic eggs filled with toys, candy and money. If anyone makes real eggs, we just enjoy sitting around, with a salt and pepper shaker, devouring those beautiful eggs.

I plan to start giving my house a good cleaning this weekend and finish sometime next week. Then, I'll start decorating for the holiday. I have several Easter decorations, but not as many as Christmas. I love all the pastel colors and symbols of the holiday, that I like to decorate a month in advance, so I can enjoy them.

One person mentioned that they don't decorate when Easter falls in March, due to it still being winter. I still decorate, because the pastel colors is a constant reminder of warmer days ahead. :)

Reactions: 1 person

HolidayHoney

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 27, 2008
My daughter and I were in WalMart today....she is 21.....and she was pointing things out to me that she wants in her Easter basket this year!! I will always make her a basket, just as I always make her a stocking. cheesy

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image